Popular Science articles about Astronomy & Space
What looked at first like a sort of upside-down planet has instead revealed a new method for studying binary star systems, discovered by a University of Washington student astronomer.
Ancient Earth might have had an extraterrestrial supply of vitamin B3 delivered by carbon-rich meteorites, according to a new analysis by NASA-funded researchers. The result supports a theory that the...
A fluctuating tilt in a planet's orbit does not preclude the possibility of life, according to new research by astronomers at the University of Washington, Utah's Weber State University and...
When people in North America look up at the sky in the early morning hours of April 15, they can expect the moon to look a little different.
The Baryon Oscillation Spectroscopic Survey (BOSS), the largest component of the third Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS-III), pioneered the use of quasars to map density variations in intergalactic gas at...
The centimeter-sized fragments and smaller particles that make up the regolith -- the layer of loose, unconsolidated rock and dust -- of small asteroids is formed by temperature cycling that...
Last month, scientists announced the first hard evidence for cosmic inflation, the process by which the infant universe swelled from microscopic to cosmic size in an instant. This almost unimaginably fast expansion was first theorized more than three decades ago,...
In 2005, NASA's Cassini spacecraft sent pictures back to Earth depicting an icy Saturnian moon spewing water vapor and ice from fractures, known as "tiger stripes," in its frozen surface....
An international team of planetary scientists determined that the Moon formed nearly 100 million years after the start of the solar system, according to a paper to be published April...
The amount of water present in the moon may have been overestimated by scientists studying the mineral apatite, says a team of researchers led by Jeremy Boyce of the UCLA...
Space News in Images
- Cosmic illusion revealed: Gravitational lens magnifies supernova
- Mystery of dazzling supernova solved
- SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
- Why Captain America’s Shield Is Basically a Star-Spangled Supercapacitor (Op-Ed)
- Hubble Space Telescope Instruments Star in New Smithsonian Exhibit
- US Astronauts Taking Spacewalk to Fix Space Station Today: Watch Live
- Powerful X-Flare Erupts On Sun's Western Limb | Video
- Team builds world's first CubeSat microgravity laboratory
- Moon Glows with Earthshine Over Italian Citadel (Photos)
- Asteroids as Seen From Mars; A Curiosity Rover First
- Bitcoins in Space: Private Deep-Space Venture Aims to Launch 'BitSats'
- Can Iconic 'Earthrise' Photo Help Protect Earth from Asteroid Impacts?
- Asteroid 'narrowly' misses Earth on day meteorite hits Russia - video
- Venus and the Moon Shine Together at Dawn This Week: Where to Look
- Harrison Ford Takes On Climate Change, Visits NASA | Video
- NASA tests Orion’s parachute performance over Arizona while work progresses in Florida
- A step up for NASA’s robonaut: Ready for climbing legs
- Equipped with new sensors, Morpheus preps to tackle landing on its own
- Pivoting exoplanets could harbour life
- Kazakh satellite to be launched into orbit
- Texas Tech Climate Scientist Named to 2014 TIME 100
- NASA tries space kits to engage kids in science and space
- Telescope tech using membrane optics moves to Phase 2
- Creation - Review
- Video: Sailfish Star in Slasher Film
- Linday Elkins-Tanton Named Director of Arizona State University's School of Earth and Space Exploration
- Meteoroid Caught Free-Falling On Video ?
- Physicists use magnetism simulation software to model US presidential elections
- Mysterious Mounds | Space Wallpaper
- Cross-Section of the Universe | Space Wallpaper
Popular Astronomy news
- Vitamin B3 might have been made in space, delivered to Earth by meteorites
- Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
- 'Upside-down planet' reveals new method for studying binary star systems
- Astronomical forensics uncover planetary disks in NASA's Hubble archive
- Mysteries of a nearby planetary system's dynamics now are solved
- New research finds 'geologic clock' that helps determine moon's age
- Misleading mineral may have resulted in overestimate of water in moon
- Gravity measurements confirm subsurface ocean on Enceladus
- Appearance of night-shining clouds has increased
- NASA's LRO mission and North America to experience total lunar eclipse