Popular Science articles about Paleontology & Archaeology
A DNA sample thought to show prehistoric trade in cereals is most likely from modern wheat, according to new research led by the Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology.
University of Utah scientists deciphered maternal genetic material from two babies buried together at an Alaskan campsite 11,500 years ago. They found the infants had different mothers and were the...
Mass extinctions occurring over the past 260 million years were likely caused by comet and asteroid showers, scientists conclude in a new study published in Monthly Notices of the Royal...
Scientists describe a perinatal group of Saurolophus angustirostris, a giant hadrosaur dinosaur, all likely from the same nest, found at "Dragon's Tomb" in Mongolia, according to a study published October...
A team of archaeologists at the University of York have revealed new insights into cuisine choices and eating habits at Durrington Walls - a Late Neolithic monument and settlement site...
A nasty little 66-million-year-old family secret has been leaked by a recently unearthed tyrannosaur bone. The bone has peculiar teeth marks that strongly suggest it was gnawed by another tyrannosaur....
In the 250-million-year evolutionary history of turtles, scientists have seen nothing like the pig nose of a new species of extinct turtle discovered in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument by a...
Researchers know dinosaurs once ruled the earth, but they know very little about how these animals performed the basic task of balancing their energy intake and output--how their metabolisms worked....
Some of the most ancient birds were capable of performing aerodynamic feats in a manner similar to many living birds, according to a new study of the fossil wing of...
As a specialist in fossil feet, Dartmouth anthropologist Jeremy DeSilva has scrutinized Homo naledi, the latest addition to the human ancestral lineage, which was announced Sept. 10.
Archaeology News in Images
- Eggshell porosity can be used to infer the type of nest built by extinct archosaurs
- Stone Age elephant butchering site found in Greece
- Drowning has emerged as a mysterious cause of death amongst groups of young common starlings
- Odd creature was ancient ancestor of today’s giraffes
- Well-preserved homo erectus skull discovered in Eastern China
- Barbara Streisand, Willie Mays among Medal of Freedom recipients
- Three Russian journalists injured in Syrian fighting
- Seattle's newborn gorilla 'flourishing' despite mother's neglect
- Pope Francis arrives in Kenya on first trip to Africa
- Viral photo shows 50 meteorologists wearing the same dress
- Saab to modernize Sweden's RBS 97 Hawk missile system
- Deportation protesters glue themselves to detention center gate
- Inside One Man's Quest to Build a Photo Ark for Animals
- Broncos QB Peyton Manning out until at least mid-December
- Earliest modern humans in Southern China recast history of early human migration
- Johnny Depp on wife Amber Heard: 'We connect on a lot of levels'
- King Tut: The Teen Whose Death Rocked Egypt
- In Hawaii, living with lava
- Rail will temporarily fill Keystone XL vacuum
- U.N. chief planning visit to North Korea
- New Marvel trailer promises big action for 'Captain America: Civil War'
- 'Digital chimp' trove preserves brains of retired apes
- Good COP, bad COP: Will Paris climate summit prevail?
- Mariners GM refutes Robinson Cano report
- Carrie Underwood gushes about son Isaiah at AMAs
- Cameron urges British bombing of Islamic State during Paris visit
- Observatory: How Gourds Survived When Even Mastodons Went Extinct
- Buckeyes moving on to annual Michigan showdown
- Kaley Cuoco covers wedding date tattoo following split from Ryan Sweeting
- Christmas elves attacked during lighting ceremony in London