Popular Science articles about Paleontology & Archaeology
A new study of fossil fishes from Middle Triassic sediments on the shores of Lake Lugano provides new insights into the recovery of biodiversity following the great mass extinction event...
University of California, Berkeley paleontologists have identified distinctive features of primate teeth that allow them to track the evolution of our ape and monkey ancestors, shedding light on a mysterious...
Sauropod dinosaurs were the largest land-dwelling animals of all time, with highly elongated necks and tails that were held suspended above the ground.
University of Florida geochemist Andrea Dutton and colleagues at the University of Michigan have utilized a new technique of analysis to reconstruct Antarctic ocean temperatures that support the idea that...
An ancient latrine near a desert in north-western China has revealed the first archaeological evidence that travellers along the Silk Road were responsible for the spread of infectious diseases along...
If the origin of life is common on other worlds, the universe should be a cosmic zoo full of complex multicellular organisms.
Early life forms on Earth are likely to have mutated and evolved at much higher rates than they do today, suggests a new analysis from researchers at the University of...
Exceedingly well-preserved bird fossil specimens dating 50 million years represent a new species that is a previously unknown relative of the modern-day ostrich, according to a new paper co-authored by...
QUT evolutionary biologist Dr Matthew Phillips used molecular dating from DNA sequences to challenge the dominant scientific theory that placental mammals diversified 20 million years before dinosaurs became extinct.
Archaeology News in Images
- Sibling competition helped guide dispersal in pre-industrial populations
- New index reveals likelihood of terrestrial or aquatic lifestyles of extinct mammals
- Human ‘super predator’ more terrifying than bears, wolves and dogs
- DNA analyses reveal genetic identities of world's first farmers
- Solar Impulse 2 leaves Egypt on final leg of historic world tour
- 2 dead, 14 injured in a Florida nightclub shooting on teen night
- Dueling waterspouts cross paths off Hilton Head Island
- Historic find: A statue of an egyptian official at tel-hazor in israel
- Norman Reedus, Andrew Lincoln 'Walking Dead' glitter war spills over into Comic-Con
- Germany suicide bomber was scheduled for deportation, pledged loyalty to Islamic State
- Extra Fingers and Toes Were Revered in Ancient Culture
- Photos: Take a Tour of Utah's Zion National Park
- Trilobites: A Fish Outlived the Dinosaurs. Can It Outlast a Dam?
- Manatees head to Caribbean in first ever repopulation scheme
- Colorado's Trevor Story has a rookie HR record tale to tell
- Cris Sale complicates White Sox trade with uniform stunt
- Texas Rangers edge Kansas City Royals behind strong effort from A.J. Griffin
- Jay Bruce, Keyvius Sampson lift Cincinnati Reds to victory
- 19,000 Sea Turtle Eggs Seized in Anti-Smuggling Operation
- Amber Heard linked to Elon Musk amid Johnny Depp divorce
- 5,000 to 10,000 Islamic State fighters in Mosul, Iraq; some expected to relocate
- Brie Larson confirmed to play Captain Marvel; actress also appears in 'Kong: Skull Island' trailer
- Colin Farrell, Eddie Redmayne appear in magical new trailer for 'Fantastic Beasts'
- Police say teen Munich shooter researched mass shootings
- Bones Deep
- Alberta teens detained for Pokemon Go U.S. border crossing
- How rope was made 40,000 years ago
- Mummy Hair Points to a Low-Stress Life in Ancient South America
- North Miami officials name officer involved in shooting of unarmed mental-health worker
- Blood of King Albert I identified, conspiracy theories quashed
Popular Paleontology news
- First discovery from 'New Riversleigh' -- a new extinct carnivorous marsupial
- Ancient feces provides earliest evidence of infectious disease being carried on Silk Road
- Ancient rocks reveal how Earth recovered from mass extinction
- Paleontology: Aftermath of a mass extinction
- Ridiculously cute mouse lemurs hold key to Madagascar's past
- Cave discoveries shed new light on Native and European religious encounters in the Americas
- Hundreds of years later, teeth tell the story of people who didn't get enough sunshine
- For ancient deep-sea plankton, a long decline before extinction
- Eight-year-old boy discovers early turtle fossil that solves the mystery of the turtle shell
- Genome of 6,000-year-old barley grains sequenced for first time