Popular Science articles about Paleontology & Archaeology
The crucial genetic mashup that spawned the yeast that brews the vast majority of beer occurred at least twice -- and both times without human help -- according to a...
The Tyrannosaurus rex and its fellow theropod dinosaurs that rampage across the screen in movies like Jurassic World were successful predators partly due to a unique, deeply serrated tooth structure...
Scientists have discovered Wendiceratops pinhornensis, a new species of horned dinosaur based on fossils collected from a bone bed in southern Alberta, Canada, according to a study published July 8,...
A newly-discovered, 48-million-year-old fossil, known as a "Jesus lizard" for its ability to walk on water, may provide insight into how climate change may affect tropical species, according to a...
In early August, biologist Peter Ward returned from the South Pacific with news that he encountered an old friend, one he hadn't seen in over three decades. The University of Washington professor had seen what he considers one of the...
Early humans were the dominant cause of the extinction of a variety of species of giant beasts, new research has revealed.
Widespread species are at just as high risk of being wiped out as rare ones after global mass extinction events, says new research by UK scientists.
New research has revealed abrupt warming, that closely resembles the rapid man-made warming occurring today, has repeatedly played a key role in mass extinction events of large animals, the megafauna,...
Bumblebees are rapidly declining in both North America and Europe, and a new study points to climate change as the major factor. The study, a comprehensive analysis of how climate...
An international research team led by the University of Colorado Boulder and the University of Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa has discovered a milk-and ochre-based paint dating to 49,000 years...
Archaeology News in Images
- We didn't replace Stone Age tomb with picnic table, mayor says
- University of Texas removes controversial Jefferson Davis statue
- Crash in Swaziland leaves 38 girls, women dead
- Aramis Ramirez belts Pittsburgh Pirates past Colorado Rockies
- Wisconsin native Paul Menard wins in nail-biting Road America finish
- Row over Caribbean dolphin parks plan
- Philistines introduced sycamore, cumin and opium poppy into Israel during the Iron Age
- 20 Startling Facts About Insects
- Study suggests older adults possess important forms of expertise
- Catastrophic Volcanoes Blamed for Earth's Biggest Extinction
- White supremacist 'proud' of killing 3 people, regrets not killing more
- Impact origin of archean cratons: Learning from Venus
- Submerged Greek Village Is 'Archaeologist's Paradise'
- When you mix classic movie lines with nerd humor, you get #scienceamoviequote
- How much do we really know about dinosaurs?
- Simi Valley's Rocky Peak trail leads to another world
- Ebola survivor who lost 21 relatives gives birth to baby boy
- Smallest 3-D Camera Offers Brain Surgery Innovation
- Japanese kids enter giant toilet to learn about poop
- Creepy Kangaroos: Why They Stand So Still
- Just how good (or bad) is the fossil record of dinosaurs?
- Saving oysters' future by digging up their paleo past
- New fossil skulls reveal insights about penguin brain evolution
- Researcher argues that there's more to the genus Homo than we may think
- Oldest Pharaonic mummy from the Museum of Florence finally has a face
- Ancient iguana fossil shines light on lizard evolution
- Lionel Messi named UEFA's best player
- Matter: The Slow Process of Countering the Emerald Ash Borer
- Spike Lee and Gena Rowlands to receive honorary Oscars
- Archaeologists unearth ancient Greek palace near Sparta