Nearly 269,000 tons of plastic pollution may be floating in the world's oceans, according to a study published December 10, 2014 in the open-access journal PLOS ONE by Marcus Eriksen...
Each year in the Northern Hemisphere, levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide drop in the summer as plants "inhale," then climb again as they exhale after the growing season.
The findings prompt the authors to describe children's cartoons as "rife with death and destruction," with content akin to the "rampant horrors" of popular films for adults given restrictive age...
Scientists may have solved a long-standing enigma known as the African Humid Period -- an intense increase in cumulative rainfall in parts of Africa that began after a long dry...
Leptin, a hormone that regulates the amount of fat stored in the body, also drives the increase in blood pressure that occurs with weight gain, according to researchers from Monash...
A close look at the night sky reveals that stars don't like to be alone; instead, they congregate in clusters, in some cases containing as many as several million stars....
The team responsible for the Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM) instrument suite on NASA's Curiosity rover has made the first definitive detection of organic molecules at Mars. Organic molecules are...
Could there finally be tangible evidence for the existence of dark matter in the Universe? After sifting through reams of X-ray data, scientists in EPFL's Laboratory of Particle Physics and...
A comprehensive, 21-year analysis of the fastest-melting region of Antarctica has found that the melt rate of glaciers there has tripled during the last decade.
Astronomers using the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) may have detected the dusty hallmarks of an entire family of Pluto-size objects swarming around an adolescent version of our own Sun.
In the fight against global warming, carbon capture -- chemically trapping carbon dioxide before it releases into the atmosphere -- is gaining momentum, but standard methods are plagued by toxicity,...
The Antarctic ice sheet is a giant water reservoir. The ice cap on the southern continent is on average 2,100 meters thick and contains about 70 percent of the world's...
Astronomers have measured the passing of a super-Earth in front of a bright, nearby Sun-like star using a ground-based telescope for the first time. The transit of the exoplanet 55...
Popular News in Images
- LSU researchers apply modern genomic analysis to historic bird collection
- Adventures of European comet lander may not be over
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Finds Clues to How Water Helped Shape Martian Landscape
- NASA Launching Orion Capsule Test Flight Thursday: Watch Live
- Rosetta casts doubt on comets as Earth’s water providers
- Etchings on a 500,000-year-old shell appear to have been made by human ancestor
- Underwater robot takes stock of Antarctica's sea ice from below
- Scientists Map Mouse Genome's 'Mission Control Centers'
- LHCb experiment observes two new baryon particles never seen before
- NASA sees new tropical storm threatening Mauritius and Reunion Islands
- Toughest breast cancer may have met its match: Protein inhibitor makes cell susceptible to chemotherapy
- Space station's 3-D printer pops out 1st creation
- Birds of a Feather? NSU Researcher Working to Unlock the Genome of Birds
- You can hear the coral reefs dying
- Post-medieval Polish buried as potential 'vampires' were likely local
- Philae comet landing 'all a blur'
- Chicago scientists open Egyptian mummy coffin
- DNA Can Survive Reentry from Space
- Transforming cities for sustainability
- About 100 brains missing from University of Texas
- Scientists re-create what may be life's first spark
- Cage-bound chimp doesn't have same rights as humans, court rules
- Supermassive Black Holes Even Heavier Than Thought
- NASA's All About That Space in parody video celebrates Orion
- Blu-ray disc can be used to improve solar cell performance