Popular Science articles about Astronomy & Space
An unusual comet skimmed past the sun on Feb 18-21, 2015, as captured by the European Space Agency (ESA) and NASA's Solar and Heliospheric Observatory, or SOHO.
On Oct. 8, 2013, an explosion on the sun's surface sent a supersonic blast wave of solar wind out into space. This shockwave tore past Mercury and Venus, blitzing by...
From its orbit 930,000 miles above Earth, the Planck space telescope spent more than four years detecting the oldest light in the universe, called the cosmic microwave background. This fossil...
The team responsible for the Oscar-nominated visual effects at the centre of Christopher Nolan's epic, Interstellar, have turned science fiction into science fact by providing new insights into the powerful...
This week an international team of astronomers reports the first multiple-star system to be observed during the earliest stage of formation. This finding supports model predictions about how two- and...
The two hemispheres of Mars are more different from any other planet in our solar system. Non-volcanic, flat lowlands characterise the northern hemisphere, while highlands punctuated by countless volcanoes extend...
Research by New York University Biology Professor Michael Rampino concludes that Earth's infrequent but predictable path around and through our Galaxy's disc may have a direct and significant effect on...
Every massive galaxy has a black hole at its center, and the heftier the galaxy, the bigger its black hole. But why are the two related? After all, the black...
The majority of stars in our galaxy come in pairs. In particular, the most massive stars usually have a companion. These fraternal twins tend to be somewhat equal partners when...
With an estimated 1.6 billion tonnes of water ice at its poles and an abundance of rare-earth elements hidden below its surface, the Moon is rich ground for mining.
NWA 7034, a meteorite found a few years ago in the Moroccan desert, is like no other rock ever found on Earth. It's been shown to be a 4.4 billion-year-old...
Two phenomena known to inhibit the potential habitability of planets -- tidal forces and vigorous stellar activity -- might instead help chances for life on certain planets orbiting low-mass stars,...
In 1976 several elongated comet-like objects were discovered on pictures taken with the UK Schmidt Telescope in Australia. Because of their appearance, they became known as cometary globules even though...
Space News in Images
- SpaceX rocket blasts off with world’s first all-electric satellites
- Samsung Galaxy S6 coming soon: What to expect
- Polar ice loss 'painful to see' for photographer Camille Seaman
- U.S. weather satellite explodes into 43 pieces
- Living in the Asteroid Belt & on Dwarf Planet Ceres (Infographic)
- Latest selfie from NASA Mars rover shows wide context
- Leonardo DiCaprio is renting out his posh NYC apartment for $25,000 a month
- James Harden suspended one game for kicking LeBron James
- Simulating space for JWST
- Nasdaq closes above 5,000 for first time since 2000
- Curt Michel, Scientist-Astronaut Who Left NASA After Losing the Moon, Dies at 80
- BBC America offers a sneak peek at Season 3 of 'Orphan Black'
- Netflix announces premiere dates for 'Orange is the New Black,' 'Wet Hot American Summer'
- North Korea to lift Ebola-related travel ban, says tour operator
- 4 NASA Satellites to Seek Energy Eruptions in Earth's Magnetic Field
- Best Night Sky Events of March 2015 (Sky Maps)
- 5 Sky Events This Week: Moon Confers With a Jovian Giant and a Celestial Maiden
- Climate Change Hastened Syria's Civil War
- Escape of dangerous bacterium leads to halt of risky studies at Tulane
- Phil Robertson declares STDs the 'revenge of the hippies'
- After Spacewalk, NASA Astronaut Reports Water in Helmet
- Four Probes to 'Catch' Gigantic Energy Bursts In Space | Video
- Venus and Jupiter take center stage in March night sky
- Francis Halzen On Cosmogenic Neutrinos
- OSIRIS-REx mission successfully completes system integration review
- Vincent D'Onofrio stars as Kingpin in new 'Daredevil' photo
- Study of atmospheric 'froth' may help GPS communications
- Giant methane storms on Uranus
- Halley research station hosts research to understand human adaptation to space flight
- The huge "Y" in the atmosphere of Venus due to a wave distorted by the wind
Popular Astronomy news
- Astronomers breathe new life into venerable instrument
- 'Live fast, die young' galaxies lose the gas that keeps them alive
- In a first, astronomers catch a multiple star system in the process of forming
- A new view of the solar system: Astrophysical jets driven by the sun
- Interstellar technology throws light on spinning black holes