Vast Martian glaciers of water ice under protective blankets of rocky debris persist today at much lower latitudes than any ice previously identified on Mars, says new research using ground-penetrating radar on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. The discovery is an encouraging sign for scientists searching for life beyond Earth. The water ice might also provide a useful resource for human explorers visiting the red planet.
- Scientists discover concealed glaciers on Mars at mid-latitudesThu, 20 Nov 2008, 14:37:30 EST
- Extensive water in Mars' interior Thu, 21 Jun 2012, 15:09:53 EDT
- Glaciers help high-latitude mountains grow tallerWed, 15 Sep 2010, 13:37:21 EDT
- Team finds subtropical waters flushing through Greenland fjordTue, 16 Feb 2010, 14:43:31 EST
- Scientists find that debris on certain Himalayan glaciers may prevent meltingMon, 24 Jan 2011, 16:09:24 EST