Popular Science articles about Paleontology & Archaeology
When did the enamel that covers our teeth evolve? And where in the body did this tissue first appear? In the latest issue of the journal Nature, researchers from Uppsala...
As early humans increasingly left forests and utilized tools, they took an evolutionary step away from apes. But what this last common ancestor with apes looked like has remained unclear....
A research team led by NYIT scientist Gaberiel Bever has determined that a 260-million year-old fossil species found in South Africa's Karoo Basin provides a long awaited glimpse into the...
In the popular mind, mass extinctions are associated with catastrophic events, like giant meteorite impacts and volcanic super-eruptions.
As a specialist in fossil feet, Dartmouth anthropologist Jeremy DeSilva has scrutinized Homo naledi, the latest addition to the human ancestral lineage, which was announced Sept. 10.
University of Otago palaeontology researchers are continuing to rewrite the history of New Zealand's ancient whales by describing two further genera and three species of fossil baleen whales.
Archaeology News in Images
- Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2015
- 48-million-year-old horse-like fetus found -- inside preserved uterus
- Torrential rain, flash floods kill at least four in South Carolina
- Chimpanzees shed light on origins of human walking
- Extinct tree-climbing human walked with a swagger
- To Preserve the Earth, Rethink Our Relationship with Nature (Op-Ed)
- Meet the oddly cute, appropriately named hog-nosed rat
- Oklahoma football: Sooners have no sure thing vs. Texas Longhorns in Red River rivalry
- 4 Hidden Causes of Dam Failures
- Colorado man gets probation in fossil importation case
- Thousands of amazing hi-res Apollo pics now online
- Tiny ancient fossil from Spain shows birds flew over the heads of dinosaurs
- Texas man convicted in $8 fatal robbery executed
- New York Giants 2-2 after dodging undisciplined Buffalo Bills
- Rock-wallaby interbreeding causes rethink on evolution
- Ohio State football: Buckeyes face Maryland in Big Ten home opener
- Bristol-Myers-Squibb fined for alleged Chinese bribes
- Extinct Hippolike Creature Was Prehistoric Vacuum Cleaner
- New studies explore impact of environmental change on tooth wear
- Watch 10 Weird Animals That Live in New Chile Marine Reserve
- Marooned On Mars Or Moon? Which Would XPRIZE’s Diamandis Choose? | Video
- Language About Climate Change Differs Between Proponents And Skeptics
- How To Make Better Cookies With Science
- Rutting bull moose fight on residential Anchorage street
- Report: Zlatan Ibrahimovic headed to MLS
- Cheerios recall covers 1.8 million boxes for having gluten
- Iraq: More than 60 people killed in wave of car bomb attacks
- Police arrest suspect in knife attack on Bangladeshi pastor
- 'America's Best Infographics 2015' Is Out Today
- Australia to acquire Thales Hawkei
Popular Paleontology news
- Asteroid impact, volcanism were one-two punch for dinosaurs
- New fossils intensify mystery of short-lived, toothy mammal found in ancient North Pacific
- Foot fossils of human relative illustrate evolutionary 'messiness' of bipedal walking
- Researchers discover clues on how giraffe neck evolved
- The hand and foot of Homo naledi
- Researchers identify 3 new fossil whale species of New Zealand
- Shouldering the burden of evolution
- Scientists report earlier date of shift in human ancestors' diet
- Archaeologists piece together how crew survived 1813 shipwreck in Alaska
- Earliest evidence of ancient North American salmon fishing verified