Popular Science articles about Paleontology & Archaeology
A species of bone-eating worm that was believed to have evolved in conjunction with whales has been dated back to prehistoric times when it fed on the carcasses of giant...
Although well known as one of the most iconic dinosaurs, Brontosaurus (the 'thunder lizard') has long been considered misclassified. Since 1903, the scientific community has believed that the genus Brontosaurus...
Nearly 30 ancient seashell species coloration patterns were revealed using ultraviolet (UV) light, according to a study published April 1, 2015 in the open-access journal PLOS ONE by Jonathan Hendricks...
At some point, probably 50,000 to 100,000 years ago, humans began talking to one another in a uniquely complex form. It is easy to imagine this epochal change as cavemen...
By comparing the genes of current-day North and South Americans with African and European populations, an Oxford University study has found the genetic fingerprints of the slave trade and colonization...
A newly discovered crocodilian ancestor may have filled one of North America's top predator roles before dinosaurs arrived on the continent. Carnufex carolinensis, or the "Carolina Butcher," was a 9-foot...
Archaeology News in Images
- Sugary, shipwrecked champagne reveals history of 19th-century winemaking
- Solar plane aims for Chinese coast
- Hundreds of baby spiders explode from mother's egg sac in disturbing viral video
- Kermit the Frog likeness found in Costa Rica
- Ancient Hangover Cure Discovered in Greek Texts
- Signs of climate change and adaptation in the ancient Maya lowlands
- Getting a better grasp of primate grip
- Kraft Dinner to remove synthetic colours from macaroni and cheese
- Mercury Space Capsule Returns to Kansas After Overseas Art Exhibition
- Sarah Hyland says boyfriend Dominic Sherwood is 'amazing'
- Patrick Matthew, The Overlooked Third Man Of Natural Selection
- Video: A somber anniversary: 100 years of chemical weapons
- Dinosaur eggs found by Chinese road construction crew
- Male And Female Stegosaurus May Have Had Different Plates
- Scientists Discover Slime Molds in Southern African Desert
- Captain of capsized migrant boat charged with manslaughter in Italy
- Gold bar found in Florida tied to $5M heist
- Video: Where did dogs come from?
- North Carolina prison escapee turns himself in 40 years later
- New Dr. Seuss book to hit shelves this summer
- San Francisco Giants try to move past slow start in opener with Los Angeles Dodgers
- Book details misconceptions about smallpox's role in Native depopulation
- Chimps know to look both ways before crossing street
- Oldest fossils controversy resolved
- New mass extinction event proposed
- Britain's beekeepers told to be alert for arrival of Asian hornets
- Forensic science: The soil sleuth
- Ancient crucible steel weapon found in Eastern Europe
- There was a decline of male diversity when humans took to agriculture
- Earthworms rain down on Norway, scientists puzzled
Popular Paleontology news
- New lobster-like predator found in 508 million-year-old fossil-rich site
- World's largest asteroid impacts found in central Australia
- Lemur teeth help take a bite out of Madagascar's mysteries
- New instrument dates old skeleton; 'Little Foot' 3.67 million years old
- Prehistoric super salamander was top predator, fossils suggest