Popular Science articles about Earth & Climate
University of Sydney geoscientists have helped prove that some of the ocean's underwater volcanoes did not erupt from hot spots in Earth's mantle but instead formed from cracks or fractures in the oceanic crust.
Nearly half of foodborne illnesses in the U.S. from 1998 through 2008 have been attributed to contaminated fresh produce. Prevention and control of bacterial contamination on fresh produce is critical...
It may seem unlikely that a large earthquake would take place hundreds of kilometers away from a tectonic plate boundary, in areas with low levels of strain on the crust...
The U.S. Congress successfully hears the "supermajority" consensus on the reality and causes of climate change, according to scientists from Texas A&M University, Idaho State University, and University of Oklahoma....
A new study based on 1,000 years of temperature records suggests global warming is not progressing as fast as it would under the most severe emissions scenarios outlined by the...
Some scientists have suggested that global warming could melt frozen ground in the Arctic, releasing vast amounts of the potent greenhouse gas methane into the atmosphere, greatly amplifying global warming....
Spanish and Portuguese researchers have analysed the composition and radiative effect of desert aerosols during two episodes which simultaneously affected Badajoz (Spain) and Évora (Portugal) in August 2012. Results show...
A new paper by Oxford researchers argues that some countries in Western Europe, and the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand now have birth rates that are now relatively close...
High elevation environments around the world may be warming much faster than previously thought, according to members of an international research team including Raymond Bradley, director of the Climate System...
Many scientists assume that the growing level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will accelerate plant growth. However, a new study co-written by University of Montana researchers suggests much of...
Climate News in Images
- Costa Rica issues alert after ship carrying ammonium nitrate sinks off Pacific coast
- Tiger Woods' 3-year relationship to Vonn ends due to 'hectic lives'
- Rare African plant signals diamonds beneath the soil
- The Uphill Battle to Better Regulate Formaldehyde
- Tampa Bay Lighting light up Montreal Canadians
- Kanye West changes album name to 'SWISH'
- At least 5 earthquakes strike San Francisco Bay Area on Sunday
- VIDEO: Arctic research from an ice-bound boat
- Los Angeles experiences 3.8 magnitude earthquake
- Texas A&M trying to shut down real 'batcaves' on campus
- Troubled forecasters seek way to improve tornado warnings
- Engineering A Better Future For The Mississippi Delta
- Nearly 3,700 migrants at sea rescued off coast of Libya, taken to Italy
- Marshes, reefs, beaches can enhance coastal resilience
- Climate change: the big myths that need to be exploded
- Americans stream away in shifting TV landscape
- Shell agrees to start clean up of 2008 Niger Delta oil spill
- The lukewarmers don’t deny climate change. But they say the outlook’s fine
- Ashley Judd to narrate show open for NBC's telecast of Kentucky Derby
- Pope Francis continues speaking out about climate change
- UPI Horse Racing Derby Weekend Preview
- Brian Williams removed from image attached to 'Nightly News' podcast
- President Lincoln's Illinois funeral recreated on 150th anniversary
- Matter: New Estimates for Extinctions Global Warming Could Cause
- Islamic State hit with 24 air strikes by U.S., allies
- Ocean fronts improve climate and fishery production, study finds
- U.S. found liable for Hurricane Katrina flooding
- Why can't we predict earthquakes?
- May Day demonstrators clash with police in Pacific Northwest, officers injured
- Lava Lake Loki on Jupiter's moon Io, up close
Popular Climate news
No popular news yet
- UT research uncovers lakes, signs of life under Antarctica's dry valleys
- Researchers find 200-year lag between climate events in Greenland, Antarctica
- Research seeks alternatives for reducing bacteria in fresh produce using nanoengineering
- Gravity data show that Antarctic ice sheet is melting increasingly faster
- How cracking explains underwater volcanoes and the Hawaiian bend