Popular Science articles about Biology & Nature
Diet exerts a major impact on health and aging. The nervous system plays an important role in this process but, thus far, how food signals are interpreted by the nervous...
Madagascar is home to extraordinary biodiversity, but in the past few decades, the island's forests and associated biodiversity have been under greater attack than ever. Rapid deforestation is affecting the...
When you mention rich ecosystems that are vital for life on Earth, people tend to think of rainforests, but ocean plankton are actually just as crucial. The microscopic beings that...
Last year, researchers at the University of Missouri published a study on genetic diversity in American black bears in Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma and determined that conservation management is needed...
The original snake ancestor was a nocturnal, stealth-hunting predator that had tiny hindlimbs with ankles and toes, according to research published in the open access journal BMC Evolutionary Biology.
It's no wonder that giant pandas are always chewing and eating, say Chinese researchers: their gut bacteria are not the type for efficiently digesting bamboo.
Jumping spiders were already known to see in remarkably high resolution, especially considering that their bodies are less than a centimeter long. Now, researchers reporting in the Cell Press journal...
Biology News in Images
- How container-grown plants capture sprinkler irrigation water
- Cold sore virus 'treats skin cancer'
- Protein scaffold
- On the trail of the clever snail: Animals, like humans, excel at some tasks but not others
- Expanding the code of life with new 'letters'
- Treatments of hot water with calcium found effective for kiwifruit
- Sandwich system found effective in organic apple orchards
- Imaging test may identify biomarker of Alzheimer's disease
- In warblers, longer migration means drabber females
- Ebola gatekeeper protein identified
- Who Needs Water to Assemble DNA? Non-Aqueous Solvent Supports DNA Nanotechnology
- Researchers develop a novel device to image the minute forces and actions involved in cell membrane hemifusion
- Zebra shark loves belly rubs
- Thorny frog and dementor wasp among new species discovered in Mekong
- Fertilization regimen reduces environmental impact of landscape palms
- Wild dogs cause problems for people in Nepal
- NYU Researchers Find "Decoder Ring" Powers in Micro RNA
- Protein silences endogenous retroviral genomes integrated in cellular DNA
- Using leeches to measure mammal biodiversity
- Hold Off Germline DNA Editing For Now, White House Says
- FAU Researcher Leads First-Ever International Project to Track Neonate Flatback Turtles in Australia Using Satellite Technology
- Researchers find migration risks likely led to drab colored female birds
- Study suggests genetic basis for same-sex sexual behavior offers evolutionary advantage
- Changes in forest structure affect bees and other pollinators
- Scientists Make Novel Attempt to Save Giant Turtle Species
- Faster evolution not responsible for tropical biodiversity
- ZIF-8 disrupts ionic liquid deep freeze
- How DNA is organized in our cells
- From worker to queen at the drop of a gene
- Nanotechnology identifies brain tumor types through MRI 'virtual biopsy' in animal studies