The dramatic increase in earthquakes in central Oklahoma since 2009 is likely attributable to subsurface wastewater injection at just a handful of disposal wells, finds a new study to be...
Cardiologists at the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute have developed a minimally invasive gene transplant procedure that changes unspecialized heart cells into "biological pacemaker" cells that keep the heart steadily beating.
A new raptorial dinosaur fossil with exceptionally long feathers has provided exciting insights into dinosaur flight. A paper published in Nature Communications on July 15, 2014 asserts that the fossil...
By using sophisticated GPS tracking to monitor seals' every movement, researchers have shown for the first time that some individuals are repeatedly drawn to offshore wind farms and pipelines. Those...
Many women and physicians believe that a pelvic examination should be part of annual well visits, but an analysis of the current evidence by the American College of Physicians (ACP)...
Kangaroos may be nature's best hoppers. But when they are grazing on all fours, which is most of the time, their tail becomes a powerful fifth leg, says a new...
Thought to dwell mostly near the ocean's surface, Chilean devil rays (Mobula tarapacana) are most often seen gliding through shallow, warm waters. But a new study by scientists at Woods...
Scientists have identified the fossilized remains of an extinct giant bird that could be the biggest flying bird ever found. With an estimated 20-24-foot wingspan, the creature surpassed size estimates...
The child known as the "Mississippi baby" -- an infant seemingly cured of HIV that was reported as a case study of a prolonged remission of HIV infection in The...
Dinosaurs might have survived the asteroid strike that wiped them out if it had taken place slightly earlier or later in history, scientists say.
A chimpanzee's intelligence is largely determined by its genes, while environmental factors may be less important than scientists previously thought, according to a Georgia State University research study.
An international team of researchers, including scientists from the Max Planck Institute for Medical Research in Heidelberg, has just a reported a major step in understanding photosynthesis, the process by...
Researchers at the University of California, Riverside's Bourns College of Engineering have created a lithium ion battery that outperforms the current industry standard by three times. The key material: sand....
Washington State University researchers have sketched out one of the greatest baby booms in North American history, a centuries-long "growth blip" among southwestern Native Americans between 500 to 1300 A.D.
Pornography triggers brain activity in people with compulsive sexual behaviour -- known commonly as sex addiction -- similar to that triggered by drugs in the brains of drug addicts, according...
Popular News in Images
- Tropical Storm Arthur, first in the 2014 Atlantic hurricane season, is now official
- Malaysia Airlines plane crashed in Ukraine, possibly shot down
- Forgotten vials of smallpox found in storage room
- Scientists complete chromosome-based draft of the wheat genome
- Hubble Spots Spiral Bridge of Young Stars Linking Two Ancient Galaxies
- 15-year analysis of blue whale range off California finds conflict with shipping lanes
- Nature journal retracts stem cell paper citing "critical errors"
- Feathered dinosaurs may have been the rule, not the exception
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Your Earthquake Risk May Have Just Spiked
- Elephants possess 'superior' sense of smell, study finds
- Earthquake shakes southern Mexico, Central America
- Secular And Longitudinal Trends In Young Female Dieting Strategies - 30 Year Study
- Genome-wide analysis reveals genetic similarities among friends
- NASA Long-Lived Mars Opportunity Rover Passes 25 Miles of Driving
- The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
- Fukushima monkeys show possible 'effects of radiation'
- Happy 158th, Nikola Tesla! Strange Facts About the Inventor
- Bird decline linked to pesticide use
- Buzz Asks: Where Were You When Apollo 11 Landed? | Video
- A hotspot for powerful cosmic rays: Physicists a step closer to finding mysterious sources
- Flight may have evolved multiple times in birds
- Ancient arachnid brought back to life (w/ Video)
- 'Bigfoot' samples analyzed in lab
- Suspected Ebola victim dies in quarantine in Nigeria