Popular Science articles about Psychology & Sociology
Researchers at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis say acculturative stress may explain, in part, why Indiana's Latino youth face an alarming disparity in depression and suicide rates when compared to their...
Why is Jamaica, with a population smaller than that of Los Angeles, home to so many of the world's elite sprinters -- runners who compete in the 100, 200, 400...
The loss of eyesight, often caused by retinal degeneration, is a life-altering health issue for many people, especially as they age. But a new development toward a prosthetic retina could...
There may be a scientific answer for why conservatives and liberals disagree so vehemently over the existence of issues like climate change and specific types of crime.
In an era of reduced funding, it's not enough for a young researcher to be a good scientist. He or she also needs "street smarts" to, for example, find an...
Pro-life Americans are less likely to hear about the abortions women they know have had than are pro-choice Americans, a New York University study shows. The findings, which appear in...
Imagine this scenario: You've been feeling persistently blue lately, so you pull out your phone. Instead of asking Siri to tell you a joke, though, you open an app that...
We're more likely to punish wrongdoing as a third party to a non-violent offense than when we're victimized by it, according to a new study by New York University psychology...
A study by the University of Southampton has found there are far fewer women studying economics than men, with women accounting for just 27 per cent of economics students, despite...
A couple of years ago a scientist looking at dozens of MRI scans of human brains noticed something surprising. A large, fiber pathway that seemed to be part of the...
Action movies may drive box office revenues, but dramas and deeper, more serious movies earn audience acclaim and appreciation, according to a team of researchers.
The effects of chronic marijuana use on the brain may depend on age of first use and duration of use, according to researchers at the Center for BrainHealth at The...
A Kansas State University psychological sciences professor is using twin studies to understand the nature versus nurture debate of the workplace: Do genetic factors or environmental factors influence employee proactivity?
It's commonly believed that creativity is a process that involves connecting ideas and building on the past to create something new. But is it better to "think outside the box,"...
Career and family, often seen as competing parts of life, can actually complement each other, and when young people's goals for the future encompass family and career, the outcome is...
If the surroundings are designed to be sufficiently stimulating, even a simple computer screen is enough to generate an intense cinematic experience. After observing some 300 study subjects, researchers at...
In the future, computers may be capable of talking to us during meetings just like a remote teleconference participant. But to help move this science-fiction-sounding goal a step closer to...
Negative feelings about one's own weight, known as internalized weight bias, influence the success people have after undergoing weight loss surgery, according to research appearing in the journal Obesity Surgery,...
Psychology News in Images
- U.S. Army puts women through Ranger training, selects 31 female advisers
- More education leads to more stress, study says
- Portland Juggalos accused of writing threatening messages claim they were framed
- Suicide bomber kills at least 45 at Afghan volleyball match
- Straights back legal benefits for same-sex couples, but not public kissing
- Mel Gibson in talks to direct Andrew Garfield in WWII film
- Rewilding aims to give land back to nature, but what's really 'natural'?
- Julianne Moore says her role model is Meryl Streep
- Bahrain holds first elections since Arab Spring, Shias boycott
- Ohio State erases deficit to beat Indiana
- Little Considered: Treatment Of Transgendered Prison Inmates
- Tom Brady, New England Patriots cruise past Lions
- Forging a photo is easy, but how do you spot a fake?
- No Ferguson grand jury decision this weekend
- Kirk Cameron says he's happy people are responding to his 'Saving Christmas' film
- Self-regulation intervention boosts school readiness of at-risk children, study shows
- Rejecting unsuitable suitors is easier said than done
- Trouble with your boss? Own it
- Moon may influence sleep, study finds
- For Thanksgiving, Our Favorite Photos of Feasts Around the World
- Science gets a nod in Obama’s immigration plans
- Pope meets with autistic children
- Violence against women needs to 'come out the shadows'
- Comprehensive analysis of children's rights in 190 countries
- When shareholders exacerbate their own banks' crisis
- University of Virginia suspends fraternities in light of sexual assault investigation
- Employees of small, locally owned businesses have more company loyalty, study finds
- Smartphone Innovations Could Transform Health Care
- Behind the scenes of a "shocking" new study on human altruism
- National plan needed to address violence against immigrant and refugee women