Nearly two-thirds of the oil we use comes from wells drilled using polycrystalline diamond compact (PDC) bits, originally developed nearly 30 years ago to lower the cost of geothermal drilling. Sandia and the U.S. Navy recently brought the technology fullcircle, showing how geothermal drillers might use the original PDC technology, incorporating decades of subsequent improvements by the oil and gas industry.
- Polycrystalline diamond drill bits open up options for geothermal energyMon, 19 Mar 2012, 15:35:33 EDT
- Magma power for geothermal energy?Thu, 17 Feb 2011, 15:04:03 EST
- IODP introduces technology to support deepwater crustal drillingTue, 4 Aug 2009, 9:22:40 EDT
- SMU geothermal mapping project reveals large, green energy source in coal countryTue, 5 Oct 2010, 12:03:06 EDT
- Intelligent use of the Earth's heatFri, 27 Feb 2009, 9:28:48 EST