Popular Science articles about Paleontology & Archaeology
Scientists have used one of the brightest lights in the Universe to expose the biochemical structure of a 50 million-year-old fossil plant to stunning visual effect.
Archaeologists have found the oldest complete example in the world of a human with metastatic cancer in a 3,000 year-old skeleton.
The skull of a newly discovered 325-million-year-old shark-like species suggests that early cartilaginous and bony fishes have more to tell us about the early evolution of jawed vertebrates -- including...
Researchers from North Carolina State University and the University of Tennessee have found that environmental stressors -- from the Trail of Tears to the Civil War -- led to significant...
Technical objections to the idea that Neandertals interbred with the ancestors of Eurasians have been overcome, thanks to a genome analysis method described in the April 2014 issue of the...
A three-year study of ancient clam gardens in the Pacific Northwest has led researchers, including three from Simon Fraser University, to make a discovery that could benefit coastal communities' food...
Using ancient DNA analysis and other techniques, a research team led by conservation biologists at the University of California, Riverside has determined that bighorn sheep, so named for their massive...
This week in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B, a team of French and Swedish researchers present the earliest fossil evidence for the presence of bone marrow in...
Did the Polynesians beat Columbus to South America? Not according to the tale of migration uncovered by analysis of ancient DNA from chicken bones recovered in archaeological digs across the...
Archaeology News in Images
- Bloody souvenir not from decapitated French king: DNA
- 'Godzilla' the Hockey Goalie? Rare Mineral Specimen Up for Sale
- 3-D Insect Models by New Scanning System Reveal True Color | Video
- Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
- Quail Assembling - Nikon Small World photomicrography competition
- Coast Survey ship finds 19th century shipwreck off Golden Gate Bridge — again
- Oceanographer Ballard elected to American Academy
- New discovery helps solve mystery source of African lava
- Medieval bishop's theory resembles modern concept of multiple universes
- VIDEO: Film features plight of African park
- Former Iron Curtain still barrier for deer
- Deep-Sea Robot Explores Shipwrecks Thursday: Watch Live Online
- Kepler - Young Earth Creationist
- Remote surveillance may increase chance of survival for 'uncontacted' Brazilian tribes
- 20 New Dinosaur Species Found In Utah
- Biting vs. chewing: Cutting their food helps kids behave better
- Archaeologists, tribe clash over Native remains
- Creationist Debate Stalls South Carolina State Fossil Bill
- Google Doodle Celebrates Earth Day With Adorable Animals
- Micro-scale technique helps preserve rock art legacy
- New Crustaceans Found Crawling on Dead Whale Bones Off Antarctica
- Shakespeare at 450: How science may have influenced his work
- New mineral shows nature's infinite variability
- Neanderthals Had Shallow Gene Pool, Study Says
- Pictures: Climbing Everest Through History
- With a Bullet: China's High-Speed Rail Dream Begins to take Flight (Op-Ed)
- Massive Alberta bighorn might be biggest ever
- Study in Europe eclipses notion home in the sun equals happiness
- Mt. Everest: Why Do People Keep Climbing It?
- The amazing diversity of animal life in pictures
Popular Paleontology news
- Ancient 'spider' images reveal eye-opening secrets
- Berkeley graduate student brings extinct plants to life
- Dinosaur chase reconstructed 70 years after excavation
- La Brea Tar Pit fossil research shows climate change drove evolution of Ice Age predators
- Neck ribs in woolly mammoths provide clues about their decline and eventual extinction