The case was the first announced recording of space-time oscillations -- gravitational waves, reaching the Earth after a catastrophe that happened far in the Universe. That confirms a significant prediction made in the special theory of relativity made by Albert...
Researchers have developed a new method for detecting and measuring one of the most powerful, and most mysterious, events in the Universe - a black hole being kicked out of...
Scientists at MIT and elsewhere have identified the "first fingerprints of healing" of the Antarctic ozone layer, published today in the journal Science.
Scientists from Princeton University and NASA have confirmed that 1,284 objects observed outside Earth's solar system by NASA's Kepler spacecraft are indeed planets. Reported in The Astrophysical Journal on May...
Griffith University researchers are part of an international team of scientists that has announced the discovery of ancestors of Homo floresiensis - the enigmatic species of pygmy-like humans discovered more...
Members of the successful Apollo space program are experiencing higher rates of cardiovascular problems that are thought to be caused by their exposure to deep space radiation, according to a...
Is there life beyond our solar system? If there is, our best bet for finding it may lie in three nearby, Earth-like exoplanets.
Highlights Risk of kidney and thyroid cancers was especially high when kidney failure patients were on dialysis. Conversely, risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma, melanoma, lung cancer, and certain skin cancers...
At the center of a galaxy cluster, 1 billion light years from Earth, a voracious, supermassive black hole is preparing for a chilly feast.
Element 113, discovered by a RIKEN group led by Kosuke Morita, has become the first element on the periodic table found in Asia. Rewarding nearly a decade of painstaking work...
Some of the most abundant particles in the universe are the so-called ghost particles, neutrinos, which travel through virtually anything on their journey through the universe. Researchers have identified three...
Popular News in Images
- Science Podcast - Analyzing soundscapes and a news roundup (21 Feb 2014)
- Our Interstellar Neighbors: 5 Potentially Earth-Like Planets Nearby
- Mathematicians and the NSA and a news roundup
- RIT Professors Create New Method for Identifying Black Holes
- Mission to Alpha Centauri
- Climate Change Is Messing with Earth's Axis
- Changing minds on charitable giving and a news roundup (31 October 2014)
- Mariner Spacecraft
- NASA Probe to Bring Back Samples From Asteroid
- NASA sees post-Patricia moisture, winds stalking the Mid-Atlantic
- SpaceX's recovered rocket back at port after sea landing
- Spaceflight Is Entering a New Golden Age, Says Blue Origin Founder Jeff Bezos
- Three Surveyors Eliminated from Program
- Radar Mapping of Venus Halted
- Vikings uncovered? 3 possible sites found in Canada
- Opinion: SpaceX explosion shows why we must slow down private space exploration until we rewrite law
- S&P downgrades U.K.'s credit rating after Brexit vote
- Apple be damned: the humble headphone jack has survived for more than a century
- Watch SpaceX Nearly Pull Off Its 4th Straight Rocket Landing at Sea (Video)
- Study: California leak was top methane release in US history
- Mystery Solved? Ceres' Bright Spots Likely Made of Salt
- Scientists aim to fight malaria with genetically engineered mosquitoes
- No Longer Missing: Rosetta’s Philae Spacecraft Located on Comet
- Dream Chaser Spaceplane to Supply the Space Station
- Leaks in Instrument Force NASA to Delay Mars Mission Until 2018