Popular Science articles about Biology & Nature
Scientists at NYU Langone Medical Center and New York University have demonstrated that a specialized DNA-binding protein called CTCF is essential for the precise expression of genes that control the...
With apologies to the poet John Donne, and based on recent work from the U.S. Department of Energy Joint Genome Institute (DOE JGI), a DOE Office of Science user facility,...
Most people have taken an antibiotic to treat a bacterial infection. Now researchers from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the University of San Diego, La Jolla,...
Our susceptibility to disease depends both on the genes that we inherit from our parents and on our lifetime experiences. These two components -- nature and nurture -- seem to...
The use of animals in experimental research has soared at leading US laboratories in recent years, finds research published online in the Journal of Medical Ethics.
Tropical turtle fossils discovered in Wyoming by University of Florida scientists reveal that when Earth got warmer, prehistoric turtles headed north. But if today's turtles try the same technique to...
Biodiversity, including small predators such as dragonflies and other aquatic bugs that attack and consume parasites, may improve the health of amphibians, according to a team of researchers. Amphibians have...
Genetically modified crops have long drawn fire from opponents worried about potential contamination of conventional crops and other plants. Now a plant gene discovered by University of Guelph scientists might...
When oil from the Deepwater Horizon spill first began washing ashore on Pensacola Municipal Beach in June 2010, populations of sensitive microorganisms, including those that capture sunlight or fix nitrogen...
Biology News in Images
- Human Antibodies Target Marburg, Ebola Viruses; One Step Closer to Vaccine
- New genetic technologies offer hope for white rhino
- Synthetic biology breakthrough leads to cheaper statin production
- China bans ivory carving imports for one year
- Aggressive plant fungus threatens wheat production
- Research Shows Asian Herb Holds Promise as Treatment for Ebola Virus Disease
- Research captures transient details of HIV genome packaging
- Living in the genetic comfort zone
- Retroviruses: Human Embryos May Be Affected By Ancient Viral Invaders
- 'Big Brain' Gene Found in Humans, Not Chimps
- Combating bacteria via silver-dammar coating
- 100,000 bird samples online
- Plant protein structure database will help to uncover unknown functions of plant genes
- Bacteria 'hotwire their genes' to fix a faulty motor
- Humans Can Only Distinguish Between About 30 Shades Of Gray
- Bacteria Pipe Food To Each Other Using Tiny Tubes
- Why Do We Have Eyelashes?
- Parasite infecting Florida snails poses health danger
- Researchers Develop Method for Mapping Neuron Clusters
- Could Squirmy Livestock Dent Africa's Protein Deficit?
- Skeleton of cells controls cell multiplication
- A taxi ride to starch granules
- Op-Ed Contributor: Nothing Is Wrong With Your Sex Drive
- Novel gene variants discovered in a difficult childhood immune disorder
- The enzyme hunters
- The eyes have it: Cats put sight over smell in finding food
- Feds spot third baby orca born recently to imperiled pods
- VIDEO: Bionic eye will 'restore sight'
- How the landscape of the pancreatic cancer genome is coming into view
- Intermediary neuron acts as synaptic cloaking device
Popular Biology news
- Fighting the Colorado potato beetle with RNA interference
- Malaria plays hide-and-seek with immune system by using long noncoding RNA to switch genes
- Amphibian chytrid fungus reaches Madagascar
- Sharp rise in experimental animal research in US
- Study affirms role of specialized protein in assuring normal cell development
- UNL researcher: More infectious diseases emerging because of climate change
- Did genetic links to modern maladies provide ancient benefits?
- Addressing feral cats' diet may help protect native species
- Ancient 'genomic parasites' spurred evolution of pregnancy in mammals
- How the Eastern tiger swallowtail got 'scary'