Popular Science articles about Earth & Climate
Each year in the Northern Hemisphere, levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide drop in the summer as plants "inhale," then climb again as they exhale after the growing season.
An ultra-high-resolution NASA computer model has given scientists a stunning new look at how carbon dioxide in the atmosphere travels around the globe.
Today, scientists at the Natural Capital Project share new science and open source software that can calculate risk to coastal and marine ecosystems. These novel tools, described in the journal...
An international team of researchers has, for the first time, estimated the amount of methane (CH4) and nitrous oxide (N2O) that countries release into the atmosphere when producing meat from...
Brazil´s globally significant ecosystems could be exposed to mining and dams if proposals currently being debated by the Brazilian Congress go ahead, according to researchers publishing in the journal Science...
Does synthetic biology hold the key to manned space exploration of the Moon and Mars? Berkeley Lab researchers have used synthetic biology to produce an inexpensive and reliable microbial-based alternative...
Human-set fires by a small Polynesian population in New Zealand ~750 years ago may have caused fire-vulnerable forests to shift to shrub land over decades, rather than over centuries, as...
Using ocean observations and a large suite of climate models, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory scientists have found that long-term salinity changes have a stronger influence on regional sea level changes than previously thought.
In the 1970s, ecologists published results from one of the first whole-forest ecosystem studies ever conducted in Hubbard Brook, New Hampshire. In the paper, scientists reported that salamanders represent one...
New work from a team led by Carnegie's Greg Asner shows the limitations of long-used research methods in tropical rainforest ecology and points to new technological approaches for understanding forest...
Researchers from Northeastern University's Marine Science Center and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill have found that moderate ocean acidification and warming can actually enhance the growth rate...
Scientists have identified a mechanism that could turn out to be a big contributor to warming in the Arctic region and melting sea ice.
Climate News in Images
- After nuclear phase-out, Germany debates scrapping coal
- Seychelles poachers go nutty for erotic shaped seed
- Record Drought Reveals Stunning Changes Along Colorado River
- Expect More Giant Snowstorms as Climate Warms (Op-Ed)
- Anthony Davis lifts Pelicans over Jazz
- Black seadevil fish caught on video at 1,900 feet below sea level
- Climate change is not just about science – it’s about the future we want to create
- Geologists discover ancient canyon buried in Tibet
- Tiger Woods picks Chris Como as new swing coach
- 6.8-magnitude quake hits Japan's Nagano city
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson to host Disney on Broadway special
- Barley elevated Central Asian farmers to ‘the roof of the world’
- China building island big enough for airstrip in disputed waters
- Secrets Cracked in Yosemite's Tuolumne Meadows
- Five Guantanamo Bay detainees transferred to Slovakia, Georgia
- Enormous Gorge Shaped by River's Tectonic Transformation
- Deep-Earth Carbon Offers Clues on Origin of Life on Earth
- NOAA: Globe sets 5th hottest-month record of 2014
- Texas OKs most new history textbooks amid outcry
- 'Peeping Tom' Russian hackers streaming stolen webcam scenes
- Erosion may trigger earthquakes
- Plastic bricks could protect Indian homes from monsoon
- Mexico's Volcano of Fire blows huge ash cloud
- Philae lander drilling results reveal Comet 67P surface is hard ice
- Time-lapse photos and synched weather data unlock Antarctic secrets
- People Move Less in Extreme Weather, Jawbone Tracker Finds
- Why Global Warming Could Make That Sap on Your Car Worse
- China's new 'Great Wall' not so great, hurting wetlands, economy
- Best obstacle at Tough Mudder test run is reaching his inner boy
- Extreme Shrimp May Hold Clues to Alien Life
Popular Climate news
No popular news yet
- NASA computer model provides a new portrait of carbon dioxide
- Using science to open way to 'blue economy'
- Livermore scientists show salinity counts when it comes to sea level
- Boosts in productivity of corn and other crops modify Northern Hemisphere carbon dioxide cycle
- Overhaul in tropical forest research needed