NASA takes parting look at Hermine
Tropical Cyclone Hermine was just a swirl of clouds with no rainfall off the coast of southeastern Massachusetts on Thursday, Sept. 8. Just two days earlier, the GPM satellite saw that Hermine was still generating some rainfall. Post Tropical Cyclone Hermine was still rotating in the Atlantic Ocean east of New Jersey when the Global Precipitation Measurement mission or GPM core observatory satellite flew above on Sept. 6 at 2:05 p.m. EDT (1806 UTC). Hermine's power was greatly dissipated from the hurricane that hit Florida on Sept. 2, 2016. Hermine still had maximum sustained winds of about 58 mph (50 knots). Hermine was also still producing some light to moderate showers.
Precipitation data derived from GPM's Microwave Imager (GMI) and Dual-Frequency Precipitation Radar (DPR) instruments showed that rain was falling at a rate of over 1.1 inches (27 mm) per hour in an area of showers located between the Atlantic coast and Hermine's center of circulation. GPM's GMI also showed that moderate rainfall was still occurring in a few bands of rainfall south and southeast of the storm.
GPM's radar (DPR Ku Band) made a 3-D slice through Hermine that showed the structure of precipitation within the storm. This 3-D scan showed that the tops of the storms on Hermine's eastern side were reaching to altitudes of about 5.3 miles (8.5 km). GPM is a joint mission between NASA and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency JAXA.
The National Hurricane Center (NHC) discontinued coastal tropical storm warnings and terminated National Hurricane Center advisories on weakening Post-Tropical Cyclone Hermine on Sept. 6 at 2 p.m. EDT (1800 UTC).
Visible imagery from NOAA's GOES-East satellite on Sept. 8 at 9:30 a.m. EDT (1330 UTC) revealed the remnants of Hermine as a swirl of clouds located off of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. A line of clouds over northern New England from an oncoming cold front were located to the northwest of the remnants. The image was created at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland.
Once the cold front moves through it will absorb the remnant clouds of Hermine, and the storm will go down in hurricane history.
Source: NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
Articles on the same topic
- NASA sees post-Tropical Storm Hermine south of Long Island, last advisory issuedThu, 8 Sep 2016, 12:06:33 EDT
- NASA sees post-Tropical Cyclone Hermine linger over northeastern USThu, 8 Sep 2016, 12:06:22 EDT
- NASA animation shows landfall and progression of Hurricane HermineFri, 2 Sep 2016, 12:06:38 EDT
- NASA sees Hermine's twin towersFri, 2 Sep 2016, 11:07:34 EDT
- Hermine becomes a hurricane in the Gulf of MexicoThu, 1 Sep 2016, 17:23:09 EDT
- NASA's GPM sees increasingly organized Tropical Storm HermineThu, 1 Sep 2016, 12:35:23 EDT
- Scientists use undersea drones to help predict hurricanesfrom PhysorgThu, 8 Sep 2016, 3:31:28 EDT
- Scientists use undersea drones to help predict hurricanesfrom AP ScienceThu, 8 Sep 2016, 1:11:14 EDT
- NASA sees post-Tropical Storm Hermine south of Long Island, last advisory issuedfrom PhysorgWed, 7 Sep 2016, 12:31:20 EDT
- NASA sees post-Tropical Cyclone Hermine linger over northeastern USfrom PhysorgTue, 6 Sep 2016, 16:21:17 EDT
- Post-tropical cyclone Hermine moving toward northeast U.S.from UPIMon, 5 Sep 2016, 22:11:21 EDT
- Hermine's storm surge threat shifts to New England coastfrom UPIMon, 5 Sep 2016, 10:31:13 EDT
- Forecasters: Hermine could reach hurricane strength again in Northeastfrom UPISun, 4 Sep 2016, 10:21:16 EDT
- Hermine kills two, ruins beach weekends in northward marchfrom PhysorgSun, 4 Sep 2016, 6:31:30 EDT
- Tropical Storm Hermine maintaining strength as it continues up East Coastfrom UPISat, 3 Sep 2016, 9:31:20 EDT
- Hurricane Season Is Heating Up. So Is the Planet. Coincidence?from NY Times ScienceFri, 2 Sep 2016, 20:21:13 EDT
- Hermine: Storm over Carolinas as Florida cleans up; 1 dead; 250K without powerfrom UPIFri, 2 Sep 2016, 20:01:18 EDT
- NASA animation shows landfall and progression of Hurricane Herminefrom PhysorgFri, 2 Sep 2016, 12:01:19 EDT
- NASA sees Hermine's twin towersfrom PhysorgFri, 2 Sep 2016, 11:31:15 EDT
- Hurricane Hermine makes landfall on Florida's Gulf Coastfrom UPIFri, 2 Sep 2016, 6:01:18 EDT
- UW-Madison Scientists Help Fly Global Hawk Drone Into Hermine, Other Hurricanesfrom Newswise - ScinewsFri, 2 Sep 2016, 4:41:21 EDT
- Hurricane Hermine begins assault on Florida's Gulf Coastfrom UPIFri, 2 Sep 2016, 4:11:17 EDT
- Florida facing 'life-threatening' conditions as Hurricane Hermine approachesfrom UPIThu, 1 Sep 2016, 18:31:27 EDT
- Hurricane Hermine Threatens Florida in New Photo from Spacefrom Space.comThu, 1 Sep 2016, 18:11:16 EDT
- Hermine becomes a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexicofrom PhysorgThu, 1 Sep 2016, 17:31:18 EDT
- Hurricane Hermine Threatens Florida in New Photo from Spacefrom Live ScienceThu, 1 Sep 2016, 17:21:19 EDT
- NASA's GPM sees increasingly organized Tropical Storm Herminefrom PhysorgThu, 1 Sep 2016, 12:31:33 EDT
- Florida woman spots alligator swimming down flooded streetfrom UPIThu, 1 Sep 2016, 9:31:28 EDT
- Hurricane warnings for Florida panhandle as Tropical Storm Hermine takes aimfrom UPIThu, 1 Sep 2016, 7:01:48 EDT
- Tropical Storm Hermine picking up steam in Gulf; Florida declares emergenciesfrom UPIWed, 31 Aug 2016, 15:01:19 EDT
- Florida men facing felony charge over viral video of bare-handed alligator capturefrom UPIWed, 31 Aug 2016, 9:31:25 EDT
- Tropical Depression 9 could become hurricane before reaching Floridafrom UPIWed, 31 Aug 2016, 8:01:20 EDT