Scientists at Oregon Health & Science University and the Oregon National Primate Research Center (ONPRC) have successfully reprogrammed human skin cells to become embryonic stem cells capable of transforming into any other cell type in the body. It is believed...
A strange stellar pair nearly 7,000 light-years from Earth has provided physicists with a unique cosmic laboratory for studying the nature of gravity. The extremely strong gravity of a massive...
Researchers at the Universities of Leeds and Chicago have uncovered an important mechanism behind the generation of astrophysical magnetic fields such as that of the Sun.
Ancient DNA recovered from a series of skeletons in central Germany up to 7,500 years old has been used to reconstruct the first detailed genetic history of modern Europe.
Two fossil discoveries from the East African Rift reveal new information about the evolution of primates, according to a study published online in Nature this week led by Ohio University...
An international team of physicists has found the first direct evidence of pear shaped nuclei in exotic atoms.
Detecting alien worlds presents a significant challenge since they are small, faint, and close to their stars. The two most prolific techniques for finding exoplanets are radial velocity (looking for...
Heart failure is one of the most debilitating conditions linked to old age, and there are no specific therapies for the most common form of this condition in the elderly....
NASA scientists don't often learn that their spacecraft is at risk of crashing into another satellite. But when Julie McEnery, the project scientist for NASA's Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope, checked...
Video games that pit players against human-looking characters may be more likely to provoke violent thoughts and words than games where monstrous creatures are the enemy, according to a new study by researchers at the University of Connecticut and Wake...
Inspired by the complex fly eye, an interdisciplinary team led by researchers at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Northwestern University has developed a hemispherical digital camera with nearly...
A UK-Canadian team of scientists has discovered ancient pockets of water, which have been isolated deep underground for billions of years and contain abundant chemicals known to support life.
In a dark, starless patch of intergalactic space, astronomers have discovered a never-before-seen cluster of hydrogen clouds strewn between two nearby galaxies, Andromeda (M31) and Triangulum (M33). The researchers speculate...
Bubble baths and soapy dishwater, the refreshing head on a beer and the luscious froth on a cappuccino. All are foams, beautiful yet ephemeral as the bubbles pop one by...
The Maya civilization is well-known for its elaborate temples, sophisticated writing system, and mathematical and astronomical developments, yet the civilization's origins remain something of a mystery.
A new study, led by a Binghamton University anthropologist and published this week by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, could shed new light on the earliest existence...
Mymaridae, commonly known as fairyflies, are one of about 18 families of chalcid wasps. Fairyflies occur worldwide, except in Antarctica. They include the world's smallest known winged insect -- Kikiki...
A new analysis shows that the nation's land and water resources could likely support the growth of enough algae to produce up to 25 billion gallons of algae-based fuel a...
Popular News in Images
- Massive tornadoes hit Kansas and Oklahoma as Midwest and Southern states are placed on high alert - VINERS if you're at risk, please check in.
- The Math: What Life On Kepler-62e Would Be Like
- Space Station Leaking Vital Coolant, NASA Says
- SpaceShipTwo could go supersonic Monday, billionaire backer says
- Laboratory flies turn to cannibalism
- Global carbon dioxide in atmosphere passes milestone level
- Canadian Chris Hadfield prepares for Soyuz ride home
- Women have new options for breast cancer surgery
- NOAO: A Kepler's Dozen: Thirteen Stories about Distant Worlds that Really Exist
- Bats use blood to reshape tongue for feeding
- Moon rocks offer new view of lunar dynamo
- Bee deaths: EU may ban pesticides
- Space Station Evolution: 6 Amazing Orbital Outposts
- Galaxy Goes Green in Burning Stellar Fuel
- Two Strong Solar Flares Erupt From Far Side | Video
- Humpback whales able to learn from others, study finds
- Ice-free Arctic may be in our future, says research
- NASA Probe Gets Close-Up Views of Large Hurricane on Saturn
- Ancient Earth crust stored in deep mantle
- Healing a Nation After Boston Bombing Trauma: Op-Ed
- Stephen Hawking joins academic boycott of Israel
- Cross-Country Solar Plane Expedition Set for Takeoff
- Hubble Captures Comet ISON
- BlackBerry CEO may announce lower-priced phone
- Charlotte Mayor Foxx to be nominated head of DOT