Listen up: Ocean acidification poses little threat to whales' hearing
Contrary to some previous, highly publicized, reports, ocean acidification is not likely to worsen the hearing of whales and other animals, according to a Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) scientist who studies sound propagation in the ocean. Tim Duda, of WHOI's Applied Ocean Physics & Engineering Department, undertook a study in response to warnings that as the ocean becomes more acidic—due to elevated levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2)--noise from ships will be able to travel farther and possibly interfere with whales and other animals that rely on sound to navigate, communicate, and hunt.
Duda and WHOI scientists Ilya Udovydchenkov, Scott Doney, and Ivan Lima, along with colleagues at the Naval Postgraduate School, designed mathematical models of sound propagation in the oceans. Their models found that the increase would be, at most, 2 decibels by the year 2100—a negligible change compared with noise from natural events such as storms and large waves. Noise levels are predicted to change even less than this in higher-noise areas near sources such as shipping lanes, Duda said.
- Study assesses nations' vulnerabilities to reduced mollusk harvests from ocean acidificationTue, 2 Aug 2011, 16:35:02 EDT
- Whale racket: Sounding out how loud the oceans were from whale vocalizing prior to industrial whalingTue, 23 Oct 2012, 14:05:35 EDT
- Ocean acidification leaves clownfish deaf to predatorsWed, 1 Jun 2011, 3:32:19 EDT
- Ecosystems under threat from ocean acidificationSun, 28 Mar 2010, 19:24:34 EDT
- In CO2-rich environment, some ocean dwellers increase shell productionTue, 1 Dec 2009, 16:57:05 EST
- Listen up: Ocean acidification poses little threat to whales' hearingfrom Science CentricWed, 13 Oct 2010, 11:40:24 EDT
- Ocean acidification poses little threat to whales’ hearing, study suggestsfrom Science DailyTue, 12 Oct 2010, 22:40:45 EDT
- Ocean acidification poses little threat to whales' hearing: studyfrom PhysorgTue, 12 Oct 2010, 10:31:30 EDT
- Listen Up: Ocean Acidification Poses Little Threat to Whales' Hearingfrom Newswise - ScinewsMon, 11 Oct 2010, 16:30:39 EDT