Florida State University researchers have taken a big step forward in the fight against cancer with a discovery that could open up the door for new research and treatment options.
Evidence from the tropical lowlands of Central America reveals how Maya activity more than 2,000 years ago not only contributed to the decline of their environment but continues to influence...
You've probably never noticed, but the human eye includes an unavoidable blind spot. That's because the optic nerve that sends visual signals to the brain must pass through the retina,...
Washington State University researchers have found that the timing of an animal's sleep can be just as important as how much sleeps it gets.
Droughts and heat waves are happening simultaneously with much greater frequency than in the past, according to research by climate experts at the University of California, Irvine. Their findings appear...
Multiple System Atrophy (MSA), a neurodegenerative disorder with similarities to Parkinson's disease, is caused by a newly discovered type of prion, akin to the misfolded proteins involved in incurable progressive...
When a plant dies, its leaves and branches fall to the ground. Decomposition of soil organic matter is then mainly carried out by fungi and bacteria, which convert dead plant...
Gum disease is a common condition among adults that occurs when bacteria form biofilms or plaques on teeth, and consequently the gums become inflamed. Some severe cases, called periodontitis, call...
Disproportionately more women than men die due to cardiovascular disease and heart attacks in the U.S., and current risk scoring systems--based on factors measured mainly in male populations--are poor predictors...
The social wasp Polybia paulista protects itself against predators by producing venom known to contain a powerful cancer-fighting ingredient. A Biophysical Journal study published September 1 reveals exactly how the...
Ancient rocks harbored microbial life deep below the seafloor, reports a team of scientists from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI), Virginia Tech, and the University of Bremen. This new...
Popular News in Images
- NASA: Sea Level Rise Is Going To Get Much Worse
- Ashley Madison CEO steps down in wake of hacking
- Tropical Storm Erika moves over Dominican Republic
- LEGO to Launch: Astronaut from Denmark Taking Danish Toys to Space Station
- Ecologists find predator-prey pattern consistent across diverse ecosystems
- VIDEO: Slow-melting ice cream developed
- UN: This El Nino to be among the strongest since 1950
- Is Apple working on a smaller iPhone 6?
- Oldest known species of sea scorpion unearthed
- Watch iriss launch live
- CT scan of Earth links deep mantle plumes with volcanic hotspots
- Study Provides Insights Into the Mechanisms of Fine-Tuning of Wheat to Diverse Environments
- Assessing Bacteria Growth Rate Gives Novel Insight into Health and Microbiome
- Ancient hybridization key to domestic dog's origin, wolf conservation efforts
- Karolinska Institute clears trachea surgeon of misconduct charges
- NASA Soil Moisture Radar Ends Operations, Mission Science Continues
- Study: Huddling rats behave like 'super-organism'
- Dirty farm air may ward off asthma in children
- Fighting explosives pollution with plants
- How to curb emissions? Put a price on carbon
- Study uses internet, social media to show how fracking documentary influenced public perception, political change
- Team engineers designer proteins that control enzyme activity
- Lizards can stomach island living
- Renowned neurologist, author Oliver Sacks dies at 82
- New Target For New Horizons - Boldly Going | Orbit Animation