Popular Science articles about Astronomy & Space
This new image from ESO's Very Large Telescope (VLT) in Chile shows a spectacular red cloud of glowing hydrogen gas behind a collection of blue foreground stars. Within...
The underlying physical process that creates striking "breaking wave" cloud patterns in our atmosphere also frequently opens the gates to high-energy solar wind plasma that perturbs Earth's magnetic field, or...
For the last decade, scientists have deployed increasingly capable underwater robots to map and monitor pockets of the ocean to track the health of fisheries, and survey marine habitats and...
Debris from the US Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP) F13 satellite, which recently exploded in orbit, could pose a threat to other spacecraft and missions according to new research from...
A team of highly determined high school students discovered a never-before-seen pulsar by painstakingly analyzing data from the National Science Foundation's (NSF) Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope (GBT). Further...
A team of astronomers using ground-based telescopes in Hawaiʻi, California and Arizona recently discovered a planetary system orbiting a nearby star that is only 54 light-years away. All three planets...
An international team of astronomers, including researchers from the University of Cambridge, has identified a young planetary system which may aid in understanding how our own solar system formed and developed billions of years ago.
A research team led by geoscientists from Brown University and the Marine Biological Laboratory has provided some crucial ground-truth for a method of measuring plant photosynthesis on a global scale...
Using the MUSE instrument on ESO's Very Large Telescope (VLT), astronomers have produced the first complete three-dimensional view of the famous Pillars of Creation in the Eagle Nebula, Messier 16....
Space News in Images
- Dawn Probe Circles Down for Ceres Close-Ups
- Researchers prove magnetism can control heat, sound
- Merging galaxies break radio silence
- A century on, experts crack mystery of holes in Swiss cheese
- NASA Begins Testing Mars Lander for Next Mission to Red Planet
- 'Manhattanhenge' sunsets coming to New York
- Free App Puts NASA Pluto Mission in Palm of Your Hand
- How space travel messes with mouse skin
- JPL's RoboSimian to compete in DARPA Robotics Challenge Finals
- Baltimore Orioles split doubleheader with Chicago White Sox
- Nebula's Crimson Heart Revealed in Breathtaking Images, Video
- White House Memo: Obama, in Miami, Comments on Extreme Weather, Terrorism, Cuban-Americans and Basketball
- Mysterious oil globs close 7 miles of Los Angeles-area beach
- NASA unveils gadgets that will probe Europa's habitability
- Space station module relocation makes way for commercial crew spacecraft
- How comets were assembled
- Big Bang aftermath: Ancient stars from birth of the universe
- Hawaii governor: Telescope can continue, but changes needed
- Hubble sees two knots of light in an extragalactic jet merge into one
- Where's Pluto? How to Find the Dwarf Planet in the Sky
- 5 Mars Mission Radiation Shield Ideas Win NASA Challenge
- The Supreme Council of Parachute Experts
- Cassini Prepares for Last Up-close Look at Hyperion
- Dwyane Wade gives LeBron props for NBA Finals run
- Comedy Central announces Trevor Noah's debut as 'Daily Show' host
- Wild Ride To Safety - SpaceX Dragon Pad Abort Test | On-Board Video
- LightSail Solar Sail Test Flight Stalled by Software Glitch
- Ariane 5’s second launch of 2015
- NASA telescopes set limits on space-time quantum 'foam'
- Similarities between aurorae on Mars and Earth