More than 80 genetic 'spelling mistakes' that can increase the risk of breast, prostate and ovarian cancer have been found in a large, international research study within the framework of the EU network COGS. For the first time, the researchers...
Ignition -- the process of releasing fusion energy equal to or greater than the amount of energy used to confine the fuel -- has long been considered the "holy grail"...
Astrophysicists using a telescope embedded in Antarctic ice have succeeded in a quest to detect and record the mysterious phenomena known as cosmic neutrinos -- nearly massless particles that stream...
Thirty-five years after its launch, Voyager 1 appears to have travelled beyond the influence of the Sun and exited the heliosphere, according to a new study appearing online today.
Scientists have discovered a massive particle accelerator in the heart of one of the harshest regions of near-Earth space, a region of super-energetic, charged particles surrounding the globe called the...
The threat of infants being killed by unrelated males is the key driver of monogamy in humans and other primates.
In its first three months of operation, the Large Underground Xenon (LUX) experiment has proven itself to be the most sensitive dark matter detector in the world, scientists with the experiment announced today.
Data from a NASA airborne science mission reveals evidence of a large and previously unknown canyon hidden under a mile of Greenland ice.
Millimeter-wave imaging technology is widely used in airborne radar, automotive sensors and full-body scanners for passenger screening at airports. A new, quasi-optical radar technique images millimeter-wave radiation reflected from fusion...
In August, MIT researchers identified an exoplanet with an extremely brief orbital period: The team found that Kepler 78b, a small, intensely hot planet 400 light-years from Earth,...
University of Utah researchers developed a new weapon to fight poachers who kill elephants, hippos, rhinos and other wildlife. By measuring radioactive carbon-14 deposited in tusks and teeth by open-air...
Observed in the wild, tucked away in museum collections, and even exhibited in zoos around the world -- there is one mysterious creature that has been a victim of mistaken...
Popular News in Images
- NASA Making Voyager 1 Spacecraft Announcement Today: Watch It Live
- LHC to enter 'new realm of physics'
- Massive tornadoes hit Kansas and Oklahoma as Midwest and Southern states are placed on high alert - VINERS if you're at risk, please check in.
- Curiosity rover's recovery moving forward
- Fossil skull points to single root for human evolution
- Zimmerman shakes head during prosecution's closing argument
- Astronomers Discover Five-Planet System with Most Earthlike Exoplanet Yet
- NASA Moon Probe Eyeing Chinese Lunar Lander from Orbit
- Obama unveils White House brain-mapping project
- Space Station Leaking Vital Coolant, NASA Says
- Mars rover fails to find methane
- NASA Plans 3 Spacewalks to Fix Space Station, Delaying Private Cargo Launch
- Astronomers develop software for the Gaia satellite
- What Is the 'Hyperloop'? Billionaire Elon Musk to Reveal Futuristic Transportation Idea Monday
- ScienceShot: Water Vapor Detected Around Solar System's Largest Asteroid
- Second Spacewalk
- SpaceX plans third launch attempt on Monday
- Light-Year-Long Knot | Space Wallpaper
- Australopithecus sediba hominin: New study reveals how human ancestor walked, chewed, and moved
- Astronomers Celebrate New Era of Discovery with ALMA Inauguration
- Neanderthals' genetic legacy
- US Supreme Court bans DNA patents
- Planck spacecraft unveils earliest map of the universe
- NASA Will Unveil New Discoveries from Planet-Hunting Kepler Spacecraft Wednesday
- SpaceShipTwo could go supersonic Monday, billionaire backer says