Popular Science articles about Astronomy & Space
NASA's Alice ultraviolet (UV) spectrograph aboard the European Space Agency's Rosetta comet orbiter has delivered its first scientific discoveries. Rosetta, in orbit around comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, is the first spacecraft to study a comet up close.
A team of scientists led by Carnegie's Jacqueline Faherty has discovered the first evidence of water ice clouds on an object outside of our own Solar System. Water ice clouds...
Keeping upright in a low-gravity environment is not easy, and NASA documents abound with examples of astronauts falling on the lunar surface. Now, a new study by an international team...
Astronomers have used a worldwide network of radio telescopes to resolve a controversy over the distance to a famous star cluster -- a controversy that posed a potential challenge to...
New research by a team of UK and European-based astronomers is helping to solve the mystery of what caused a spectacular supernova in a galaxy 11 million light years away,...
The fluorine that is found in products such as toothpaste was likely formed billions of years ago in now dead stars of the same type as our sun. This has...
Researchers from MIPT and the Space Research Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences have reported registering three possible occasions of thetidal destruction of stars by supermassive black holes at...
Putting three radars on a plane to measure rainfall may seem like overkill. But for the Integrated Precipitation and Hydrology Experiment field campaign in North Carolina recently, more definitely was...
A group of astrophysicists, including researchers from MIPT, has detected the formation of radioactive cobalt during a supernova explosion, lending credence to a corresponding theory of supernova explosions. Details are...
The moon appears to be a tranquil place, but modeling done by University of New Hampshire and NASA scientists suggests that, over the eons, periodic storms of solar energetic particles...
An international team of sky scholars, including a key researcher from Johns Hopkins, has produced new maps of the material located between the stars in the Milky Way. The results...
Space News in Images
- Smallest known galaxy with a supermassive black hole found
- Bezos' Blue Origin Said to Make Rocket Deal with ULA
- SpaceX's next cargo launch set for Sept 20
- Spooky! Super-Secret CLIO Satellite Goes Into Orbit
- Expert Voices: Reactions to NASA's Private Space Taxi Picks
- 'Vomit comet' study could lead to better space suit design
- NASA's Maven spacecraft reaches Mars this weekend
- Violent origins of disc galaxies probed by ALMA
- Tweak to dark matter may explain Milky Way mystery
- VIDEO: Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2014
- Video: MAVEN set to slide into orbit around Mars
- How to Take Clear Shots of a Light-Polluted Milky Way (Photos, Video)
- Jonathan Dwyer of the Cardinals arrested on assault charges
- Astronauts May Moonwalk Faster Than Expected
- Experts: Mystery fireball was Russian satellite
- NASA sees Typhoon Kalmaegi as a whirlpool of clouds in the South China Sea
- Cauldron of Star Birth | Space Wallpaper
- Rainbow aurora
- High winds drive California wildfires
- UVA student disappears on her way home
- NASA HS3 instrument views two dimensions of clouds
- New 'Fly-Eye' Telescope Dramatically Widens Field Of View | Operation Animation
- Can Boeing and SpaceX help Nasa take space travel back from Russia?
- Boeing Crew Transport Vehicle Progresses To Manufacturing Phase | Video
- Dawn Operating Normally After Safe Mode Triggered
- NASA inspector blasts asteroid protection program
- Elon Musk gets fresh challenge with space contract
- Wind energy transforms Australian township
- Satellites show Edouard's transition into an Atlantic Hurricane
- Pulse of a Dead Star Powers Intense Gamma Rays