Logic says it has to be the niche. As air and water preceded life, so the niche, that hospitable environment that shelters adult stem cells in many tissues and provides factors necessary to keep them young and vital, must have emerged before its stem cell dependents.
- Stem cell chicken and egg debate moves to unlikely arena: the testesSun, 20 Jul 2008, 13:21:32 EDT
- First functional stem-cell niche model created by Stanford scientistsWed, 10 Dec 2008, 13:49:50 EST
- Researchers find that one type of stem cell creates a niche for another type in bone marrowThu, 12 Aug 2010, 10:36:41 EDT
- Distinct niches in bone marrow nurture blood stem cellsSun, 24 Feb 2013, 15:04:04 EST
- Leukemia stem cells have more in common with embryonic stem cells than adult stem cellsThu, 5 Feb 2009, 12:45:38 EST