Popular Science articles about Paleontology & Archaeology
Researchers from North Carolina State University and the University of Tennessee have found that environmental stressors -- from the Trail of Tears to the Civil War -- led to significant...
Technical objections to the idea that Neandertals interbred with the ancestors of Eurasians have been overcome, thanks to a genome analysis method described in the April 2014 issue of the...
A three-year study of ancient clam gardens in the Pacific Northwest has led researchers, including three from Simon Fraser University, to make a discovery that could benefit coastal communities' food...
Using ancient DNA analysis and other techniques, a research team led by conservation biologists at the University of California, Riverside has determined that bighorn sheep, so named for their massive...
This week in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B, a team of French and Swedish researchers present the earliest fossil evidence for the presence of bone marrow in...
Did the Polynesians beat Columbus to South America? Not according to the tale of migration uncovered by analysis of ancient DNA from chicken bones recovered in archaeological digs across the...
Scientists have used one of the brightest lights in the Universe to expose the biochemical structure of a 50 million-year-old fossil plant to stunning visual effect.
Archaeologists have found the oldest complete example in the world of a human with metastatic cancer in a 3,000 year-old skeleton.
Archaeology News in Images
- Ancient DNA Offers Clues To How Barnyard Chickens Came To Be
- Genetic study tackles mystery of slow plant domestications
- Chief Warden Shot in Africa's Oldest National Park
- In Photos: Animal Prints on Ancient Roman Tiles
- Chickens to chili peppers: Scientists search for the first genetic engineers
- Researchers uncover likely creator of Bitcoin
- Ah-CHOO! 7 Tickling Facts About Sneezing
- Mountainous Fib: Andes Lie About Their Age
- Egypt's Population Boom Threatens Cultural Treasures
- Brutish and short? DNA 'switch' sheds light on Neanderthals
- Rescue of Ancient Ruin of Pompeii Follows New Plan
- New specimens of Yanornis indicate a digestive system of living birds
- Pterosaurs cast a giant shadow over today's biggest winged creatures
- Orchid named after UC Riverside researcher
- Beard trend 'guided by evolution'
- Ancient life 'frozen' by space impact
- Roman dig 'transforms understanding' of ancient port
- Portland plans reservoir flush after teen cited
- ‘The Temptation of Despair’
- Researchers reveal relationships between rare languages in the Colombian Amazon
- Early meat-eater may have led to larger plant-eaters
- Changing dinosaur tracks spurs novel approach
- Made-in-Wisconsin Atom Probe Assisted Dating of Oldest Piece of Earth
- Art for viewers’ sake
- Archaeological, genetic evidence expands views of domestication
- India's ancient mammals survived multiple pressures
- Medieval slave trade routes in Eastern Europe extended from Finland and the Baltic Countries to Asia
- Crowd-sourcing Britain's Bronze Age
- Down’s syndrome goes beyond chromosome 21
- Drone images reveal ancient village in New Mexico