The case was the first announced recording of space-time oscillations -- gravitational waves, reaching the Earth after a catastrophe that happened far in the Universe. That confirms a significant prediction made in the special theory of relativity made by Albert...
Scientists at MIT and elsewhere have identified the "first fingerprints of healing" of the Antarctic ozone layer, published today in the journal Science.
Scientists from Princeton University and NASA have confirmed that 1,284 objects observed outside Earth's solar system by NASA's Kepler spacecraft are indeed planets. Reported in The Astrophysical Journal on May...
Astronomers have discovered the first aurora ever seen in an object beyond our Solar System. The aurora -- similar to the famous "Northern Lights" on Earth -- is 10,000 times...
As record ocean temperatures cause widespread coral bleaching across Hawaii, NOAA scientists confirm the same stressful conditions are expanding to the Caribbean and may last into the new year, prompting...
At the center of a galaxy cluster, 1 billion light years from Earth, a voracious, supermassive black hole is preparing for a chilly feast.
Researchers have developed a new method for detecting and measuring one of the most powerful, and most mysterious, events in the Universe - a black hole being kicked out of its host galaxy and into intergalactic space at speeds as...
Is there life beyond our solar system? If there is, our best bet for finding it may lie in three nearby, Earth-like exoplanets.
Knut, the famous polar bear of the Berlin Zoological Garden (Germany) died of encephalitis, as diagnosed soon after his death. However, the cause of his disease has remained elusive until...
Griffith University researchers are part of an international team of scientists that has announced the discovery of ancestors of Homo floresiensis - the enigmatic species of pygmy-like humans discovered more...
Highlights Risk of kidney and thyroid cancers was especially high when kidney failure patients were on dialysis. Conversely, risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma, melanoma, lung cancer, and certain skin cancers...
Element 113, discovered by a RIKEN group led by Kosuke Morita, has become the first element on the periodic table found in Asia. Rewarding nearly a decade of painstaking work...
Popular News in Images
- Science Podcast - Analyzing soundscapes and a news roundup (21 Feb 2014)
- Mathematicians and the NSA and a news roundup
- RIT Professors Create New Method for Identifying Black Holes
- Mission to Alpha Centauri
- Climate Change Is Messing with Earth's Axis
- Changing minds on charitable giving and a news roundup (31 October 2014)
- Mariner Spacecraft
- Nobel for Chemistry goes to Duke professor, 2 others
- Fossil Trove Adds a New Limb to Human Family Tree
- NASA sees post-Patricia moisture, winds stalking the Mid-Atlantic
- SpaceX's recovered rocket back at port after sea landing
- Spaceflight Is Entering a New Golden Age, Says Blue Origin Founder Jeff Bezos
- Three Surveyors Eliminated from Program
- Radar Mapping of Venus Halted
- Vikings uncovered? 3 possible sites found in Canada
- Best of Last Week—White holes, elephants and cancer and the impact of dominating parents
- Virgin Galactic SpaceShipTwo Crash Traced to Co-Pilot Error
- S&P downgrades U.K.'s credit rating after Brexit vote
- Who is Alfred Nobel anyway?
- Mars water find boosts quest for extra-terrestrial life
- NASA satellite data shows Joaquin becoming a post-Tropical Cyclone
- Watch SpaceX Nearly Pull Off Its 4th Straight Rocket Landing at Sea (Video)
- Study: California leak was top methane release in US history
- Mystery Solved? Ceres' Bright Spots Likely Made of Salt
- Scientists aim to fight malaria with genetically engineered mosquitoes