Popular Science articles about Earth & Climate
The severe drought gripping the western United States in recent years is changing the landscape well beyond localized effects of water restrictions and browning lawns. Scientists at Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego have now discovered that the...
The sweet and salty aroma of sunscreen and seawater signals a relaxing trip to the shore. But scientists are now reporting that the idyllic beach vacation comes with an environmental...
Unanticipated economic benefits from the shale oil and gas boom could help offset the costs of substantially reducing the U.S.'s carbon footprint, Purdue agricultural economists say.
Scientists from the Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research (AWI), have found between Greenland and Spitsbergen the scours left behind on the sea bed by gigantic...
The fate of oil during the first day after an accidental oil spill is still poorly understood, with researchers often arriving on the scene only after several days. New findings...
A commonly held belief that global warming will diminish oxygen concentrations in the ocean looks like it may not be entirely true. According to new research published in Science magazine,...
The first breakthrough paper to come out of a massive U.S. expedition to one of Earth's final frontiers shows that there's life and an active ecosystem one-half mile below the...
Under the right scenario, exporting U.S. coal to power plants in South Korea could lead to a 21 percent drop in greenhouse gas emissions compared to burning the fossil fuel...
When the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change recently requested a figure for its annual report, to show global temperature trends over the last 10,000 years, the University of Wisconsin-Madison's Zhengyu...
Seismic events aren't rare occurrences on Antarctica, where sections of the frozen desert can experience hundreds of micro-earthquakes an hour due to ice deformation. Some scientists call them icequakes. But...
Carbon reduction efforts in the airline industry will be outweighed by growth in air-traffic, even if the most contentious mitigation measures are implemented, according to new research by the University...
An international team of researchers has found extremely small habitats that increase the potential for life on other planets while offering a way to clean up oil spills on our...
Climate News in Images
- Citizen scientists saving lives around deadly 'Throat of Fire' volcano
- Tropical Storm Karina: Status quo on infrared satellite imagery
- NASA scientists watching, studying Arctic changes this summer
- C2D2 fighting corrosion
- Carbon capture and storage finally approaching debut
- Study confirms water quality in glass and plastic bottles
- Despite significant reduction in smog-producing toxins, the Greater Toronto Area still violates ozone standards
- CSU Nanoparticle Research Could Enhance Oil Recovery, Tracing of Fracking Fluid
- The Two Wildfires Everyone Should Be Talking About (Op-Ed)
- Microbes Found Beneath Antarctic Ice: What It Means for Alien Life Hunt
- Dot Earth Blog: A Small Island Takes a Big Step on Ocean Conservation
- Climate change could see dengue fever come to Europe
- Remembering Schwarzkopf and Operation Desert Storm
- White House threatens 'additional consequences' following Russian's incursion into Ukraine
- Kari Byron, Tory Belleci, Grant Imahara depart 'MythBusters'
- Watch as dying koala is revived with mouth-to-mouth CPR
- Pentagon releases video of U.S. air strikes against IS
- Ten years later: Where's 'The Scream'?
- San Bernardino police officer critically wounded; suspect dead
- Red Sox sign Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo for 7-year deal
- Military training aircraft delivered to Mexico
- Chris Rock catches foul ball at Yankees game, gives it away
- Two tourist buses collide near resort in Egypt; 38 dead
- Dead floppy drive: Kenya recycles global e-waste
- Damen, Astinave in patrol boat deal
- Jellyfish Invade California Lake
- CU-Boulder leads international unmanned aircraft testing event at Pawnee Grassland
- Mudslides hit area in Washington State charred by wildfires
- Not Again: Iceland Warns of Volcano Eruption Risk
- Ice Cream Goes Southern, Okra Extracts May Increase Shelf-Life
Popular Climate news
No popular news yet
- A global temperature conundrum: Cooling or warming climate?
- New research suggests Saharan dust is key to the formation of Bahamas' Great Bank
- New research links tornado strength, frequency to climate change
- Record decline of ice sheets
- First national study finds trees saving lives, reducing respiratory problems