Popular Science articles about Earth & Climate
A study, by San Diego Zoo Global conservationists, released this week (Sept. 12, 2016) is shedding new light on how scientists evaluate polar bear diet and weight loss during their fasting season. On average, a polar bear loses up to...
Satellite data from NASA revealed that powerful storms in Super Typhoon Meranti were generating almost a foot or almost 300 millimeters of rainfall per hour. The Global Precipitation Measurement mission...
An international group of biologists is calling for data collection on a global scale to improve forecasts of how climate change affects animals and plants.
Oceanographers from MIT and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution report that the northeast Pacific Ocean has absorbed an increasing amount of anthropogenic carbon dioxide over the last decade, at a rate...
International Union for Conservation for Nature, WWF and International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) examines the results of the work of an IUCN-led independent panel of scientists, which has been...
The low pressure area known as System 94L developed into Tropical Storm Ian on Sept. 14. NOAA's GOES-East satellite data was made into an animation that showed the...
A research team including Professor William Laurance from James Cook University has discovered there has been a catastrophic decline in global wilderness areas during the past 20 years.
After years of environmental destruction, China has spent billions of dollars on the world's largest reforestation program, converting a combined area nearly the size of New York and Pennsylvania back...
Global fisheries stand to lose approximately $10 billion of their annual revenue by 2050 if climate change continues unchecked, and countries that are most dependent on fisheries for food will...
A University of Oklahoma study demonstrates for the first time that remote sensing data from weather surveillance radar and on-the-ground data from the eBird citizen science database both yield robust...
Nutrient pollution emptying into seas from cities, towns and agricultural land is changing the sounds made by marine life - and potentially upsetting navigational cues for fish and other sea...
Newly published research by Indiana University scientists finds that low relative humidity in the atmosphere is a significant, growing and often under-appreciated cause of plant stress in hot, dry weather...
Climate News in Images
- February's Warmth, Brought to You by Climate Change
- Malta's Famous 'Azure Window' Collapses
- Synchrotron sheds (X-ray) light on carbon chemistry at ocean surfaces
- Reusable sponge soaks up oil, could revolutionize spill cleanup
- 'Bugs Bunny,' 'Scooby-Doo' will be available to stream via new Boomerang platform
- Carolina Panthers DE Charles Johnson re-signs, recruits Julius Peppers
- Florida homeowners say cruise ship came within 100 feet of porch
- Dirk Nowitzki hits 30,000 points, leads Dallas Mavericks past Los Angeles Lakers
- Study: California fault could cause magnitude-7.4 quake
- Massive rogue waves aren’t as rare as previously thought
- Flashy first images arrive from NOAA's GOES-16 lightning mapper
- An Aquaponic Vertical Farm Grows in Brooklyn
- Cultivating a City
- US desert songbirds at risk in a warming climate
- Indianapolis installs tiny ramps to save ducklings from drowning
- Bright pink tap water baffles Canadian town
- Avalanche in France's Savoie region kills one; two missing
- China: U.S., North Korea on collision course
- ‘Black swan’ events strike animal populations
- Oklahoma oil, gas tax collections lower year-over-year
- Overhaul planned for refinery in Kirkuk, Iraq
- Watch Sentinel-2B launch
- Lost and Found: Antarctic Balloon Telescope in Good Shape After a Year on the Ice
- EPA scraps methane reporting for oil and gas industries
- Advocates turn focus to Minnesota oil pipeline
- Scarlett Johansson files for divorce from Romain Dauriac
- Sinking of California's San Joaquin Valley Seen from Space
- When it rains, Los Angeles sends billions of gallons of 'free liquid gold' down the drain
- NBA roundup: recap, scores, notes for every game played on March 6
- Australia, Malaysia hope MH370 will be found one day