Scientists are reporting discovery of what may be the "ancestral Eve" crystal that billions of years ago gave life on Earth its curious and exclusive preference for so-called left-handed amino acids. Those building blocks of proteins come in two forms - left- and right-handed - that mirror each other like a pair of hands. Their study, which may help resolve one of the most perplexing mysteries about the origin of life, is in ACS' Crystal Growth & Design.
- 'Ancestral Eve' crystal may explain origin of life's left-handednessWed, 21 Apr 2010, 13:21:20 EDT
- NASA and university researchers find a clue to how life turned leftWed, 25 Jul 2012, 13:37:15 EDT
- Right-handed and left-handed people do not see the same bright side of thingsThu, 28 Jan 2010, 11:28:51 EST
- Scientists give a hand(edness) to the search for alien lifeThu, 23 Apr 2009, 10:30:49 EDT
- Study builds on plausible scenario for origin of life on EarthTue, 9 Aug 2011, 16:40:38 EDT