Researchers have developed a new method for detecting and measuring one of the most powerful, and most mysterious, events in the Universe - a black hole being kicked out of its host galaxy and into intergalactic space at speeds as...
Griffith University researchers are part of an international team of scientists that has announced the discovery of ancestors of Homo floresiensis - the enigmatic species of pygmy-like humans discovered more...
Driverless cars pose a quandary when it comes to safety. These autonomous vehicles are programmed with a set of safety rules, and it is not hard to construct a scenario...
The same gene that enables tropical butterflies to mimic each other's bright and colourful patterning also caused British moths to turn black amid the grime of the industrial revolution, researchers...
A team of scientists has uncovered the global, evolving, and historic make-up of Plasmodium vivax, one of the five species of malaria that infect humans. The research, which links the...
Research by an international team of environmental scientists from the United Kingdom, Belgium and United States, including Indiana University, has found that plants that associate with one type of symbiotic...
Scientists at MIT and elsewhere have identified the "first fingerprints of healing" of the Antarctic ozone layer, published today in the journal Science.
At the center of a galaxy cluster, 1 billion light years from Earth, a voracious, supermassive black hole is preparing for a chilly feast.
LISA Pathfinder, a mission led by the European Space Agency (ESA) with contributions from NASA, has successfully tested a key technology needed to build a space-based observatory for detecting gravitational...
An experimental vaccine against Zika virus developed by Brazilian and US researchers has been tested successfully in trials with mice.
Like a pair of human hands, certain organic molecules have mirror-image versions of themselves, a chemical property known as chirality. These so-called "handed" molecules are essential for biology and have...
Researchers are investigating a new material that might help in nuclear fuel recycling and waste reduction by capturing certain gases released during reprocessing. Conventional technologies to remove these radioactive gases...
Astronomers using the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) detected a clear signal from oxygen in a galaxy located 13.1 billion light-years away from us. This is the most distant oxygen...
Popular News in Images
- RIT Professors Create New Method for Identifying Black Holes
- S&P downgrades U.K.'s credit rating after Brexit vote
- Watch SpaceX Nearly Pull Off Its 4th Straight Rocket Landing at Sea (Video)
- Life on the Space Station Beamed Into NYC Museum
- The Road to Mars Starts With This Rocket
- After Orlando shooting, focus on ISIS and terrorism distracts from real issues, UB queer history expert says
- New Report Doesn't Prove Cellphones Cause Cancer
- Mummified ancient bird offers clues about flight during mid-cretaceous
- Building Blocks of Life Found in Comet's Atmosphere
- Coral scientists urge Australia to conserve reefs, curb CO2 emissions
- Police: Woman found dead in Minnesota was estranged wife of UCLA shooter
- Rosetta spacecraft to give 'final kiss' to comet on crash-landing
- Fire Experiment On Spacecraft - First Look At The Flames | Raw Video
- Wow! Amazing SpaceX Video Gives a Rocket's-Eye View of Landing at Sea
- Wow! Blue Origin Launches Capsule and Rocket, Lands Both Again | Video
- Lockheed gets SQQ-89 undersea warfare contract
- Returned astronaut Tim Peake relishes little things
- Rodney Dishman Receives ACSM Citation Award
- Turkey airport bombers from Russia, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan, 13 arrested
- Four new element names added to the periodic table
- Photos: Escape Tunnel at Holocaust Death Site
- Even 'good' insurance comes with hidden hospital bills
- Saab debuts Giraffe 1X antenna at Eurosatory
- LinkedIn mega-deal puts new focus on social media
- Scientists unveil plan to create synthetic human genomes