Popular Science articles about Astronomy & Space
For the last decade, astronomers have observed curious "hotspots" on Saturn's poles. In 2008, NASA's Cassini spacecraft beamed back close-up images of these hotspots, revealing them to be immense cyclones,...
Researchers from Uppsala University, together with colleagues at University College Dublin, have studied the dynamics of active swarms using computer simulations and experiments on unicellular algae. The team not only...
Using the Subaru Telescope, researchers at the Special Astrophysical Observatory in Russia and Kyoto University in Japan have found evidence that enigmatic objects in nearby galaxies - called ultra-luminous X-ray...
Astronomers using NASA's Hubble Space Telescope have discovered an immense cloud of hydrogen dubbed "The Behemoth" bleeding from a planet orbiting a nearby star. The enormous, comet-like feature is about...
Scientists at UCL have observed how a widespread polar wind is driving gas from the atmosphere of Saturn's moon Titan. The team analysed data gathered over seven years by the...
Astronomers have used the Hubble Space Telescope's infrared vision to uncover the mysterious early formative years of quasars, the brightest objects in the universe. Hubble's sharp images unveil chaotic collisions...
The moon is engulfed in a permanent but lopsided dust cloud that increases in density when annual events like the Geminids spew shooting stars, according to a new study led...
To sort out the biological intricacies of Earth-like planets, astronomers have developed computer models that examine how ultraviolet radiation from other planets' nearby suns may affect those worlds, according to...
Are black holes the ruthless killers we've made them out to be?
ALMA's Long Baseline Campaign has produced a spectacularly detailed image of a distant galaxy being gravitationally lensed. The image shows a magnified view of the galaxy's star-forming regions, the likes...
A close-up of Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko by NASA's ultraviolet instrument surprised scientists by revealing that electrons close to the comet's surface -- not photons from the Sun as had been believed...
Space News in Images
- Russian Cargo Spacecraft Will Launch to Space Station Early Friday
- Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis reportedly wed in secret ceremony
- Small cosmic ‘fish’ points to big haul for SKA Pathfinder
- Do micro-organisms explain features on comets?
- Universe’s hidden supermassive black holes revealed
- Astronomers see pebbles poised to make planets
- Dillon wins Firecracker 250 at Daytona
- Dwarf planet Ceres offers big surprises for scientists
- New Horizons spacecraft experiences anomaly
- Pluto and Charon Starting to Come into Focus (Photo)
- Pluto spacecraft temporarily loses contact with Earth
- Report: Aldridge steps back to consider plans
- Kyocera to bring solar farm transformation to idle golf course
- JetBlue first major airline to offer direct New York to Cuba flights
- Kelly Clarkson, Ed Sheeran, Flo Rida to perform during Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular
- Lightning lights up Cinderella's castle, delays fireworks
- A 'movie' of ultrafast rotating molecules at a hundred billion per second
- NASA Slammed a Probe Into a Comet 10 Years Ago Today
- How to See The Scorpion in July's Night Sky
- 'Black Panther' movie still needs a director as Ava DuVernay passes on project
- NASA image: Stellar sparklers that last
- Solar Impulse takes off on delayed Pacific flight
- Van hauling fireworks catches fire on I-15 near California-Nevada border
- A-Rod, New York Yankees negotiating compromise over HR bonus
- Astronomers analyze "The Kiss"
- Northwest Sardinia
- Are Nicolle Wallace and Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'?
- Astronomers predict fireworks from a close encounter of the stellar kind
- After Tragic Setback, Spaceport America Goes to Plan B
- Getting the measure of Mars