Popular Science articles about Astronomy & Space
Astronomers have used a worldwide network of radio telescopes to resolve a controversy over the distance to a famous star cluster -- a controversy that posed a potential challenge to scientists' basic understanding of how stars form and evolve. The...
The moon appears to be a tranquil place, but modeling done by University of New Hampshire and NASA scientists suggests that, over the eons, periodic storms of solar energetic particles...
An international team of sky scholars, including a key researcher from Johns Hopkins, has produced new maps of the material located between the stars in the Milky Way. The results...
New research by a team of UK and European-based astronomers is helping to solve the mystery of what caused a spectacular supernova in a galaxy 11 million light years away,...
The fluorine that is found in products such as toothpaste was likely formed billions of years ago in now dead stars of the same type as our sun. This has...
Researchers from MIPT and the Space Research Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences have reported registering three possible occasions of thetidal destruction of stars by supermassive black holes at...
Putting three radars on a plane to measure rainfall may seem like overkill. But for the Integrated Precipitation and Hydrology Experiment field campaign in North Carolina recently, more definitely was...
Last year, the Planck Telescope revealed the most detailed picture of the cosmic microwave background, the relic radiation from the Big Bang. But this map contains features that challenge the...
Having a companion in old age is good for people -- and, it turns out, might extend the chance for life on certain Earth-sized planets in the cosmos as well.
Space News in Images
- Mixing in star-forming clouds explains why sibling stars look alike
- VIDEO: Footage of powerful solar flares
- Balloon Rise Over Fort Sumner
- Indian start-up launches shoes that show you the way
- Ardbeg distillery anticipates zero gravity single malt's return to Earth
- Intense Exercise during Long Space Flights Helps Astronauts Protect Aerobic Capacity
- Month in Space: See the Supermoon and Other Sights
- Best Space Photos of the Week - Aug. 30, 2014
- Sam Kass, the Obamas’ Foodmaster General
- Labor Day Weekend Stargazing: See Moon, Mars and Saturn Meet Up
- What to Wear in Space: Spacesuit Chic with Final Frontier Design
- Star Explosion's Beauty Revealed by Space Telescope Photo
- Mysteries of space dust revealed
- NASA's TRMM Satellite sees powerful towering storms in Cristobal
- 'Science Friday' asks: What happens when science and Hollywood collide?
- Remembering Space Shuttle Discovery, 30 years later
- Why I Believe We’ll Find Aliens - Seth Shostak
- Part-Time Scientists compete for Google Lunar XPrize
- Memory Reformat Planned for Opportunity Mars Rover
- Joaquin Phoenix in final talks for Marvel's 'Doctor Strange'
- Reporter captures descent into Pyongyang on video
- As Space Shuttle Discovery Turns 30, Smithsonian Curator Shares Orbiter Secrets
- Last witness testifies at Va. Gov. McDonnell's trial
- Week's Best Space Pictures: A Martian "Footprint," a Fledgling Star, and an Erupting Island
- Podcast: Extraterrestrial clouds, walking fish, and the origins of altruism
- Researchers use NASA and other data to look into the heart of a solar storm
- Mystery Crater Baffles Scientists in Utah
- IBM's Watson Starts New Career Crunching Data for Science
- Secretive Space Plane Passes Moon and Rigel in Night Sky | Video
- Gael Garcia Bernal stars in trailer for Jon Stewart's 'Rosewater'
Popular Astronomy news
No popular news yet
- A hellacious two weeks on Jupiter's moon Io
- New Milky Way maps help solve stubborn interstellar material mystery
- Baby universe picture brought closer to theory
- Best evidence yet for coronal heating theory detected by NASA sounding rocket
- NASA's Hubble finds supernova star system linked to potential 'zombie star'