Popular Science articles about Astronomy & Space
A team of highly determined high school students discovered a never-before-seen pulsar by painstakingly analyzing data from the National Science Foundation's (NSF) Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope (GBT). Further...
A team of astronomers using ground-based telescopes in Hawaiʻi, California and Arizona recently discovered a planetary system orbiting a nearby star that is only 54 light-years away. All three planets...
An international team of scientists have put forward a blueprint for a purely space-based system to solve the growing problem of space debris. The proposal, published in Acta Astronautica, combines...
A new analysis of the chemical make-up of meteorites has helped scientists work out when the Earth formed its layers.
As part of the PlanetS National Centre of Competence in Research (NCCR), astronomers from the Universities of Geneva (UNIGE) and Bern, Switzerland, have come to measure the temperature of the...
Debris from the US Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP) F13 satellite, which recently exploded in orbit, could pose a threat to other spacecraft and missions according to new research from...
A research team led by geoscientists from Brown University and the Marine Biological Laboratory has provided some crucial ground-truth for a method of measuring plant photosynthesis on a global scale...
Using the MUSE instrument on ESO's Very Large Telescope (VLT), astronomers have produced the first complete three-dimensional view of the famous Pillars of Creation in the Eagle Nebula, Messier 16....
As two galaxies enter the final stages of merging, scientists have theorized that the galaxies' supermassive black holes will form a "binary," or two black holes in such close orbit...
After searching 100,000 galaxies for signs of highly advanced extraterrestrial life, a team of scientists using observations from NASA's WISE orbiting observatory has found no evidence of advanced civilizations in...
Certain types of supernovae, or exploding stars, are more diverse than previously thought, a University of Arizona-led team of astronomers has discovered. The results, reported in two papers published in...
Space News in Images
- SpaceX's Dragon Crew Capsule to Get 1st Big Test This Week
- Russia's failed cargo spacecraft to fall from orbit Friday
- Saturn Moon's Activity Could Be 'Curtain Eruptions'
- X-Flare! New Sunspot Makes Presence Known | Video
- Watch Live Today: String Theory LEGOs for Black Holes [Video]
- A hot start to the origin of life?
- See bits of Halley's comet in Eta Aquarid meteor shower
- DHS and NASA Technology Helps Save Four in Nepal Earthquake Disaster
- UAE to explore Mars' atmosphere with probe named 'Hope'
- Nick Kyrgios stuns Roger Federer at Madrid Open
- Amorphous space blob takes title for most distant galaxy
- How Dry Is Texas? SMAP, TxSON Network Aim to Find Out
- Traffic Around Mars Gets Busy
- LRO Finds Impact Crater Of Largest Lunar Explosion Ever Recorded
- Watch Carly Rae Jepsen perform on 'Dancing with the Stars'
- ‘Black Hole’ traces 100 years of a transformative idea
- Tim Peake passes final Soyuz exam
- Researchers map chemical bonds that made DNA possible
- Virgin Galactic's Next SpaceShipTwo Spaceliner Is Taking Shape (Photo)
- How did Earth get its water?
- Courtney Cox happy to direct ex-husband David Arquette in 'Just Before I Go'
- Research on Fusion Engine That CouldBe a Mars Hot Rod Is AIAA Best Paper
- Bringing NASA satellite data down to Earth
- Taylor Swift kicks off her world tour in Tokyo
- Pluto-bound craft hunts for hazardous moons
- Did Mars Have Flowing Water 500,000 Years Ago?
- Roadmap for Manned Missions to Mars Reaching 'Consensus,' NASA Chief Says
- Europa's Elusive Water Plume Paints Grim Picture For Life
- Asteroid-Mining Company to Deploy 1st Satellite This Summer
- Grass-Roots Push in the Plains to Block the Keystone Pipeline’s Path