In 2005, NASA's Cassini spacecraft sent pictures back to Earth depicting an icy Saturnian moon spewing water vapor and ice from fractures, known as "tiger stripes," in its frozen surface. It was big news that tiny Enceladus -- a mere...
Ignition -- the process of releasing fusion energy equal to or greater than the amount of energy used to confine the fuel -- has long been considered the "holy grail"...
Millimeter-wave imaging technology is widely used in airborne radar, automotive sensors and full-body scanners for passenger screening at airports. A new, quasi-optical radar technique images millimeter-wave radiation reflected from fusion...
A University of Utah astronomer and his colleagues discovered that an ultracompact dwarf galaxy harbors a supermassive black hole -- the smallest galaxy known to contain such a massive light-sucking...
A new series of measurements of oxygen isotopes provides increasing evidence that the Moon formed from the collision of Earth with another large, planet-sized astronomical body, around 4.5 billion years...
In its first three months of operation, the Large Underground Xenon (LUX) experiment has proven itself to be the most sensitive dark matter detector in the world, scientists with the experiment announced today.
The skeletal remains of a teenage female from the late Pleistocene or last ice age found in an underwater cave in Mexico have major implications for our understanding of the...
Astrophysicists using a telescope embedded in Antarctic ice have succeeded in a quest to detect and record the mysterious phenomena known as cosmic neutrinos -- nearly massless particles that stream...
In a world perfumed by freshly popped popcorn and exhaust fumes, where sea breezes can mingle with the scents of sweet flowers or wet paint, new research shows that humans...
In August, MIT researchers identified an exoplanet with an extremely brief orbital period: The team found that Kepler 78b, a small, intensely hot planet 400 light-years from Earth,...
The amazing ability of sidewinder snakes to quickly climb sandy slopes was once something biologists only vaguely understood and roboticists only dreamed of replicating. By studying the snakes in a...
Scientists have identified the fossilized remains of an extinct giant bird that could be the biggest flying bird ever found. With an estimated 20-24-foot wingspan, the creature surpassed size estimates...
Popular News in Images
- For Obese Women, Pregnancy Is A Good Time To Gain Less Weight
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
- Nobel physics prize goes to U.S., Japanese scientists for LED invention
- Researchers unveil Dreadnoughtus: A gigantic, exceptionally complete sauropod dinosaur
- Scientists to Unveil 'Major Discovery' at Astrophysics Center Monday
- A new object at the edge of our Solar System discovered
- First ring system around asteroid: Chariklo found to have two rings
- First chromosome made synthetically from yeast
- NASA Moon Probe Eyeing Chinese Lunar Lander from Orbit
- NASA Plans 3 Spacewalks to Fix Space Station, Delaying Private Cargo Launch
- Astronomers develop software for the Gaia satellite
- SpaceX CEO Elon Musk to unveil manned Dragon 'space taxi' on May 29
- Giant predatory dinosaur Spinosaurus was scourge of prehistoric rivers
- Seven tiny grains captured by Stardust likely visitors from interstellar space
- ScienceShot: Water Vapor Detected Around Solar System's Largest Asteroid
- SpaceX plans third launch attempt on Monday
- Light-Year-Long Knot | Space Wallpaper
- Neanderthals' genetic legacy
- Cave paintings in Indonesia suggest art came out of Africa
- NASA Will Unveil New Discoveries from Planet-Hunting Kepler Spacecraft Wednesday
- Space station crew gears up for two spacewalks
- The dinosaur ‘chicken from hell’
- Prosthetic provides sense of touch to man who lost hand
- Best Space Photos of the Week - May 25, 2014
- Nobel Prize winner Sanger dies at 95