Popular Science articles about Paleontology & Archaeology
In a collaborative study by the University of Oklahoma, University of Chicago, University of California, Merced, and Uppsala University, researchers conduct the first ancient DNA investigation of the Himalayan arc,...
The researchers have established that chickens - just like people - have colour constancy. For birds, this means that they, in different environments and under different lighting conditions, recognise the...
Scientists using evidence from bison fossils have determined when an ice-free corridor opened up along the Rocky Mountains during the late Pleistocene. The corridor has been considered a potential route...
The Neanderthal genome included harmful mutations that made the hominids around 40% less reproductively fit than modern humans, according to estimates published in the latest issue of the journal GENETICS....
The question, 'Where do domestic dogs come from?', has vexed scholars for a very long time. Some argue that humans first domesticated wolves in Europe, while others claim this happened...
Archaeologists at the University of York have undertaken pioneering scans of the highest prehistoric paintings of animals in Europe.
Insects have evolved diverse types of camouflage that have played an important role in their evolutionary success. Debris-carrying, a behavior of actively harvesting and carrying exogenous materials, is among the most fascinating and complex behaviors because it requires not only...
Giant Ice Age species including elephant-sized sloths and powerful sabre-toothed cats that once roamed the windswept plains of Patagonia, southern South America, were finally felled by a perfect storm of...
Griffith University researchers are part of an international team of scientists that has announced the discovery of ancestors of Homo floresiensis - the enigmatic species of pygmy-like humans discovered more...
Scientists at Oxford University have discovered the oldest known population of plant root stem cells in a 320 million-year-old fossil.
Fossil remains of a previously unknown family of carnivorous Australian marsupials that lived 15 million years ago have been discovered at the Riversleigh World Heritage Fossil Site in north-western Queensland...
Vampires are real, and they've been around for millions of years. At least, the amoebae variety has. So suggests new research from UC Santa Barbara paleobiologist Susannah Porter.
Archaeology News in Images
- Frigate birds soar without landing for weeks at a time
- Infant bodies were ‘prized’ by 19th century anatomists, study suggests
- Seoul on guard for North Korea provocations along maritime border
- Roger Goodell made $32 million in 2015
- Matthew McConaughey returns to University of Texas at Austin to teach film course
- Ancient tomb may have been used as prehistoric telescope
- German tourist dies attempting selfie photo at Machu Picchu, Peru
- Analysis of anatomy and diet finds evolution follows least resistant path
- FAA suspends U.S. flights to, from Istanbul's Ataturk airport after attack kills at least 10
- Spain: Woman arrested for death threats to physicist Hawking
- Pterosaurs should have been too big to fly – so how did they manage it?
- The role played by solvents at extreme pressure
- Look Out Below! Today is Asteroid Day
- First British F-35 completes transatlantic crossing
- Chaotic orbit of Comet Halley explained
- Kevin Durant approves of Oklahoma City Thunder draft-night deal
- Automated amphibian teaches us to walk
- Photos: Ancient Stupa Holding Bone of Buddha Discovered
- Aahhhhh! 5 Scary Shark Myths Busted
- Escape tunnel found at Holocaust burial site in Ponar, Lithuania
- Fire discovery sheds new light on 'hobbit' demise
- Small plane makes emergency landing after bird crashes through windshield
- Alexander Skarsgard says dad Stellan raised him to love 'Tarzan' films
- Bryan Cranston despises James Franco in red band trailer for 'Why Him?'
- Jake Plummer: Dallas Cowboys' Jerry Jones is 'billionaire [expletive]'
- Germany: number of births hits highest level since 2000
- Facts About Capybaras
- Scorpion Architects Build Lairs with Porches and Mating Rooms
- Mummified ancient bird offers clues about flight during mid-cretaceous
- Anne White: A passion for plasma
Popular Paleontology news
No popular news yet
- New type of meteorite linked to ancient asteroid collision
- Color vision helps birds find good food and the right partner
- Researchers find Highland East Asian origin for prehistoric Himalayan populations
- Ancient DNA shows perfect storm felled Ice Age giants
- Ancient 'Deep Skull' from Borneo full of surprises