Astronomers have discovered that the nearby star Epsilon Eridani has two rocky asteroid belts and an outer icy ring, making it a triple-ring system. The inner asteroid belt is a virtual twin of the belt in our solar system, while the outer asteroid belt holds 20 times more material. Moreover, the presence of these three rings of material implies that unseen planets confine and shape them.
- Solar system's young twin has 2 asteroid beltsMon, 27 Oct 2008, 12:00:58 EDT
- Primitive asteroids in the main asteroid belt may have formed far from the sunWed, 15 Jul 2009, 13:38:16 EDT
- Asteroid belts of just the right size are friendly to lifeThu, 1 Nov 2012, 17:34:55 EDT
- Jupiter's youthful travels redefined solar systemMon, 6 Jun 2011, 16:38:11 EDT
- Solar wind tans young asteroidsWed, 22 Apr 2009, 13:45:00 EDT