Popular Science articles about Astronomy & Space
Astronomers have discovered the first aurora ever seen in an object beyond our Solar System. The aurora -- similar to the famous "Northern Lights" on Earth -- is 10,000 times...
Today an international team of astronomers from NASA's Kepler mission have announced the discovery of a near-Earth-sized planet in the habitable zone of a Sun-like star.
The universe overflows with repeating patterns. From the smallest cells to the largest galaxies, scientists are often rewarded by observing similar patterns in vastly different places. One such pattern is...
Gamma-ray bursts (GRBs - http://www.eso.org/public/science/grb/) are one of the outcomes associated with the biggest explosions to have taken place since the Big Bang. They are detected by orbiting...
Using the Subaru Telescope, researchers at the Special Astrophysical Observatory in Russia and Kyoto University in Japan have found evidence that enigmatic objects in nearby galaxies - called ultra-luminous X-ray...
Astronomers using NASA's Hubble Space Telescope have discovered an immense cloud of hydrogen dubbed "The Behemoth" bleeding from a planet orbiting a nearby star. The enormous, comet-like feature is about...
Physicists at the University of York have revealed a new understanding of nucleosynthesis in stars, providing insight into the role massive stars play in the evolution of the Milky Way...
The coalescence of two black holes -- a very violent and exotic event -- is one of the most sought-after observations of modern astronomy. But, as these mergers emit no...
The ChemCam laser instrument on NASA's Curiosity rover has turned its beam onto some unusually light-colored rocks on Mars, and the results are surprisingly similar to Earth's granitic continental crust...
Five billion years ago, a great disturbance rocked a region near the monster black hole at the center of galaxy 3C 279. On June 14, the pulse of high-energy light...
The European Space Agency's Rosetta spacecraft first began orbiting comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko in August 2014. Almost immediately, scientists began to wonder about several surprisingly deep, almost perfectly circular pits on the...
Space News in Images
- Obama to unveil clean energy plan
- Neutron stars strike back at black holes in jet contest
- 5 billion light years across—the largest feature in the universe
- The ghostly remnants of galaxy interactions uncovered in a nearby galaxy group
- Ukranian Physicists Uprooted by War, Behemoth Telescopes that Cost a Billion Dollars or More, the Heaviest Elements Science can Make, and a Satellite View of the Nepalese Quake
- Malaysian Airlines Mystery: What Newfound Wing Debris Could Reveal
- Qualified praise for Obama's clean power plan
- Whale gets close-up of Buenos Aires, delighting onlookers
- Kate Mara's dad not a fan of her pixie haircut
- Tracking A Mysterious Group of Asteroid Outcasts
- Europe's latest weather satellite produces first image of Earth
- Apollo Moon Rocket Engines Recovered by Amazon CEO Preserved for Display
- Astronauts Test Virtual-Reality Headset for Space On Ocean Floor
- NASA Robot Will Spin Huge Rocket Parts Of Carbon Fiber | Video
- One Direction's Louis Tomlinson talks fatherhood on 'GMA'
- Orbital ATK producing ammunition for U.S., allies
- Scientists Propose an Explanation for Puzzling Electron Heat Loss in Fusion Plasmas
- Curiosity’s 3 Year Martian Road-Trip Tells Tantalizing Tales Of Water | Video
- Buzz Aldrin's $33.31 moon mission expense report
- Fly Over Martian 'Ancient Atlantis' From Orbiting Stereo Camera | Video
- Will SETI's unprecedented new program finally find E.T.?
- Fly over Atlantis Chaos
- Small prototype Earth return capsule flight tested
- NASA Asteroid-Sampling Mission Being Readied for 2016 Launch
- How Will NASA's New Horizons Mission to Pluto Be Remembered?
- Eni expresses condolences to Nigerian president
- They're Full of Stars! Students Find Densest Galaxies in the Universe
- Trent Richardson 50-50 to make Oakland Raiders' roster
- NASA image reveals Northern California wildfires
- Tracking downunder
Popular Astronomy news
No popular news yet
- Astronomers discover powerful aurora beyond solar system
- Special issue: Philae results shed light on the nature of comets
- First detection of lithium from an exploding star
- Researchers find that Earth's magnetic shield is much older than previously thought
- Telescopes team up to find distant Uranus-sized planet through microlensing