Popular Science articles about Astronomy & Space
A fluctuating tilt in a planet's orbit does not preclude the possibility of life, according to new research by astronomers at the University of Washington, Utah's Weber State University and...
In 2005, NASA's Cassini spacecraft sent pictures back to Earth depicting an icy Saturnian moon spewing water vapor and ice from fractures, known as "tiger stripes," in its frozen surface....
An international team of planetary scientists determined that the Moon formed nearly 100 million years after the start of the solar system, according to a paper to be published April...
The amount of water present in the moon may have been overestimated by scientists studying the mineral apatite, says a team of researchers led by Jeremy Boyce of the UCLA...
When people in North America look up at the sky in the early morning hours of April 15, they can expect the moon to look a little different.
The Baryon Oscillation Spectroscopic Survey (BOSS), the largest component of the third Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS-III), pioneered the use of quasars to map density variations in intergalactic gas at...
The centimeter-sized fragments and smaller particles that make up the regolith -- the layer of loose, unconsolidated rock and dust -- of small asteroids is formed by temperature cycling that...
A powerful, new three-dimensional model provides fresh insight into the turbulent death throes of supernovas, whose final explosions outshine entire galaxies and populate the universe with elements that make life...
Space News in Images
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
- Hubble image: A cross-section of the universe
- To do: Exhibits to explore in D.C. and New York
- Vitamin B3 might have been made in space, delivered to Earth by meteorites
- Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
- Meteorite hits moon in largest lunar impact ever recorded - video
- First discovery of double star that brightens during eclipse
- After 13 years, progress in pitch-drop experiment (w/ video)
- NASA Mars Orbiter Spies Rover Near Martian Butte
- Vesta and Ceres: How to Spot the Solar System's Biggest Asteroids
- Did Iapetus's Mountains Fall From Space?
- First radar vision for Copernicus
- NASA astronauts will breathe easier with new oxygen recovery systems
- White dwarf acts as cosmic magnifying glass
- Hubble Galactic Family Photo Captures Distant Kissing Cousins | Video
- Obama launches measures to support solar energy in US
- University of Virginia Astronomer Trinh Thuan Awarded French Legion of Honor
- NASA Rover Opportunity's Selfie Shows Clean Machine
- NASA Cassini Images May Reveal Birth of a Saturn Moon
- A sharp eye on Southern binary stars
- Cosmologists weigh cosmic filaments and voids
- Fiery Voyage Over ALMA | Space Wallpaper
- Galaxy S5 fingerprint sensor thwarted by glue
- New study outlines 'water world' theory of life's origins
- FEATURE: Send your loved ones’ remains to space and see them come back as a shooting star
- NASA Hosts Media Teleconference to Announce Latest Kepler Discovery
- Geologic Wonder: See the Grand Canyon from Space
- Unexpected Teleconnections in Noctilucent Clouds
- Marshmallow-Toasting Bonobo Charms Internet After BBC Debut
- Milky Way, Auroras & Thunderstorms Star in Amazing Time-Lapse Video
Popular Astronomy news
No popular news yet
- New research finds 'geologic clock' that helps determine moon's age
- Robotic arm probes chemistry of 3-D objects by mass spectrometry
- Misleading mineral may have resulted in overestimate of water in moon
- Gravity measurements confirm subsurface ocean on Enceladus
- Appearance of night-shining clouds has increased