Popular Science articles about Paleontology & Archaeology
A University of Otago, New Zealand, PhD student analysing dental calculus (hardened plaque) from ancient teeth is helping resolve the question of what plant foods Easter Islanders relied on before...
Oil reservoirs are scattered deep inside Earth like far-flung islands in the ocean, so their inhabitants might be expected to be very different, but a new study led by Dartmouth...
New research from the University of Kent suggests that chickens and turkeys have experienced fewer gross genomic changes than other birds as they evolved from their dinosaur ancestor.
Sweating, panting, moving to the shade, or taking a dip are all time-honored methods used by animals to cool down. The implicit goal of these adaptations is always to keep...
A small stone container found by archaeologists a half-century ago has now been recognized as further evidence of a Viking or Medieval Norse presence in Arctic Canada during the centuries...
The absence of teeth or "edentulism" has evolved on multiple occasions within vertebrates including birds, turtles, and a few groups of mammals such as anteaters, baleen whales and pangolins. Where...
The first scientific evidence of frankincense being used in Roman burial rites in Britain has been uncovered by a team of archaeological scientists led by the University of Bradford. The...
An international team of more than 100 researchers--including Dr. Michelle Trautwein of the California Academy of Sciences--has published the first modern roadmap of insect evolution. Understanding how insects are related...
Archaeology News in Images
- Study: Large carnivores gaining ground in Europe
- 550-million-year-old fossils provide new clues about fossil formation
- Archaeologists unearth royal entry complex at Herodian Hilltop Palace
- The Unbreakable Laura Hillenbrand
- Hackers vs James Bond: SPECTRE script stolen in Sony attack
- Year in Science: Ancient and Modern Riddles Revealed
- 8,000-Year-Old Olive Oil Found in Ancient Clay Pots
- Anthropologists: Ancient man was an opportunist, not a paleo dieter
- Hackers invoke 9/11 in new chilling Sony threat
- Fool's Gold Preserves Some of Earth's Oldest Fossils
- Ancient Farmhouse Found in Israel Reveals Agricultural Secrets
- Is This 158-Year-Old Redwood the UK's Oldest Living Christmas Tree?
- Peculiar Extinct Fish With Spines Named for National Geographic
- Boko Haram abducts 185, kills 33 in attack
- 'Dinosaur eggs' spotted on Rosetta’s comet
- Million-Mummy Cemetery Unearthed in Egypt
- Fewer lectures, more group work
- Meet the man behind the future of mobile identity
- Discovery of official clay seals support existence of biblical kings David and Solomon, archaeologists say
- Alcatraz escapees 'may have survived'
- Scientists befuddled by rock containing 30,000 diamonds
- Gothic cathedrals blend iron and stone
- Europe's Venus probe set for fiery demise
- Montana man guilty of killing German exchange student
- 72 Years Later, Snubbed Captain Credited With Downing German U-Boat
- Texas plumber's truck shows up in Syria with guns mounted on it
- Take Us to Your Leader! Amazing Views of Micro Life
- George Stinney Jr., executed at 14, cleared of murder 70 years later
- Burg Recognized as National Academy of Inventors Fellow
- Former Texas justice of the peace sentenced to death