Popular Science articles about Astronomy & Space
A close look at the night sky reveals that stars don't like to be alone; instead, they congregate in clusters, in some cases containing as many as several million stars....
A set of eight hurricane-forecast satellites being developed at the University of Michigan is expected to give deep insights into how and where storms suddenly intensify--a little-understood process that's becoming...
Astronomers using the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) may have detected the dusty hallmarks of an entire family of Pluto-size objects swarming around an adolescent version of our own Sun.
Among the billions and billions of stars in the sky, where should astronomers look for infant Earths where life might develop? New research from Cornell University's Institute for Pale Blue...
Analysis of data from the MATROSHKA experiment, the first comprehensive measurements of long-term exposure of astronauts to cosmic radiation, has now been completed. This experiment, carried out on board and...
With the help of citizen scientists, a team of astronomers has found an important new example of a very rare type of galaxy that may yield valuable insight on how...
An international team of researchers analyzing decades of observations from many facilities, including NASA's Swift satellite, has discovered an unusual source of light in a galaxy some 90 million light-years...
The most accurate laboratory measurements yet made of magnetic fields trapped in grains within a primitive meteorite are providing important clues to how the early solar system evolved. The measurements...
High-energy jets powered by supermassive black holes can blast away a galaxy's star-forming fuel, resulting in so-called "red and dead" galaxies: those brimming with ancient red stars yet containing little...
New research published today in the journal Physical Review Letters describes how recreating isotopes that occur when a star explodes, can help physicists understand where life-supporting elements may be found...
Could there finally be tangible evidence for the existence of dark matter in the Universe? After sifting through reams of X-ray data, scientists in EPFL's Laboratory of Particle Physics and...
Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) is preparing to unveil a new, miniature portable solar observatory for use onboard a commercial, manned suborbital spacecraft. The SwRI Solar Instrument Pointing Platform (SSIPP) will...
The intermittent light emitted by pulsars, the most precise timekeepers in the universe, allows scientists to verify Einstein's theory of relativity, especially when these objects are paired up with another...
Planets orbiting close to low-mass stars -- easily the most common stars in the universe -- are prime targets in the search for extraterrestrial life.
Astronomers have measured the passing of a super-Earth in front of a bright, nearby Sun-like star using a ground-based telescope for the first time. The transit of the exoplanet 55...
Space News in Images
- Signs of Europa Plumes Remain Elusive in Search of Cassini Data
- Peek into the past
- Satellites guide sailor from treacherous waters
- NASA Satellite's 1st CO2 Maps of Earth Revealed
- Four life science experiments headed to ISS in the SpaceX-5 resupply launch
- Time Travel and Wormholes: Physicist Kip Thorne's Wildest Theories
- The Dust Devil and the Details: Spinning Up a Storm on Mars
- Daring Philae Comet Landing Named Top Breakthrough of 2014
- Philae comet landing 'all a blur'
- Photos: India's GSLV Mark-III Rocket and 1st Crew Capsule
- Sienna Miller says Keira Knightley will be 'amazing' mother
- After threats from North Korea, Christian group drops border Christmas tree
- 'Colbert Report' to have the Grim Reaper aka Grimmy as final guest
- Will NASA Pull Off a Piece of an Asteroid? Stay Tuned
- What Are Pristine Aerosols and Where Are They Found?
- Life after Serial: 5 podcasts to follow while waiting for season 2
- Flying over Becquerel
- Will rapprochement mean new research collaborations between Cuba and the U.S.?
- Astronomer confirms a new "Super-Earth" planet
- 3D printer makes tool in space
- Two astronauts will expand envelope with one-year spaceflight
- NASA's Orion spacecraft back in Florida after test flight
- The Little Dipper: Host of the North Star
- Rosetta may have spotted comet’s primordial ingredients
- Politics no problem, say US and Russian space travellers
- Saturn and the Moon Shine at Dawn Friday as Winter Solstice Looms
- Stunning Edge of Space Sunrise Snapped By 'World View' | Video
- Contamination of impacted meteorites can happen quickly
- Supertyphoon moved 177-ton boulder 150 feet
- New York's Gov. Cuomo signs law banning tattooing and piercing pets
Popular Astronomy news
- Nuclear fragments could help uncover the origins of life-supporting planets
- 'Perfect storm' quenching star formation around a supermassive black hole
- Origin of long-standing space mystery revealed
- Surprising theorists, stars within middle-aged clusters are of similar age
- Hurricane-forecast satellites will keep close eyes on the tropics