Popular Science articles about Mathematics & Economics
State renewables portfolio standards, known as RPS policies, have contributed to more than half of all renewable electricity growth in the United States since 2000. Most state RPS requirements will...
Analysts at the Energy Department's National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) have used detailed light detection and ranging (LiDAR) data for 128 cities nationwide, along with improved data analysis methods and...
In previous research, it was suggested that adaptation of an animal to different factors looks like spending of one resource and that the animal dies when this resource is exhausted....
Researchers at MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) have developed a new system that allows Web users to share self-selected aspects of their online activity with their friends...
Musical styles and genres differ around the world, but the emotional power of music is universally felt. To understand this evocative force, researchers in many fields, including information science, neural...
Scientists develop new way of attaching electronic screens to paper-based packaging Screens can display simple messages to customers Development could revolutionize packaging industry worth billions of dollars
When large-scale economic struggles hit a region, a country, or even a continent, the explanations tend to be big in nature as well.
The number of science and engineering graduate students at U.S. academic institutions rose by 3 percent between 2013 and 2014, owing largely to a 13.1 percent increase in foreign graduate...
For people struggling with obesity, logging calorie counts and other nutritional information at every meal is a proven way to lose weight. The technique does require consistency and accuracy, however,...
European honeybees are being poisoned with up to 57 different pesticides, according to new research published in the Journal of Chromatography A. A new method for detecting a whole range...
As strategies for energy security, investment opportunities and energy policies prompt ever-growing production and consumption of biofuels like bioethanol and biodiesel, land and water that could otherwise be used for...
Virtual reality offers promising new approaches to assessing and treating people with weight-related disorders, and early applications are revealing valuable information about body image. The advantages of virtual reality (VR)...
Want to encourage innovation? A new study co-authored by an MIT professor finds that little-known state laws called "constituency statutes" have significant effects on the quantity and quality of innovative...
Math News in Images
- 'Machine learning' may contribute to new advances in plastic surgery
- NFL Mock Draft: San Diego Chargers pull stunner, Miami Dolphins return to No. 8
- Researchers develop secure audio captchas
- Nick Carter shares adorable photo of infant son Odin
- MoneyWatch: Whole Foods idea aims for millennials; Is Apple tweaking autocorrect?
- Former nuclear power plant employee admits to selling secrets to China
- First-time director Seth Grahame-Smith quits 'The Flash' movie
- Light-powered 3-D printer creates terahertz lens
- Why dieting for just one day -- or just one meal -- changes everything
- Well: Raising a Child With Grit Can Mean Letting Her Quit
- Bedford company sending drones to survey earthquake damage in Ecuador
- Iraqi Parliament approves partial Cabinet reshuffle after massive protest
- Matt Szczur's slam helps Chicago Cubs win fourth straight game
- Indiana Pacers ride 32-5 run to force Game 7
- Obama to attend final White House Correspondents Dinner
- Washington Redskins plan for future with WR Josh Doctson
- At least one person burned in Pennsylvania natural gas explosion
- John Elway gets his QB, trades up for Memphis' Paxton Lynch
- Netflix renews Ashton Kutcher's 'The Ranch' for a second season
- Netherlands to hand out iodine pills in case of nuclear accident
- Cruz camp hits back on Boehner's 'Lucifer' remark
- Washington Capitals' Tom Wilson fined $2,403.67 for kneeing
- Yahoo CEO could get $55M in severance pay in potential sale
- Building on shells: Study starts unraveling mysteries of Calusa kingdom
- Protesters force Trump motorcade to pull over in California
- 20 arrested in violent protests at California Trump rally
- Investigative report offers statistics and opinions on Sci-Hub
- Nuns respond to Katy Perry court decision over sale of convent
- France shows off humanoid underwater exploration robot
- David Stephan's 'Dear Jury' letter could haunt him at sentencing, law experts say