In 2005, NASA's Cassini spacecraft sent pictures back to Earth depicting an icy Saturnian moon spewing water vapor and ice from fractures, known as "tiger stripes," in its frozen surface. It was big news that tiny Enceladus -- a mere...
The skeletal remains of a teenage female from the late Pleistocene or last ice age found in an underwater cave in Mexico have major implications for our understanding of the...
A University of Utah astronomer and his colleagues discovered that an ultracompact dwarf galaxy harbors a supermassive black hole -- the smallest galaxy known to contain such a massive light-sucking...
A new series of measurements of oxygen isotopes provides increasing evidence that the Moon formed from the collision of Earth with another large, planet-sized astronomical body, around 4.5 billion years...
The dramatic increase in earthquakes in central Oklahoma since 2009 is likely attributable to subsurface wastewater injection at just a handful of disposal wells, finds a new study to be...
Using instruments aboard the Cassini spacecraft to measure the wobbles of Mimas, the closest of Saturn's regular moons, a Cornell University astronomer publishing in Science, Oct. 17, has inferred that...
Powerful, destructive tropical cyclones are now reaching their peak intensity farther from the equator and closer to the poles, according to a new study co-authored by an MIT scientist.
Ignition -- the process of releasing fusion energy equal to or greater than the amount of energy used to confine the fuel -- has long been considered the "holy grail"...
In a world perfumed by freshly popped popcorn and exhaust fumes, where sea breezes can mingle with the scents of sweet flowers or wet paint, new research shows that humans...
The amazing ability of sidewinder snakes to quickly climb sandy slopes was once something biologists only vaguely understood and roboticists only dreamed of replicating. By studying the snakes in a...
Scientists have identified the fossilized remains of an extinct giant bird that could be the biggest flying bird ever found. With an estimated 20-24-foot wingspan, the creature surpassed size estimates...
Move over, Matrix -- astronomers have done you one better. They have created the first realistic virtual universe using a computer simulation called "Illustris." Illustris can recreate 13 billion years...
Popular News in Images
- For Obese Women, Pregnancy Is A Good Time To Gain Less Weight
- Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Set for Halloween Ride
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
- Orbital cargo ship readies for Monday launch
- Nobel physics prize goes to U.S., Japanese scientists for LED invention
- Researchers unveil Dreadnoughtus: A gigantic, exceptionally complete sauropod dinosaur
- Scientists to Unveil 'Major Discovery' at Astrophysics Center Monday
- A new object at the edge of our Solar System discovered
- First ring system around asteroid: Chariklo found to have two rings
- First chromosome made synthetically from yeast
- After 10 years, Rosetta and Philae are ready to rob a comet of its secrets
- NASA Moon Probe Eyeing Chinese Lunar Lander from Orbit
- NASA Plans 3 Spacewalks to Fix Space Station, Delaying Private Cargo Launch
- Astronomers develop software for the Gaia satellite
- SpaceX CEO Elon Musk to unveil manned Dragon 'space taxi' on May 29
- Giant predatory dinosaur Spinosaurus was scourge of prehistoric rivers
- Seven tiny grains captured by Stardust likely visitors from interstellar space
- ScienceShot: Water Vapor Detected Around Solar System's Largest Asteroid
- SpaceX plans third launch attempt on Monday
- Light-Year-Long Knot | Space Wallpaper
- Neanderthals' genetic legacy
- Cave paintings in Indonesia suggest art came out of Africa
- NASA Will Unveil New Discoveries from Planet-Hunting Kepler Spacecraft Wednesday
- Space station crew gears up for two spacewalks
- The dinosaur ‘chicken from hell’