Astronomers have found a new, potentially habitable Earth-sized planet. It is one of two new planets discovered around the star Gliese 581, some 20 light years away. The planet, Gliese 581g, is located in a "habitable zone" -a distance from the star where the planet receives just the right amount of stellar energy to maintain liquid water at or near the planet's surface. The 11- year study, published in the Astrophysical Journal and posted online at arXiv.org, suggests that the fraction of stars in the Milky Way harboring potentially habitable planets could be greater than previously thought -as much as a few tens of percent.
- Potentially habitable planet discoveredWed, 29 Sep 2010, 17:30:56 EDT
- Newly discovered planet may be first truly habitable exoplanetFri, 1 Oct 2010, 10:43:53 EDT
- Newly discovered planet may be first truly habitable exoplanetWed, 29 Sep 2010, 17:30:58 EDT
- 15 new planets hint at 'traffic jam' of moons in habitable zoneMon, 7 Jan 2013, 10:33:00 EST
- Earth-like planets are right next doorWed, 6 Feb 2013, 11:35:11 EST