Popular Science articles about Health & Medicine
Scientists at the Stanford University School of Medicine have revealed that formerly overlooked sites deep inside the nose may be reservoirs for Staphylococcus aureus, a major bacterial cause of disease.
Blood clots play an unexpected role in protecting the body from the deadly effects of bacteria by absorbing bacterial toxins, researchers at the University of California, Davis, have found. The...
Researchers at Singapore's Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology (IBN) and California's IBM Research -- Almaden (IBM) have discovered a new, potentially life-saving application for polyethylene terephthalate (PET), which is widely...
One way to predict survival of many types of cancer is by counting the number of tumor-attacking immune cells that have migrated into the tumor in an effort to eradicate...
The body is structured to ensure that any invading organisms have a tough time reaching the brain, an organ obviously critical to survival. Known as the blood-brain barrier, cells that...
For the first time, researchers have found that the blood vessels in face transplant recipients reorganize themselves, leading to an understanding of the biologic changes that happen after full face...
A new male contraceptive could be on the horizon after scientists identified a novel way to block the transport of sperm during ejaculation.
A new study presented today at the IOF Regionals 4th Asia-Pacific Osteoporosis Meeting in Hong Kong supports widespread evidence that individuals who have suffered a fracture are at significantly increased risk of subsequent hip fractures. In fact, previous studies have...
A drug now used to treat a type of lymphoma has shown surprising benefit in preclinical studies of inflammatory breast cancer, according to a researcher at Thomas Jefferson University's Kimmel...
Researchers have identified a gene that drives the development of tumours in over one per cent of all cancer patients. This is the first time that the gene CUX1 has...
Medical researchers at the University of Alberta have discovered that combination drug therapy didn't work well in clinical trials for cancer patients because one drug was making the other drug...
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is diagnosed when individuals exhibit characteristic behaviors that include repetitive actions, decreased social interactions, and impaired communication. Curiously, many individuals with ASD also suffer from gastrointestinal...
A new study published in the journal Demography shows that improvements in education levels around the world have been key drivers of economic growth in developing countries that has previously...
Scientists and surgeons at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre have discovered a promising new approach to treating colorectal cancer by disarming the gene that drives self-renewal in stem cells that are...
A new paper published in Biological Psychiatry suggests that cognitive behavioral therapy for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) not only reduces symptoms but also affects the underlying biology of this disorder.
Health News in Images
- Blood pressure treatment guide for seniors shift in U.S.
- Research backs risk-reduction surgery for ovarian cancer
- US warning on antibacterial soaps
- 3-D Tissue Printing: Cells from the eye inkjet printed for the first time
- Ignorance About Cats' Sex Lives Fuels Unplanned Pregnancies
- Multidrug Resistance Gene Released By Chinese Wastewater Treatment Plants
- Well: Raw Milk a Hazard for Children and Pregnant Women
- Pecan Shell Extracts May Provide Antimicrobial Option for Preventing Listeria in Organic Meats
- 44% of adults worry e-cigarettes will encourage kids to start smoking tobacco
- Man's severed hand grafted to ankle after accident – video report
- Bee pesticides may 'harm developing brains of unborn babies'
- MERS Virus Found in Camels
- Death and devices top Google's searches of 2013
- ADHD Meds Can Cause Long-Lasting Erections
- New optimized coatings for implants reduce risk of infection
- Reducing Post-Op Pain In Kids After High-Risk Surgery
- Diet quality links old, young
- UCLA Study Challenges Long-Held Hypothesis that Iron Promotes Atherosclerosis
- Hormone-disrupting chemicals found in water at fracking sites
- Packaging insulin into a pill-friendly form for diabetes treatment
- Importance of food as key provider of vitamins and nutrients
- China reports first human case of H10N8 avian flu
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away
- Self-worth boosts ability to overcome poverty
- Smoking changes our genes
- Drug residues in Swedish sewage water
- Researchers discover mechanism controlling development of myelodysplastic syndromes
- Changes in proteins may predict ALS progression
- Study finds known lung cancer oncogenes also drive colorectal cancer
- TV ads nutritionally unhealthy for kids, study finds
Popular Health news
No popular news yet
- Novel agent set for unique clinical test in inflammatory breast cancer
- Study breaks blood-brain barriers to understanding Alzheimer's
- Wrist fracture significantly raises risk of hip fracture
- Staph can lurk deep within nose, Stanford study finds
- Study links nonconcussion head impacts in contact sports to brain changes and lower test scores
- Quantitative approaches provide new perspective on development of antibiotic resistance
- Does obesity reshape our sense of taste?
- Probiotic therapy alleviates autism-like behaviors in mice
- Large study links nut consumption to reduced death rate
- To improve foster care, add a psychiatric nurse to treatment team