Popular Science articles about Earth & Climate
Thanks in part to support from NASA and the National Science Foundation, scientists have produced the first-ever detailed maps of bedrock beneath glaciers in Greenland and Antarctica. This new data...
A joint NOAA/NASA satellite is one of several satellites providing valuable information to aviators about volcanic hazards. An aviation "orange" alert was posted on August 18, 2014, for Bárðarbunga, a...
Environmental scientists are being urged to broaden the advice they give on global climate change, say experts who are also frustrated that decision makers are not taking enough action.
As more gardeners and farmers add ground charcoal, or biochar, to soil to both boost crop yields and counter global climate change, a new study by researchers at Rice University...
Concerns that fluids from hydraulic fracturing, or "fracking," are contaminating drinking water abound. Now, scientists are bringing to light another angle that adds to the controversy. A new study, appearing...
Allowing polluters to buy, sell or trade water-quality credits could significantly reduce pollution in river basins and estuaries faster and at lower cost than requiring the facilities to meet compliance...
As a child in southern California, Ryan Rykaczewski spent a fair amount of time on his grandfather's boat, fishing with him off the Pacific coast near Los Angeles. At the...
Ancient, acidic and nutrient-depleted dunes in Western Australia are not an obvious place to answer a question that has vexed tropical biologists for decades. But the Jurien Bay dunes proved...
Land-ice decay at the end of the last five ice-ages caused global sea-levels to rise at rates of up to 5.5 metres per century, according to a new study.
Abundant supplies of natural gas will do little to reduce harmful U.S. emissions causing climate change, according to researchers at UC Irvine, Stanford University, and the nonprofit organization Near Zero....
Earth's soils store four times more carbon than the atmosphere and small changes in soil carbon storage can have a big effect on atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrations. A new paper...
Antarctic fishes that manufacture their own "antifreeze" proteins to survive in the icy Southern Ocean also suffer an unfortunate side effect, researchers report: The protein-bound ice crystals that accumulate inside...
This eruption occurred just before the 1815 Tambora volcanic eruption which is famous for its impact on climate worldwide, with 1816 given memorable names such as 'Eighteen-Hundred-and-Froze-to-Death', the 'Year of...
More than $100 trillion in cumulative public and private spending, and 1,700 megatons of annual carbon dioxide (CO2) -- a 40 percent reduction of urban passenger transport emissions -- could...
Climate News in Images
- Microbes in Central Park soil: If they can make it there, they can make it anywhere
- NASA photos show Aral Sea is now just a sliver
- Democracy protestors standoff against police in Hong Kong
- Rating the planet's oceans
- Pollution linked to lethal sea turtle tumors
- Unexpected new mechanism reveals how molecules become trapped in ice
- Antarctic ice loss responsible for measurable shift in gravity
- The wake-up call that sent hearts racing
- Weather service storm forecasts get more localized
- Florida's Climate Boosts Soil-Carbon Storage, Cuts Greenhouse Emissions
- VIDEO: Volcano erupts in central Japan
- More Waters May Deserve Federal Protection, Study Suggests
- White House intruder ran through much of main floor
- Scientists see bleached coral in northwest Hawaii
- Elk nose into Grand Canyon water stations
- California bans paparazzi drones
- Causes of California drought linked to climate change
- California bans plastic bags
- Tibetan plateau gets wired up for monsoon prediction
- October begins water year with prospect of tighter restrictions
- Feds to unveil cleanup plan for nuke waste dump
- State rests in Michael Dunn case
- Greenland hunting more killer whales as climate changes
- DNA signature found in ice storm babies
- Prehistoric volcanic eruption leaves intercontinental footprint
- The Glaciers Of Mars
- As Wild Horses Overrun the West, Ranchers Fear Land Will Be Gobbled Up
- NASA ocean data shows 'climate dance' of plankton
- October Brings Forecast for More Drought in the West
- Tiger Woods opening restaurant in South Florida
Popular Climate news
- Giant garbage patches help redefine ocean boundaries
- First eyewitness accounts of mystery volcanic eruption
- Dietary recommendations may be tied to increased greenhouse gas emissions
- Like weeds of the sea, 'brown tide' algae exploit nutrient-rich coastlines
- Residual hydraulic fracturing water not a risk to groundwater