Alcohol can worsen the effects of disease. New research shows that alcohol modulates the anti-viral and inflammatory functions of monocytes. Prolonged alcohol consumption has a double negative effect of reducing the anti-viral effect of Type 1 interferon (IFN) whilst increasing inflammation via the pro-inflammatory cytokine TNF±. Consequently this may impair host response to single-stranded virus infection like hepatitis C.
- Alcohol impairs the body's ability to fight off viral infectionFri, 30 Sep 2011, 6:36:04 EDT
- Even low alcohol consumption has a negative impact on overall healthFri, 23 Oct 2009, 0:44:17 EDT
- Alcohol increases reaction time and errors during decision makingTue, 19 Oct 2010, 16:36:16 EDT
- If you are impulsive, take modafinil and count to 10Fri, 1 Feb 2013, 13:53:37 EST
- Scripps research study underlines potential of anti-stress peptide to block alcohol dependenceFri, 9 Dec 2011, 17:33:44 EST