Popular Science articles about Astronomy & Space
REx spacecraft is scheduled to launch for terra incognita: the unknown surface of the near-Earth asteroid Bennu. Like expeditions of old, OSIRIS-REx's mission includes mapping the exotic terrain it explores.
An international team of scientists, including two professors and three graduate students from UCLA, has detected and confirmed the faintest early-universe galaxy ever. Using the W. M. Keck Observatory on...
New findings based on a year's worth of observations from NASA's Van Allen Probes have revealed that the ring current - an electrical current carried by energetic ions that encircles...
The Earth's albedo, or reflectance, is a fundamental atmospheric parameter having deep implications for temperature and climate change. For that reason, experiments have been performed to monitor it over the...
Carnegie's Allan Sandage, who died in 2012, was a tremendously influential figure in the field of astronomy. His final paper, published posthumously, focuses on unraveling a surprising historical mystery related...
Together with irregular galaxies, spiral galaxies make up approximately 60 percent of the galaxies in the local universe. However, despite their prevalence, each spiral galaxy is unique -- like snowflakes,...
The geologic shape of what were once shorelines through Mars' northern plains convinces scientists that two large meteorites - hitting the planet millions of years apart - triggered a pair...
Using recent advancements in Australian telescope technology, a Monash University-led research team has made an unexpected discovery that a large group of stars are dying prematurely, challenging our accepted view...
The ocean of Jupiter's moon Europa could have the necessary balance of chemical energy for life, even if the moon lacks volcanic hydrothermal activity, finds a new study.
Physicists and astronomers from the University of Texas at Arlington have used advanced astronomical software to accurately date lyric poet Sappho's "Midnight Poem," which describes the night sky over Greece...
Space News in Images
- NASA Hits Snag Inflating Space Station's BEAM Habitat
- Donald Trump attacks fellow Republican Susana Martinez
- S.C. Gov. Nikki Haley signs abortion ban
- President Obama at G7 summit: North Korea is 'big worry' for all
- 'Black Hole Blues': Book Chronicles Gravitational Wave Detector
- SpaceX prepares for Thursday launch and landing attempt
- Number of habitable planets could be limited by stifling atmospheres
- NASA scientists explain the art of creating digital hurricanes
- Scientists discover evidence of ice age at martian north pole
- Patrick Dempsey, estranged wife Jillian have reconciled
- Russian spy who posed as New York banker sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison
- 2016 French Open: Rafael Nadal reaches new milestone, joins elite club
- Finding aliens may be even easier than previously thought
- Image: Mars triptych
- Close encounters of a tidal kind could lead to cracks on icy moons
- NASA response to recent paper on NEOWISE asteroid size results
- Image: Mascot-2 lander model
- Mars Webcam goes pro
- World's Largest Telescope Now Has a Construction Contract
- Brightest laser blows up water in cinematic and scientific first
- How do astronauts overcome eating challenges in space?
- New stars discovered in the Rho Ophiuchi Dark Cloud
- NASA's yearlong spaceman still has sore feet, fatigue
- Satellite Swarm Delivers Worldwide Precipitation In Most Detail Yet | Video
- Current atmospheric models underestimate the dirtiness of Arctic air
- Sinosphere: China’s Craft Breweries Find They May Have a 5,000-Year-Old Relative
- Solar Impulse lands in Pennsylvania
- New York Mets RHP Matt Harvey to remain in rotation
- San Antonio Spurs' Kawhi Leonard selected unanimously to all-defensive team
- Decoding light for clues about dark matter
Popular Astronomy news
- Astronomers confirm faintest early-universe galaxy ever seen
- Scientists discover how supermassive black holes keep galaxies turned off
- Supermassive black holes in 'red geyser' galaxies cause galactic warming
- NASA scientist suggests possible link between primordial black holes and dark matter
- Footprints of baby planets in a gas disk