Using ocean observations and a large suite of climate models, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory scientists have found that long-term salinity changes have a stronger influence on regional sea level changes...
Researchers from North Carolina State University have developed a technique that allows ultrasound to penetrate bone or metal, using customized structures that offset the distortion usually caused by these so-called...
Each year in the Northern Hemisphere, levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide drop in the summer as plants "inhale," then climb again as they exhale after the growing season.
In the 1970s, ecologists published results from one of the first whole-forest ecosystem studies ever conducted in Hubbard Brook, New Hampshire. In the paper, scientists reported that salamanders represent one...
Enzymes carry out fundamental biological processes such as photosynthesis, nitrogen fixation and respiration, with the help of clusters of metal atoms as "active" sites. But scientists lack basic information about...
Mouse cells and tissues created through nuclear transfer can be rejected by the body because of a previously unknown immune response to the cell's mitochondria, according to a study in...
U.S. Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) scientists, in collaboration with researchers from the University of Manchester, U.K.; Imperial College, London; University of California San Diego; and the National Institute of Material...
Physicists at the University of Groningen led by Professor of Functional Nanomaterials Beatriz Noheda have discovered a new manganese compound that is produced by tension in the crystal structure of...
As the installation of photovoltaic solar cells continues to accelerate, scientists are looking for inexpensive materials beyond the traditional silicon that can efficiently convert sunlight into electricity.
Today, scientists at the Natural Capital Project share new science and open source software that can calculate risk to coastal and marine ecosystems. These novel tools, described in the journal...
Latest News in Images
Latest science news from other websites
- Meryl Streep discusses her witch's rap for 'Into the Woods'
- Chris Bosh shot lifts Miami past Charlotte
- Memphis Grizzlies pound paint in rout of Clippers
- California man stabbed after confronting girlfriend's catcaller
- Retro Report: Debate Persists Over Diagnosing Mental Health Disorders, Long After ‘Sybil’
- The Secret of Dragonflies' Flight
- 'Mockingjay, Part 1' earns a whopping $123 million at the North American box office
- All answers downvoted to oblivion in Reddit AMA with FCC commissioner Mignon Clyburn
- Al-Qaida's Yemen affiliate denounces Islamic State
- Science Times: A Lifesaving Transplant for Coral Reefs
- Peru probes 500 sea lion deaths
- U.S. Army puts women through Ranger training, selects 31 female advisers
- President Obama: Hillary Clinton would make a terrific president
- Big Data Could Be A Big Problem For Workplace Discrimination Law
- The Physics of Fizziness
- Tropical Inspiration for an Icy Problem
- World Bank: Climate change means extreme weather is the new normal
- The countryside village of Japan: A fading treasure
- Capt. Wayne Brown relieved of duty as commander of warship in San Diego
- Italy's first female astronaut heads to ISS in Russian craft
- Bodies of 500 sea lions found on Peruvian beach
- Global warming could undermine poverty fight: World Bank
- US northeast braces for flooding after record snow
- Here’s How to Fix America’s Crumbling Bridges
- Russian rocket blasts off for International Space Station