Wild chimpanzees living in disturbed habitat may use innovative strategies, like foraging crops at night, to coexist with nearby human activities, according to a study published October 22, 2014 in the open-access journal PLOS ONE by Sabrina Krief from Muséum...
Hikers are generally advised that the weight of the packs they carry should correspond to their own size, with smaller individuals carrying lighter loads. Although petite backpackers might appreciate the...
Scientists have developed new geochemical tracers that can identify hydraulic fracturing flowback fluids that have been spilled or released into the environment.
The last ten years have been a remarkable time for great earthquakes. Since December 2004 there have been no less than 18 quakes of Mw8.0 or greater -- a rate...
Venus is hiding something beneath its brilliant shroud of clouds: a first order mystery about the planet that researchers may be a little closer to solving because of a new...
A newly described tarantula species from Western Brazilian Amazonia was named Bumba lennoni in honor of John Lennon, a founder member of the legendary band the Beatles. The new species...
The way in which male moths locate females flying hundreds of meters away has long been a mystery to scientists.
X-ray phase tomography is an imaging technique that uses penetrating X-rays to create volumetric views through "slices" or sections of soft biological tissues, such as tumors, and it offers strongly...
Approximately one-fourth of the 3,386 patients whose DNA was submitted for clinical whole exome testing received a diagnosis related to a known genetic disease, often ending a long search for...
Synthetic gene networks hold great potential for broad biotechnology and medical applications, but so far they have been limited to the lab. A study published by Cell Press October 23rd...
Sequencing the genomes of tumor cells has revealed thousands of genetic mutations linked with cancer. However, sifting through this deluge of information to figure out which of these mutations actually...
Crewed missions to Mars remain an essential goal for NASA, but scientists are only now beginning to understand and characterize the radiation hazards that could make such ventures risky, concludes...
Chapman University has initiated the first comprehensive nationwide study on what strikes fear in Americans in the first of what is a planned annual study. According to the Chapman poll,...
Improving household electricity access in India over the last 30 years contributed only marginally to the nation's total carbon emissions growth during that time, according to a new study published...
Popular News in Images
- Tropical storm batters southern Mexico coast, kills six
- Man pulls 14 cars over 18 feet for world record
- Patient Placed in Isolation for Ebola Testing at Bellevue Hospital in New York City
- Two families of comets found around nearby star Beta Pictoris
- Neanderthals and Humans First Mated 50,000 Years Ago, DNA Reveals
- Cosmonauts Take Spacewalk Outside Space Station Today: Watch It Live
- New iPad cellular models have Apple SIM flexibility
- Hospital of Ebola patient posts poor ER benchmarks
- Hands-On: OBERWERK MARINER 8x40 Binoculars for Sky-Watching
- Clashes in Hong Kong despite upcoming talks
- Deep space 'snowball' nears close shave with Mars
- A ‘Star Wars’ laser bullet — this is what it really looks like
- Mistakes and Reversals Shake Trust in Ebola Response, in Dallas and Beyond
- EU leaders seek more Ebola funding at summit
- Diet Supplements Contain Illegal Drugs Years After Recalls
- Goldilocks principle wrong for particle assembly: Too hot and too cold is just right
- Exoskeleton enables paralyzed groom to walk down the aisle
- All Three NASA Mars Orbiters Healthy After Comet Flyby
- Will consumers ditch their wallets for Apple Pay?
- SpaceX Dragon capsule leaves International Space Station
- Climate Change Impacts Countered By Stricter Fisheries Management
- Ice age settlement found in the Andes at record high altitude
- Organic Molecules in Titan's Atmosphere Are Intriguingly Skewed
- Fusion reactors still 10 years out as Lockheed Martin announces breakthrough
- Oberwerk Mariner 8x40 Binoculars Review: 2014 Edition