DNA from the 8,500-year-old skeleton of an adult man found in 1996, in Washington, is more closely related to Native American populations than to any other population in the world,...
The amazing ability of sidewinder snakes to quickly climb sandy slopes was once something biologists only vaguely understood and roboticists only dreamed of replicating. By studying the snakes in a...
Darwin's finches, inhabiting the Galápagos archipelago and Cocos island, constitute an iconic model for studies of speciation and adaptive evolution. A team of scientists from Uppsala University and Princeton University...
Knut, the famous polar bear of the Berlin Zoological Garden (Germany) died of encephalitis, as diagnosed soon after his death. However, the cause of his disease has remained elusive until...
Jupiter may have swept through the early solar system like a wrecking ball, destroying a first generation of inner planets before retreating into its current orbit, according to a new...
Today an international team of astronomers from NASA's Kepler mission have announced the discovery of a near-Earth-sized planet in the habitable zone of a Sun-like star.
Our susceptibility to disease depends both on the genes that we inherit from our parents and on our lifetime experiences. These two components -- nature and nurture -- seem to...
Introduction of peanut products into the diets of infants at high risk of developing peanut allergy was safe and led to an 81 percent reduction in the subsequent development of...
Although well known as one of the most iconic dinosaurs, Brontosaurus (the 'thunder lizard') has long been considered misclassified. Since 1903, the scientific community has believed that the genus Brontosaurus...
Popular News in Images
- Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Set for Halloween Ride
- Orbital cargo ship readies for Monday launch
- Physics Nobel Honors Energy-Saving Light Bulbs
- A first peek beneath the surface of a comet
- Image: Chemistry experiment on space station
- SpaceX’s Next Frontier: Landing a Rocket on Earth
- LSU researchers apply modern genomic analysis to historic bird collection
- Kennewick Man closely related to Native Americans, geneticists say
- After 10 years, Rosetta and Philae are ready to rob a comet of its secrets
- Behind closed doors: How to win the Nobel prize
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Finds Clues to How Water Helped Shape Martian Landscape
- NASA Launching Orion Capsule Test Flight Thursday: Watch Live
- Study: Bones in South African cave reveal new human relative
- Fossil lower jaw sheds light on early Homo
- Rosetta casts doubt on comets as Earth’s water providers
- Cave paintings in Indonesia suggest art came out of Africa
- Beagle 2 Mars lander’s remains may have been spotted on red planet
- NASA Spacewalkers Take On Space Station Moving Chores
- X-rays unlock secrets of ancient scrolls buried by volcano
- Unusual interactions between Pluto's moons
- Know when to fold 'em: Researchers solve heads-up limit hold 'em poker
- Three reasons Apple's watch will—or won't—change the game
- New research reveals first warm-blooded fish
- SpaceX to Try Daring Rocket Landing Again Monday
- VIDEO: MPs to vote on three-person babies