The case was the first announced recording of space-time oscillations -- gravitational waves, reaching the Earth after a catastrophe that happened far in the Universe. That confirms a significant prediction made in the special theory of relativity made by Albert...
Researchers have developed a new method for detecting and measuring one of the most powerful, and most mysterious, events in the Universe - a black hole being kicked out of...
Scientists at MIT and elsewhere have identified the "first fingerprints of healing" of the Antarctic ozone layer, published today in the journal Science.
Scientists from Princeton University and NASA have confirmed that 1,284 objects observed outside Earth's solar system by NASA's Kepler spacecraft are indeed planets. Reported in The Astrophysical Journal on May...
Griffith University researchers are part of an international team of scientists that has announced the discovery of ancestors of Homo floresiensis - the enigmatic species of pygmy-like humans discovered more...
As record ocean temperatures cause widespread coral bleaching across Hawaii, NOAA scientists confirm the same stressful conditions are expanding to the Caribbean and may last into the new year, prompting...
At the center of a galaxy cluster, 1 billion light years from Earth, a voracious, supermassive black hole is preparing for a chilly feast.
Element 113, discovered by a RIKEN group led by Kosuke Morita, has become the first element on the periodic table found in Asia. Rewarding nearly a decade of painstaking work...
Is there life beyond our solar system? If there is, our best bet for finding it may lie in three nearby, Earth-like exoplanets.
Highlights Risk of kidney and thyroid cancers was especially high when kidney failure patients were on dialysis. Conversely, risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma, melanoma, lung cancer, and certain skin cancers...
Members of the successful Apollo space program are experiencing higher rates of cardiovascular problems that are thought to be caused by their exposure to deep space radiation, according to a...
Popular News in Images
- Science Podcast - Analyzing soundscapes and a news roundup (21 Feb 2014)
- Our Interstellar Neighbors: 5 Potentially Earth-Like Planets Nearby
- Mathematicians and the NSA and a news roundup
- RIT Professors Create New Method for Identifying Black Holes
- Mission to Alpha Centauri
- Climate Change Is Messing with Earth's Axis
- Changing minds on charitable giving and a news roundup (31 October 2014)
- Mariner Spacecraft
- Nobel for Chemistry goes to Duke professor, 2 others
- NASA Probe to Bring Back Samples From Asteroid
- NASA sees post-Patricia moisture, winds stalking the Mid-Atlantic
- SpaceX's recovered rocket back at port after sea landing
- Spaceflight Is Entering a New Golden Age, Says Blue Origin Founder Jeff Bezos
- Three Surveyors Eliminated from Program
- Radar Mapping of Venus Halted
- Vikings uncovered? 3 possible sites found in Canada
- Opinion: SpaceX explosion shows why we must slow down private space exploration until we rewrite law
- Best of Last Week—White holes, elephants and cancer and the impact of dominating parents
- S&P downgrades U.K.'s credit rating after Brexit vote
- Who is Alfred Nobel anyway?
- Mars water find boosts quest for extra-terrestrial life
- NASA satellite data shows Joaquin becoming a post-Tropical Cyclone
- Apple be damned: the humble headphone jack has survived for more than a century
- Watch SpaceX Nearly Pull Off Its 4th Straight Rocket Landing at Sea (Video)
- Study: California leak was top methane release in US history