Popular Science articles about Mathematics & Economics
A computer program that recognises sketches pioneered by scientists from Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) could help consumers shop more efficiently.
Convinced that better use of data will improve research, innovation and literacy across other disciplines, six leading statisticians recently published "Ten Simple Rules for Effective Statistical Practice" in the journal...
120 per barrel) or low (US$40-55 per barrel) oil prices could have an important impact on future carbon dioxide emissions, according to a new study published in the journal Nature...
The origins of over two-thirds of the grains, legumes, fruits, vegetables, and other agricultural crops countries grow and consume can be traced to ancient breadbaskets in distant parts of the...
Researchers at the University of Texas at San Antonio are studying the lowest vocal register used by chorus singers to better understand the emotional properties of music.
Researchers at Washington State University are using ideas from animal training to help non-expert users teach robots how to do desired tasks.
Driverless cars pose a quandary when it comes to safety. These autonomous vehicles are programmed with a set of safety rules, and it is not hard to construct a scenario in which those rules come into conflict with each other....
Computer vision systems typically learn how to recognize an object by analyzing images of thousands of examples. But scientists at Disney Research have shown that computers also can learn to...
Between 2000 and 2001, California experienced the biggest electricity crisis in the U.S. since World War II. Exactly how it happened, however, is complex. New research now reveals insights into...
Massive public transportation infrastructure projects are notorious for exceeding both budgets and deadlines. Think Boston's Big Dig, finally completed eight years late and billions of dollars over budget.
Completing a game of "Super Mario Brothers" can be hard -- very, very hard.
College students who receive special accommodations because of a learning disability say they have less difficulty completing assignments and more contact with faculty outside of class than peers who don't...
Crowdsourcing has brought us Wikipedia and ways to understand how HIV proteins fold. It also provides an increasingly effective means for teams to write software, perform research or accomplish small...
Math News in Images
- Asian leaders raise economic concerns over Brexit vote
- Are these funerals gross or 'green'? The Marketplace consumer cheat sheet
- Andrew McCutchen leads Pittsbrugh Pirates past Los Angeles Dodgers
- Cleveland Indians push win streak to eight with Carlos Carrasco shutout
- Man says he fabricated stories about Holocaust, Auschwitz
- Steve Kerr on gun control: 'Our government is insane'
- Obama, Zuckerberg promote entrepreneurship at global summit at Stanford University
- Hawaii becomes first state to enact federal gun-owner database
- 2.2 million Brits sign petition for second EU referendum
- Ewan McGregor and Jennifer Connelly appear in 'American Pastoral' trailer
- Steven Tyler says Aerosmith is planning a farewell tour for 2017
- World doping agency strips Rio laboratory's accreditation before Olympics
- OAS chief blames Venezuela's problems on Maduro regime
- Scientists uncover route for finding out what makes individuals nice or nasty
- Car bomb outside Benghazi hospital kills 5
- Blockchain Enhances Privacy, Security and Conveyance of Data
- U.S. Rep. Tammy Duckworth settles workplace lawsuit
- EU ministers push UK for quick exit
- Liam Hemsworth tells Conan about his trip on Woody Harrelson's bus
- What's a teraflop? Xbox's E3 gaming buzzwords, decoded
- Can potatoes really grow on Mars?
- Eli Apple's mom uses "MommyCam" at New York Giants OTAs
- U.K. 'Brexit' vote makes tidal waves in global markets; Dow suffers 8th-worst one-day loss ever
- New study highlights hidden values of open ocean
- China to regulate search results following man's death
- Kylie Jenner and Tyga reunite for premiere of Kanye West's new music video
- Diana Taurasi reaches milestone in Mercury victory
- Washington Nationals RHP Stephen Strasburg expected to start Sunday
- Jon Rahm on top at Congressional in pro debut
- China making progress in launch vehicle technology
Popular Math news
No popular news yet
- In science essay, WPI professor says FBI approach to investigations puts security at risk
- New insights into California electricity crisis may help prevent future crises
- Climate consequences of oil price uncertainty could be significant
- Ten simple rules to use statistics effectively
- New technique improves accuracy of computer vision technologies