Popular Science articles about Astronomy & Space
An international team of astrophysicists led by a Johns Hopkins University scientist has for the first time witnessed a star being swallowed by a black hole and ejecting a flare of matter moving at nearly the speed of light.
When the Global Precipitation Measurement Mission of GPM core satellite analyzed Tropical Storm In-fa, data showed the storm had become better organized over the previous 24 hours. After GPM, NASA-NOAA's...
Despite being discovered 20 years ago, very little is known about brown dwarfs - notably why they fail to grow into stars.
An international team of astronomers, led researchers from the University of Cambridge and the Australian National University, have identified some of the oldest stars in our galaxy, which could contain...
When astronomers study protoplanetary disks of gas and dust that surround young stars, they sometimes spot a dark gap like the Cassini division in Saturn's rings. It has been suggested...
Jupiter's moon Europa is believed to possess a large salty ocean beneath its icy exterior, and that ocean, scientists say, has the potential to harbor life. Indeed, a mission recently...
Space News in Images
- AugerPrime looks for cosmic superaccelerators
- Thanksgiving Greetings From Space
- German Chancellor Merkel welcomes ESA astronaut to her home region
- 2015 will be hottest year on record — until 2016, WMO predicts
- Massive Rocks May Explain Moon's Mysterious Tilt
- Jeff Bezos on launching first fully reusable space rocket
- ExoMars prepares to leave Europe for launch site
- SDO sees a dark filament circle
- Turkey downs Russian fighter jet near Syrian border
- Hubble captures a galactic waltz
- Video: Testing gravity—inside LISA Pathfinder
- Gravitational Waves, If We Could See Them | Space Wallpaper
- Let there be light
- Identifying New Sources of Turbulence in Spherical Tokamaks
- Full Moon Rises Tonight in Pre-Thanksgiving Lunar Show
- Japan rocket launches its first commercial satellite
- North Korea says a literary child prodigy is born
- Philippine Air Force receiving South Korean FA-50 jets
- The hottest white dwarf in the Galaxy
- A blue, neptune-size exoplanet around a red dwarf star
- How the moon got its tilt—Earth got its gold
- Paramount releases trailer for 'The Big Short' starring Brad Pitt, Christian Bale
- Camila Cabello and Shawn Mendes deny they're dating
- Awesome Music Video Parody Sings 'Hey, Hey, NASA Is Good!'
- U.S. troops suspended over Doctors Without Borders hospital bombing
- Earth's Cousin Find 'Whispers The Possibility That We Are Not Alone' | Video
- Black Friday brawls most likely in Arkansas and Tennessee, analysis suggests
- Gwen Stefani declares her 'love' for Blake Shelton
- Earth Might Have Hairy Dark Matter
- 'Teen Mom 2' star Jenelle Evans' ex-husband arrested
Popular Astronomy news
- Scientists get first glimpse of black hole eating star, ejecting high-speed flare
- Aging star's weight loss secret revealed
- Iowa State astronomers say comet fragments best explanation of mysterious dimming star
- Tracking down the 'missing' carbon from the Martian atmosphere
- Mars to lose its largest moon, Phobos, but gain a ring
- VISTA discovers new component of Milky Way
- Spirals in dust around young stars may betray presence of massive planets
- NASA's Fermi satellite detects first gamma-ray pulsar in another galaxy
- 'One size fits all' when it comes to unravelling how stars form
- Probing the mysteries of Europa, Jupiter's cracked and crinkled moon