'Ancestral Eve' crystal may explain origin of life's left-handedness
Scientists are reporting discovery of what may be the "ancestral Eve" crystal that billions of years ago gave life on Earth its curious and exclusive preference for so-called left-handed amino acids. Those building blocks of proteins come in two forms — left- and right-handed — that mirror each other like a pair of hands. Their study, which may help resolve one of the most perplexing mysteries about the origin of life, is in ACS' Crystal Growth & Design, a bi-monthly journal. Tu Lee and Yu Kun Lin point out that conditions on the primordial Earth held an equal chance of forming the same amounts of left-handed and right-handed amino acids. Nevertheless, when the first forms of life emerged more than 3 billion years ago, all the amino acids in the proteins had the left-handed configuration. That pattern continued right up to modern plants and animals.
The scientists used mixtures of both left- and right-handed aspartic acid (an amino acid) in laboratory experiments to see how temperature and other conditions affected formation of crystals of the material. They found that under conditions that could have existed on primitive Earth, left-handed aspartic acid crystals could have formed easily and on a large scale. "The aspartic acid crystal would then truly become a single mother crystal: an ancestral Eve for the whole left-handed population," the article notes.
Source: American Chemical Society
- NASA and university researchers find a clue to how life turned leftWed, 25 Jul 2012, 13:37:15 EDT
- Right-handed and left-handed people do not see the same bright side of thingsThu, 28 Jan 2010, 11:28:51 EST
- Right-handers, but not left-handers, are biased to select their dominant handTue, 8 Mar 2011, 23:42:34 EST
- Right-handers, but not left-handers, are biased to select their dominant handTue, 8 Mar 2011, 12:06:12 EST
- Mirror, mirror: Scientists find cause of involuntary movementsThu, 29 Apr 2010, 14:55:18 EDT
- Ancestral Eve Crystal Gave Life Its Left-Handednessfrom Scientific BloggingWed, 21 Apr 2010, 14:20:27 EDT
- 'Ancestral Eve' crystal may explain origin of life's left-handednessfrom Science DailyWed, 21 Apr 2010, 13:30:33 EDT
- 'Ancestral Eve' crystal may explain origin of life's left-handednessfrom PhysorgWed, 21 Apr 2010, 13:04:11 EDT
Latest Science NewsletterGet the latest and most popular science news articles of the week in your Inbox! It's free!
Check out our next project, Biology.Net
From other science news sites
Popular science news articles
No popular news yet
No popular news yet
- Stem cell transplant restores memory, learning in mice
- 2 landmark studies report on success of using image-guided brachytherapy to treat cervical cancer
- Researchers discover mushrooms can provide as much vitamin D as supplements
- Cutting back on sleep harms blood vessel function and breathing control
- Study: Low-dose aspirin stymies proliferation of 2 breast cancer lines