A team of scientists at The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI), University of California, San Diego (UC San Diego) and Illumina, Inc., has completed the first large-scale assessment of single neuronal...
A team of international researchers have discovered the youngest fully-formed exoplanet ever detected, orbiting a young star 500 light years from Earth.
The incidence of Parkinson's disease and parkinsonism increased significantly in 30 years from 1976 to 2005, Mayo Clinic researchers reported today in a study in JAMA Neurology. This trend was...
A new study by Simon Fraser University marine ecologists Jessica Schultz, Ryan Cloutier and Isabelle Côté has discovered that a mass mortality of sea stars resulted in a domino effect...
Driverless cars pose a quandary when it comes to safety. These autonomous vehicles are programmed with a set of safety rules, and it is not hard to construct a scenario in which those rules come into conflict with each other....
Oceanic manta rays-often thought to take epic migrations-might actually be homebodies, according to a new study. A Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California San Diego-led research team...
An array of GPS instruments near the San Andreas Fault System in Southern California detects constant motion of Earth's crust--sometimes large, sudden motion during an earthquake and often subtle, creeping...
Giant Ice Age species including elephant-sized sloths and powerful sabre-toothed cats that once roamed the windswept plains of Patagonia, southern South America, were finally felled by a perfect storm of...
Earth's magnetosphere, the region of space dominated by Earth's magnetic field, protects our planet from the harsh battering of the solar wind. Like a protective shield, the magnetosphere absorbs and...
A team of researchers have created a detailed computational model of the electrophysiology of congestive heart failure, a leading cause of death. This "virtual heart" could help medical researchers study...
When dormant volcanoes are about to erupt, they show some predictive characteristics--seismic activity beneath the volcano starts to increase, gas escapes through the vent, or the surrounding ground starts to...
Popular News in Images
- "What is the EU?" trends on Google after Brexit vote
- Wow! Blue Origin Launches Capsule and Rocket, Lands Both Again | Video
- Lockheed gets SQQ-89 undersea warfare contract
- Returned astronaut Tim Peake relishes little things
- Rodney Dishman Receives ACSM Citation Award
- Insects started using camouflage 100 million years ago: Study
- [In Depth] High-profile cancer reviews trigger controversy
- Abortion Pill Orders Rise in 7 Latin American Nations on Zika Alert
- Study finds contagious cancers are spreading among several species of shellfish
- Decoding the glass 'genome' contributes to new functional materials
- Solar Plane Lands in Spain After Trans-Atlantic Voyage
- Sleeping Black Hole Awakens to Devour Doomed Star
- Scorpions have similar tastes in burrow architecture
- Existing diabetes drug shows effectiveness against chronic liver disease
- Compiler for analog computers enhances biological modeling
- Well: A-Fib Is More Dangerous for Blacks Than Whites
- Fiber, vitamin A may prevent peanut, other allergies
- Chinese 'homegrown' supercomputer named world's fastest
- Police investigating whether Anton Yelchin's SUV had defective transmission
- West Virginia floods: 26 dead, hundreds stranded
- Protein-based risk score may help predict cardiovascular events among patients with heart disease
- California nuclear power coming to an end
- Computers eyeing the jobs of sports camera operators
- New, flexible solar cells just 1 micrometer thick
- Zika Mosquitoes Differ From West Nile Mosquitoes, 'Bite At All Times Of The Day,' National Expert Says