A groundbreaking six-year research collaboration has produced the most complete picture yet of the evolution of placental mammals, the group that includes humans. Placental mammals are the largest branch of...
Scientists have unlocked key components of the genetic code of one of the world's most important crops. The first analysis of the complex and exceptionally large bread wheat genome, published...
Astronomers have found an extraordinary galaxy cluster, one of the largest objects in the universe, that is breaking several important cosmic records. Observations of the Phoenix cluster with NASA's Chandra...
Thirty-five years after its launch, Voyager 1 appears to have travelled beyond the influence of the Sun and exited the heliosphere, according to a new study appearing online today.
In testosterone-deficient men, major weight loss was an added benefit of testosterone replacement therapy for most of the patients who participated in a new study.
In sharp contrast to previous studies suggesting that errors account for the majority of retracted scientific papers, a new analysis -- the most comprehensive of its kind -- has found...
Using the meticulous phenological records of two iconic American naturalists, Henry David Thoreau and Aldo Leopold, scientists have demonstrated that native plants in the eastern United States are flowering as...
More than 80 genetic 'spelling mistakes' that can increase the risk of breast, prostate and ovarian cancer have been found in a large, international research study within the framework of the EU network COGS. For the first time, the researchers...
Astronomers have made the unexpected discovery of two black holes inside an ancient cluster of stars in our galaxy, the Milky Way.
Adding the monoclonal antibody bavituximab to docetaxel chemotherapy doubles overall response rate and improves progression-free survival and overall survival in late-stage non-squamous, non-small cell lung cancer (NS-NSCLC) patients who have...
Researchers have found a way to use GPS to measure short-term changes in the rate of ice loss on Greenland -- and reveal a surprising link between the ice and...
For the first time, researchers have been able to show by acoustic analysis that whales -- or at least one very special white whale -- can imitate the voices of...
Chimpanzees and orangutans can experience a mid-life crisis just like humans, a study suggests.
Popular News in Images
- Prince Harry, Lance Armstrong and the psychology of scandal | Dean Burnett
- Possible meteor shower reported in eastern Russia
- LHC to enter 'new realm of physics'
- Haroche, Wineland win Nobel physics prize
- Detailed map of genome function
- Massive tornadoes hit Kansas and Oklahoma as Midwest and Southern states are placed on high alert - VINERS if you're at risk, please check in.
- The Black Hole Inside NGC 300 X-1 (Artist’s Impression)
- Richard III: unveiling day arrives for skeleton that would be king
- Sally Ride, first US woman in space, dies at 61
- Tiniest planet yet found with sound
- NASA Unveiling New Mars Discoveries by Curiosity Rover Tuesday
- Nobel Prize in Quackpottery: Physics | @GrrlScientist
- Astronomers Discover Five-Planet System with Most Earthlike Exoplanet Yet
- Alpha Centauri: Nearest Star System to the Sun
- Mercury's Atmosphere
- Verdict set for Monday in Italy quake scientists trial
- ScienceShot: Signs of Water in Martian Meteorite
- Obama unveils White House brain-mapping project
- Space Station Leaking Vital Coolant, NASA Says
- Source of Monster Black Hole's Energy Jet Identified
- Biologics May Prevent Premature Death in People with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- NASA Hosts Teleconference Today About Curiosity Rover
- Third radiation belt can wrap around Earth, probes reveal
- Australopithecus sediba hominin: New study reveals how human ancestor walked, chewed, and moved
- Astronomers Celebrate New Era of Discovery with ALMA Inauguration