Popular Science articles about Earth & Climate
The risk of extreme La Niña events in the Pacific Ocean could double due to global warming, new research has shown.
Dust from soil erosion due to wind can affect human health, traffic, and, on a larger scale, climate. Investigators compared different models that quantify how the wind energy spreads over...
Researchers at Montana State University and Brandenburg University of Applied Sciences in Germany have created a simple mathematical model based on optical measurements that explains the stunning colors of Yellowstone...
Climate change impacts will require major but very uncertain transformations of global agriculture systems by mid-century, according to new research from the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
A new study released today presents powerful evidence that clearing trees not only spews carbon into the atmosphere, but also triggers major shifts in rainfall and increased temperatures worldwide that...
A network of nine reference sites off the Australian coast is providing the latest physical, chemical, and biological information to help scientists better understand Australia's coastal seas, according to a...
A new Duke University-led study finds that most climate models likely underestimate the degree of decade-to-decade variability occurring in mean surface temperatures as Earth's atmosphere warms. The models also provide inconsistent explanations of why this variability occurs...
Researchers at the Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory have developed a population distribution model that provides unprecedented county-level predictions of where people will live in the U.S. in...
Yale-led research may have solved one of the biggest mysteries in geology -- namely, why do tectonic plates beneath the Earth's surface, which normally shift over the course of tens...
Almost half of the processes that are crucial to maintaining the stability of the planet have become dangerously compromised by human activity. That is the view of an international team...
Many of the worst West Coast winter floods pack a double punch. Heavy rains and melting snow wash down the mountains together to breach riverbanks, wash out roads and flood...
The best way to protect wild spinner dolphins in Hawaii while also maintaining the local tourism industry that depends on them is through a combination of federal regulations and community-based...
A team of scientists, led by the University of Toronto's Barbara Sherwood Lollar, has mapped the location of hydrogen-rich waters found trapped kilometres beneath Earth's surface in rock fractures in...
Climate News in Images
- Bike-to-work events offer chance to explore barriers to cycling
- Ballooning offers platform for performing research in a space-like environment
- Satellite study identifies water bodies important for biodiversity conservation
- Nannofossils from El Hierro place the Canaries closer to Hawaii
- Ocean acidification changes balance of biofouling communities
- Fresh Ink: Mummified Iceman Has New Tattoo
- To prevent new environmental disasters, China needs national conservation horizon scanning
- Dot Earth Blog: Blizzard Questions, Including Why a European Weather Model Excels at U.S. Forecasts
- New study helps sort out Easter Island mystery
- NASA scientists send a robot into a volcano
- Obama floats offering first-ever drilling lease in Atlantic
- NASA spots heavy rainfall in Tropical Cyclone Diamondra
- SpaceX Falcon Heavy To Be Reusable, Animation Reveals
- London in bed with shale, advocate says
- Slope on ocean surface lowers sea level in Europe
- Who shoveled snow from the Boston Marathon finish line during the winter storm?
- Early Mesoamericans affected by climate change
- How tropical subsoil microbes could affect the carbon cycle
- Firefighters rescue cows from frozen pond
- 'Knobby terrain' a sign of Mars's explosive past
- FAU's Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute Co-Chairs New Report on 'Ocean Science Over the Next Decade'
- Jordan agrees to prisoner exchange with Islamic State
- 'World can cut carbon emissions and live well'
- Generators that relieve power grid worsen ozone pollution
- Fish catch break on world stage at global conference
- Mexico declares missing university students dead
- Carbon accumulation by Southeastern forests may slow
- Climate change redistributes fish species at high latitudes
- Snow Letdown: How Do Weather Forecasts Go Wrong?
- From Tar Sands to Ring of Fire—forewarning changes to Canada's watersheds
Popular Climate news
No popular news yet
- Two lakes beneath the ice in Greenland, gone within weeks
- Small drop in sea level had big impact on southern Great Barrier Reef
- Researchers introduce macrosystems approach to study stream ecology
- Study shows Brazil's Soy Moratorium still needed to preserve Amazon
- Vegetation can help prevent soil erosion due to wind