Popular Science articles about Earth & Climate
A research group from the CERN Cloud experiment, including scientists from Carnegie Mellon University's College of Engineering and Mellon College of Science, have uncovered the processes behind the formation and...
Dartmouth College researchers are shedding light on the early chemical reactions in the organic sediments that would ultimately become the Marcellus Shale, a major source of natural gas and petroleum.
Fifty-nine finfish species have 'disappeared' from fishermen's catches in the world's most species rich and vulnerable marine region, new research has shown.
Climate scientists have long recognized the importance of forest conservation and forest regrowth in climate mitigation and carbon sequestration -- capturing carbon dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere. But the detailed...
Scientists are studying how climate change will affect the speed of sound under water to help prepare the U.S. Navy for operating in progressively warmer oceans.
Seismologists have created a new algorithm that could one day help give coastal cities early warning of incoming tsunamis.
It is possible to significantly slow down and even temporarily stop the progression of global warming by increasing the atmospheric aerosol concentration, shows a new study from the University of...
When temperatures are scorching, southern yellow-billed hornbills in the Kalahari Desert of southern Africa dilate blood vessels in their beaks to thermoregulate and cool off, according to a study published...
A new study on the connection between earthquakes and volcanoes took its inspiration from old engineering basics. Future applications of these results may enable better predictions of the likelihood of...
Climate News in Images
- [Report] An ice age recorded in the polar deposits of Mars
- How a Huge Landslide Shaped Zion National Park
- Snorkeling Paradise Inside a Volcano Named Best US Beach
- L-3 receives $302 million C-12 contract
- Oil sands industry a major source of air pollution, study finds
- New lava flows from Hawaii's most active volcano Kilauea
- Missing for 72 Years: WWII Aircraft Finally Located in Pacific
- Ecosystems with many and similar species can handle tougher environmental disturbances
- SpaceX Will Attempt Another Rocket Launch and Landing Today: Watch Live
- Fort McMurray fires cause air quality issues
- Scientists explain the art of creating digital hurricanes
- Migrant ship in Mediterranean capsizes; 77 rescued, dozens dead
- Climate change still a 'race against the clock': UN climate chief
- Former Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho signs with Manchester United
- [In Depth] Brazilian crisis threatens science and environment
- [In Depth] Near miss at Fukushima is a warning for U.S
- Thermal modification of wood and a complex study of its properties by magnetic resonance
- U.S. fighter jets crash off North Carolina coast, 4 on board rescued
- Lauren Conrad teases new project with MTV
- Man cooks up 'deep fried water' for 'terrible ideas' hackathon
- What do grizzly-polar hybrids mean for polar bears? Scientists debate
- Oakland A's bullpen is collapsing under heavy workload
- Rihanna to release sunglass collection with Dior
- House proposal to protect LGBT workers passes after chaotic first vote
- L-3 Communications to open new facility in Canada
- Climate change threatens World Heritage sites, report says
- Hongkongers pooh-pooh waste treatment plant, despite free spa
- Thailand closes dive sites over coral bleaching crisis
- Quantum cycles power cold-atom pump
- New guidelines and tools to combat food waste
Popular Climate news
- Rice-led study offers new answer to why Earth's atmosphere became oxygenated
- Cooling cows efficiently with water spray
- Paris climate agreement cannot be met without emissions reduction target for agriculture
- Chemical emitted by trees can impact St. Louis' ozone levels
- New study finds major earthquake threat from the Riasi fault in the Himalayas