The term "single-nucleotide polymorphism" (SNP) refers to a single base change in DNA sequence between two individuals. SNPs are the most common type of genetic variation in plant and animal genomes and are, thus, an important resource to biologists. The...
A team of scientists led by the U.S. Geological Survey found that polar bears, increasingly forced on shore due to sea ice loss, may be eating terrestrial foods including berries,...
New research from the University of Toronto has scientists re-thinking how a lethal fungus grows and kills immune cells. The study hints at a new approach to therapy for Candida...
By combining observations of the distant Universe made with ESA's Herschel and Planck space observatories, cosmologists have discovered what could be the precursors of the vast clusters of galaxies that...
A common growth-promoting hormone used worldwide in the cattle industry has been found to affect the sexual behaviors of fish at a very low concentration in waterways -- with potentially...
One of the most important shifts of the 21st century is the ability of consumers to participate in markets they love such as music and fashion. A new study in...
At some point, probably 50,000 to 100,000 years ago, humans began talking to one another in a uniquely complex form. It is easy to imagine this epochal change as cavemen...
Researchers at the Mechanobiology Institute (MBI) at the National University of Singapore have discovered that the inherent 'handedness' of molecular structures directs the behaviour of individual cells and confers them...
The first study to investigate the relationship between eating fruit and vegetables containing pesticide residues and the quality of men's semen has shown a link with lower sperm counts and...
Latest News in Images
Latest science news from other websites
- 'Firefly' mechanism makes cancer studies more efficient, less expensive
- Lethal prostate cancer can spread from other metastatic sites, study affirms
- Deforestation is messing with our weather -- and our food
- Forecasting future flooding
- Federal regulators say Kraft Foods fixed wheat prices
- Fortress House
- New evidence for how a rare form of liver cancer arises
- 'War camel' found in Austrian cellar
- Egyptian Artifacts Salvaged From Raided Tomb in Israel
- Queen's Scientists Develop First Perfume Which Smells Better the More You Sweat
- Iraqi PM declares victory, but Tikrit still a battle
- Longer DNA fragments reveal rare species diversity
- Complete camel skeleton unearthed in Austria
- Researchers identify 'beige' fat-burning cells in humans
- Perfume 'can be enhanced by sweating'
- Boost for endangered butterflies
- Shortest lunar eclipse of the century: How to see it this weekend
- Self-driving SUV completes cross-country trip
- Well: Spring Vegetables for Passover
- What's Next for the World's Largest Atom Smasher? How to Watch Live
- NASA: California Tuolumne Snowpack 40 Percent of Worst Year
- NASA's Search for Water and Habitable Planets
- NASA's Curiosity Eyes Prominent Mineral Veins on Mars
- Iran nuclear talks extended another day
- Insecticide Rebranded As Personalized Medicine For Insects