What did our ancestors look like?
A new method of establishing hair and eye colour from modern forensic samples can also be used to identify details from ancient human remains, finds a new study published in BioMed Central's open access journal Investigative Genetics. The HIrisPlex DNA analysis system was able to reconstruct hair and eye colour from teeth up to 800 years old, including the Polish General Wladyslaw Sikorski (1881 to 1943) confirming his blue eyes and blond hair. A team of researchers from Poland and the Netherlands, who recently developed the HIrisPlex system for forensic analysis, have now shown that this system is sufficiently robust to successfully work on older and more degraded samples from human remains such as teeth and bones. The system looks at 24 DNA polymorphisms (naturally occurring variations) which can be used to predict eye and hair colour.
Dr Wojciech Branicki, from the Institute of Forensic Research and Jagielonian University, Kraków, who led this study together with Prof Manfred Kayser, from the Erasmus University Rotterdam, explained, "This system can be used to solve historical controversies where colour photographs or other records are missing. HIrisPlex was able to confirm that General Wladyslaw Sikorski, who died in a plane crash in 1943, had the blue eyes and blond hair present in portraits painted years after his death. Some of our samples were from unknown inmates of a World War II prison. In these cases HIrisPlex helped to put physical features to the other DNA evidence."
For medieval samples, where DNA is even more degraded, this system was still able to predict eye and hair colour (for the most degraded DNA samples eye colour alone), identifying one mysterious woman buried in the crypt of the Benedictine Abbey in Tyniec near Kraków, sometime during the 12th-14th centuries, as having dark blond/brown hair and brown eyes.
Source: BioMed Central Limited
- DNA can tell ancient human hair, eye colorfrom MSNBC: ScienceMon, 14 Jan 2013, 15:00:43 EST
- What Ancient Humans May Have Looked Like Revealedfrom Live ScienceMon, 14 Jan 2013, 12:30:30 EST
- What did our ancestors look like? Hair and eye color can be determined for ancient human remainsfrom Science DailySun, 13 Jan 2013, 21:00:20 EST
- What did our ancestors look like?from PhysorgSun, 13 Jan 2013, 19:00:28 EST
Latest Science NewsletterGet the latest and most popular science news articles of the week in your Inbox! It's free!
Learn more about
Check out our next project, Biology.Net
From other science news sites
Popular science news articles
- Nano-walkers take speedy leap forward with first rolling DNA-based motor
- Red clover genome to help restore sustainable farming
- Advanced new camera can measure greenhouse gases
- NASA sees Tropical Cyclone Tuni becomes extra-tropical
- Latest major Eastern Pacific hurricane on record headed for landfall in Western Mexico
- Study reveals the architecture of the molecular machine that copies DNA
- Quiet 'epidemic' has killed half a million middle-aged white Americans
- Uncovering the secrets of ice that burns
- Diamonds may not be so rare as once thought
- Sleep interruptions worse for mood than overall reduced amount of sleep, study finds