Popular Science articles about Astronomy & Space
Recently, a team of astronomers reported discovering a pulsating star that appears to shine with the energy of 10 million suns. The find, which was announced in Nature, is the...
Crewed missions to Mars remain an essential goal for NASA, but scientists are only now beginning to understand and characterize the radiation hazards that could make such ventures risky, concludes...
Venus is hiding something beneath its brilliant shroud of clouds: a first order mystery about the planet that researchers may be a little closer to solving because of a new...
Using instruments aboard the Cassini spacecraft to measure the wobbles of Mimas, the closest of Saturn's regular moons, a Cornell University astronomer publishing in Science, Oct. 17, has inferred that...
Astronomers using the National Science Foundation's Green Bank Telescope (GBT) in West Virginia, along with data from other large radio telescopes, have discovered that our nearest galactic neighbors, the dwarf...
Astronomy & Astrophysics is publishing the spectacular discovery of meteorite fragments 20 years after the corresponding bolide was seen in the skies of the Czech Republic. This discovery was made...
NASA's Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) spacecraft has provided scientists their first look at a storm of energetic solar particles at Mars, produced unprecedented ultraviolet images of the tenuous...
On April 23, NASA's Swift satellite detected the strongest, hottest, and longest-lasting sequence of stellar flares ever seen from a nearby red dwarf star. The initial blast from this record-setting...
Astronomy & Astrophysics is publishing a special feature of 31 articles describing the data gathered by Planck over 15 months of observations and released by ESA and the Planck Collaboration...
An international team of physicists has measured a subtle characteristic in the polarization of the cosmic microwave background radiation that will allow them to map the large-scale structure of the...
A group of researchers led by Melina Bersten of Kavli IPMU recently presented a model that provides the first characterization of the progenitor for a hydrogen-deficient supernova. Their model predicts...
"If you have a coin and flip it just once, what does that tell you about the odds of heads versus tails?" asks Heather Knutson, assistant professor of planetary science...
The XMASS collaboration, led by Yoichiro Suzuki at the Kavli IPMU, has reported its latest results on the search for warm dark matter. Their results rule out the possibility that...
Space News in Images
- Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Set for Halloween Ride
- Rocket failure casts spotlight on risks of space flight
- 5 Spooky Space Views for Halloween
- Goodbye to rainy days for US, Japan's first rain radar in space
- Tracking a gigantic sunspot across the Sun
- Suspected Pennsylvania cop killer Eric Frein nabbed
- FEATURE: WATCH: Thermite vs Dry Ice
- Watch Live: Atlas V Rocket Launch - 1:21p ET
- Orbital cargo ship readies for Monday launch
- Utah's Stunning Night Sky (Gallery)
- Is It Possible To Build A Spacesuit Or Spaceship To Travel Through The Sun With Future Tech? - Just For Fun.
- 'Duck Dynasty' star says medical scare was meningitis, encephalitis
- Andy Weir and Steve Jurveston Mind-Meld on Mars Colonies
- Earth's Water Existed 135 Million Years Earlier than Thought
- Reversing the Retreat: Why U.S. Must Restore NASA's Planetary Budget (Op-Ed)
- Top stories: Scary science, tiny tummies, and asteroid avalanches
- Royal Caribbean’s “smart ship” prepares for maiden voyage
- Week's Best Space Pictures: Antares Falls, Mars Mystifies, and the Sun Rises
- China pulls plug on solar observatory
- Naperville houses amaze with Halloween light show
- Crater Hunters Find New Clues to Ancient Impact Storm
- 3 Questions: Richard Binzel on NASA’s Asteroid Redirect Mission
- Elle Fanning to star in 'Three Generations'
- You can't get to Mars, but your name can
- Rosetta selfie, bands of Mars and ghostly spokes of Saturn in pictures
- Eric Bana to star in 'Special Correspondents,' written and directed by Ricky Gervais
- Lily James stars in first 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' photo
- Evidence Builds for Dark Matter Explosions at the Milky Way’s Core
- Q&A: 'Interstellar' filmmaker Nolan on his robots
- Month in Space: Get a Look at Cosmic Tricks and Treats