Popular Science articles about Health & Medicine
The Multidrug Resistant Organism Repository and Surveillance Network (MRSN) at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) characterized a transferrable gene for colistin resistance in the United States that may herald the emergence of truly pan-drug resistant bacteria.
The malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum hijacks an immune system process to invade red blood cells, according to a study led by researchers at Penn State College of Medicine. Understanding how...
In a study appearing in the May 24/31 issue of JAMA, Jiang He, M.D., Ph.D., of the Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, and colleagues...
A new study suggests that triclosan, an antimicrobial and antifungal agent found in many consumer products ranging from hand soaps to toys and even toothpaste, can rapidly disrupt bacterial communities...
A serious and sometimes fatal bacterial infection, known as methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), may soon be beatable thanks to the efforts of University of South Florida scientists who have isolated...
A review article published online by JAMA Neurology details what is currently known about Zika virus (ZIKV), its neurological complications and its impact on global human health.
Women with a high risk of developing breast cancer based on family history and genetic risk can still reduce the chance they will develop the disease in their lifetimes by following a healthy lifestyle, new research led by the Johns...
In a study published online by JAMA Ophthalmology, Rubens Belfort Jr., M.D., Ph.D., of the Federal University of Sao Paulo and Vision Institute, Sao Paulo, Brazil, and colleagues assessed and...
A new study from Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) investigators provides additional evidence that amyloid-beta protein - which is deposited in the form of beta-amyloid plaques in the brains of patients...
Researchers at Haukeland University Hospital in Bergen, Norway have combined a laboratory ultrasound technique called "sonoporation" with the commercially-available chemotherapy compound Gemcitabine to increase the porosity of pancreatic cells with...
24 May 2016: One in four patients develop heart failure within four years of a first heart attack, according to a study in nearly 25 000 patients presented today at...
A large proportion of cancer cases and deaths among U.S. individuals who are white might be prevented if people quit smoking, avoided heavy drinking, maintained a BMI between 18.5 and...
A tool to support public health decisions on Zika virus predicts most planned interventions to be cost-effective
A study published in PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases presents a cost-effectiveness tool that can help guide decisions regarding resource allocation to fund interventions targeted at curtailing the ongoing Zika virus...
Whether water is hot in a tub or cold in a pool, it can bring immediate relief from stress or summer heat. But hot tubs and swimming pools are not...
WHAT: NIH-supported researchers are reporting additional details about a widely-publicized study that linked a systolic blood pressure target under 120 mm Hg (millimeters of mercury) with reduced cardiovascular disease and...
The Lancet Psychiatry: Magic mushroom compound psilocybin could provide new avenue for antidepressant research
Psilocybin - a hallucinogenic compound derived from magic mushrooms - may offer a possible new avenue for antidepressant research, according to a new study published in The Lancet Psychiatry today.
Health News in Images
- Stanley Cup: Coaching changes boosted San Jose Sharks, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Carlos Correa's pinch HR in 13th leads Houston Astros past Los Angeles Angels
- Milwaukee Bucks working on Jason Kidd extension; hiring Justin Zanik
- Judge unseals Trump University playbook, acknowledges Donald Trump's attacks
- Teenagers and young adults still fare worse than children for many common cancers, according to Europe-wide study
- Up to 46 people, many children, injured in lightning strikes in France, Germany
- Trinity Broadcasting Network's Jan Crouch suffers 'life-threatening stroke'
- Gut bacteria may contribute to poor health in patients with kidney disease
- New meta-analysis shows ketamine effective against persistent post-surgical pain and could provide major cost-savings globally
- Portuguese study did not find an increased stroke risk for football fans
- Connections between gut microbiota and the brain
- Additional hormone measurement reveals pregnant women at high risk of preeclampsia
- Chris Bosh, Miami Heat clashed on treating his condition
- New Orleans Pelicans rookie Bryce Dejean-Jones dies from gunshot wound
- Kirsten Storms says 'General Hospital' hiatus is due to 'skin issues'
- Skin cancer: Team synthesizes new drugs with surprising powers
- 'Maze Runner: The Death Cure' release date postponed to 2018
- New incentives needed to develop antibiotics to fight superbugs
- Gaps in pregnancy testing before surgery in women of reproductive age
- Music for the eyes: Music helps before surgery
- Study Linking Tumors in Rats to Cellphones Raises a Host of Questions
- Los Angeles Dodgers demote Julio Urias back to minors
- Imaging study shows promising results for patients with schizophrenia
- New York Mets' Noah Syndergaard ejected for throwing behind Chase Utley
- Cleveland Indians' Michael Brantley unsure about return from IR
- Telling irregularities: New procedure uses heart rate to estimate the life expectancy of infarct patients
- Kansas City Royals C Salvador Perez out 7-10 days with quad injury
- In wake of Flint crisis, new proposal seeks to 'focus on the fix' for lead poisoning
- Consider moving Rio Olympics, health experts urge WHO
- Dr. Heimlich Does The Heimlich
Popular Health news
No popular news yet
- Human amyloid-beta acts as natural antibiotic in the brains of animal models
- Vitamin A may help improve pancreatic cancer chemotherapy
- Dialing up chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer with ultrasound
- First discovery in United States of colistin resistance in a human E. coli infection
- PET imaging with special tracer can detect and diagnose early Alzheimer's disease