Our susceptibility to disease depends both on the genes that we inherit from our parents and on our lifetime experiences. These two components -- nature and nurture -- seem to...
The amazing ability of sidewinder snakes to quickly climb sandy slopes was once something biologists only vaguely understood and roboticists only dreamed of replicating. By studying the snakes in a...
A University of Utah astronomer and his colleagues discovered that an ultracompact dwarf galaxy harbors a supermassive black hole -- the smallest galaxy known to contain such a massive light-sucking...
Introduction of peanut products into the diets of infants at high risk of developing peanut allergy was safe and led to an 81 percent reduction in the subsequent development of...
Although well known as one of the most iconic dinosaurs, Brontosaurus (the 'thunder lizard') has long been considered misclassified. Since 1903, the scientific community has believed that the genus Brontosaurus...
Darwin's finches, inhabiting the Galápagos archipelago and Cocos island, constitute an iconic model for studies of speciation and adaptive evolution. A team of scientists from Uppsala University and Princeton University...
Jupiter may have swept through the early solar system like a wrecking ball, destroying a first generation of inner planets before retreating into its current orbit, according to a new...
A new series of measurements of oxygen isotopes provides increasing evidence that the Moon formed from the collision of Earth with another large, planet-sized astronomical body, around 4.5 billion years...
Popular News in Images
- For Obese Women, Pregnancy Is A Good Time To Gain Less Weight
- Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Set for Halloween Ride
- Orbital cargo ship readies for Monday launch
- Nobel physics prize goes to U.S., Japanese scientists for LED invention
- A first peek beneath the surface of a comet
- Image: Chemistry experiment on space station
- SpaceX’s Next Frontier: Landing a Rocket on Earth
- LSU researchers apply modern genomic analysis to historic bird collection
- Researchers unveil Dreadnoughtus: A gigantic, exceptionally complete sauropod dinosaur
- After 10 years, Rosetta and Philae are ready to rob a comet of its secrets
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Finds Clues to How Water Helped Shape Martian Landscape
- NASA Launching Orion Capsule Test Flight Thursday: Watch Live
- Watch SpaceX's Big Reveal of Dragon V2 Spaceship
- Giant predatory dinosaur Spinosaurus was scourge of prehistoric rivers
- Seven tiny grains captured by Stardust likely visitors from interstellar space
- Fossil lower jaw sheds light on early Homo
- Rosetta casts doubt on comets as Earth’s water providers
- Cave paintings in Indonesia suggest art came out of Africa
- Beagle 2 Mars lander’s remains may have been spotted on red planet
- Space station crew gears up for two spacewalks
- X-rays unlock secrets of ancient scrolls buried by volcano
- Know when to fold 'em: Researchers solve heads-up limit hold 'em poker
- Three reasons Apple's watch will—or won't—change the game
- WATCH: Russian Soyuz rocket launches to the International Space Station
- New research reveals first warm-blooded fish