Popular Science articles about Astronomy & Space
Researchers using the IceCube Neutrino Observatory have sorted through the billions of subatomic particles that zip through its frozen cubic-kilometer-sized detector each year to gather powerful new evidence in support...
The latest data from NASA's New Horizons spacecraft reveal diverse features on Pluto's surface and an atmosphere dominated by nitrogen gas. However, Pluto's small mass allows hundreds of tons of...
In the beginning there were four "fundamental" elements besides Hydrogen- not Earth, Air, Fire, or Water, but rather Helium 3, Helium 4, Deuterium and Lithium-7, four "light" isotopes produced by...
Two new reports advance efforts to identify components of dark matter and energy, which together comprise about 95% of the universe yet leave much to scientists' imaginations. Both experiments illustrate...
Queen's University researcher Martin Duncan has co-authored a study that solves the mystery of how gas giants such as Jupiter and Saturn formed in the early solar system.
An international team of astronomers studying 200,000 galaxies has measured the energy generated within a large portion of space more precisely than ever before, discovering that it's only half what...
Astronomers have uncovered a unique process for how the universe's largest elliptical galaxies continue making stars long after their peak years of star birth. NASA's Hubble Space Telescope's exquisite high...
Astronomers using the Subaru Telescope's Hyper Suprime-Cam prime-focus camera recently observed the nearby large spiral galaxy M81, together with its two brightest neighbors, M82 and NGC3077. The results of their...
Space News in Images
- NASA Soil Moisture Radar Ends Operations, Mission Science Continues
- Magnetic wormhole connecting two regions of space created for the first time
- 'Littlest' quark-gluon plasma revealed by physicists using Large Hadron Collider
- Using stellar 'twins' to reach the outer limits of the galaxy
- France confirms airline debris from missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370
- Obama closes out Alaska trip, uses image to elevate climate change
- Watch iriss launch live
- Earth Observations Show How Nitrogen May Be Detected on Exoplanets, Aiding Search for Life
- How realistic is Hollywood's "The Martian"?
- At Saturn, One of These Rings is not like the Others
- LEGO to Launch: Astronaut from Denmark Taking Danish Toys to Space Station
- NASA's Laser-Communication Tech for Spacecraft Zaps Forward
- DCNS floats new FREMM frigate for French Navy
- Manhunt on for three suspects accused of fatally shooting officer
- 'Star Wars' joins toy unboxing trend with live global broadcast of releases
- Jason Momoa to star in Lin Oeding's action thriller 'Braven'
- Sienna Miller's 'Black Mass' role has been cut
- Comet Hitchhiker Would Take Tour of Small Bodies
- Purged North Korean architect died of shock after being summoned, source says
- Finer Wine Through Space-Flight - ISS Experiment Yields Underground Spin-Off | NASA Video
- Dawn sends sharper scenes from Ceres
- Cassini's final breathtaking close views of dione
- NASA Wants to Use Hoverboard Tech to Control Tiny Satellites
- Awesome Launch Photos: US Navy's MUOS-4 Satellite Streaks Into Space
- 'Star Wars' Celebration Takes Over Toys 'R' Us in NYC's Times Square
- NASA's TES Satellite Instrument Gives New Insight into Water Cycle
- What happened to early Mars' atmosphere? New study eliminates one theory
- Raytheon expanding in Colorado
- NASA shows upper-level westerly winds affecting Tropical Storm Fred
- 'Sleepy Hollow,' 'Monsters University' to air on ABC Family's '13 Nights of Halloween'