Popular Science articles about Astronomy & Space
Just over a year since launch, NASA's Van Allen Probes mission continues to unravel longstanding mysteries of Earth's high-energy radiation belts that encircle our planet and pose hazards to orbiting satellites and astronauts.
Until now, scientists were pretty sure they knew how the surface of a neutron star -- a super dense star that forms when a large star explodes and its core...
Two months ago astronomers created a new 3D map of stars at the centre of our Galaxy (the Milky Way), showing more clearly than ever the bulge at its core....
Astrophysicists using a telescope embedded in Antarctic ice have succeeded in a quest to detect and record the mysterious phenomena known as cosmic neutrinos -- nearly massless particles that stream...
For nearly as long as astronomers have been able to observe asteroids, a question has gone unanswered: Why do the surfaces of most asteroids appear redder than meteorites -- the...
Instruments on the Curiosity Mars rover not only measure the chemistry of rocks, elemental abundances of soils and wind speeds, but also take an incredible number of images from both...
With the help of NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory and the Australia Telescope Compact Array, an international team of astronomers has identified the glowing wreck of a star that exploded a mere 2,500 years ago -- the blink of an eye...
A combination of pop songs, talkback radio and cutting-edge science has enabled Australian astronomers to identify a way to prevent catastrophic, multi-billion dollar space junk collisions, a new study has...
Scientists should take the conservative approach when searching for habitable zones where life-sustaining planets might exist, according to James Kasting, Evan Pugh Professor of Geosciences at Penn State, including when...
Astronomers using the combined power of the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) telescope and NASA's Hubble Space Telescope have discovered a far-flung trio of primitive galaxies nestled inside an enormous...
A Florida State University scientist has uncovered what may be the first recognized example of ancient Martian crust.
Scientists from the University of New Hampshire and colleagues have published comprehensive findings on space-based radiation as measured by a UNH-led detector aboard NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO). The data...
Space News in Images
- NASA eyes another developing depression in northern Indian Ocean
- Astronomers discover planet that shouldn't be there
- NASA Holds Google+ Hangout on Cassini's Findings at Saturn
- Image: Pioneer 10's groundbreaking approach to Jupiter
- Giant Plasma Spirals Found on the Sun
- Sun’s rotation driven by enormous plasma flows
- Laser Instrument on NASA Mars Rover Tops 100,000 Zaps
- How to See Venus and Moon in Daytime Sky Thursday
- Mystery of Moon's Origin Could Be Solved by Venus Mission
- NASA's Ailing Planet-Hunting Kepler Spacecraft Moves Closer to New Mission
- Glimpsing the infrastructure of a gamma-ray burst jet
- SpaceX plans third attempt to launch satellite into orbit
- Air Force's Mysterious X-37B Space Plane Nears One Year In Orbit
- How Voyager 1 Recorded Sound of Interstellar Space (Video)
- SolarCity to back up solar with Tesla batteries
- Suiting Up for the AXE Apollo Space Academy (Photo)
- Space Station Astronauts Fire-Up Awesome 'Cubesat Cannon'
- More than 200 Higher Ed Tech Gurus to Gather at USciences on Dec. 16
- Sun's Super-Size Heat-Cells Surprise Scientists | Video
- ISS crew over the moon with new gourmet menu
- Space History Photo: Impact Studies
- Dr. Robert J Ferl, University of Florida Space Biology Researcher, is Available to Discuss Growing Plants on Moon, Mars and in Space
- Major US Winter Storm Spotted from Space
- A naked eye nova erupts in Centaurus
- Congressional hearing on search for extraterrestrial life – live updates
- Images: Amazing Mima Mounds
- Dawn spacecraft fills out its Ceres dance card
- NASA funding shuffle alarms planetary scientists
- Plasma loss mechanisms from Saturn's magnetosphere
- Secretive Blue Origin Company Test Fires New Rocket Engine | Video