Researchers have studied the massive online virtual world Second Life to test whether or not certain social theories are true. Having access to huge amounts of data gave them a way to answer how networks are created. Searching through anonymized data from Teen Grid, where only teenage players can socialize, the researchers found that teens' online friendships were disproportionately with people in their immediate geographic area -- likely with people they already knew.
- Tracking the digital traces of social networksSat, 14 Feb 2009, 2:31:11 EST
- Surprising results: Virtual games players stick close to homeSat, 14 Feb 2009, 10:29:19 EST
- Challenging HIV through social networkingMon, 6 Dec 2010, 11:23:07 EST
- Build your online networks using social annotationsWed, 16 Feb 2011, 11:05:34 EST
- Teens frequently mention risky behaviors on social networking sitesMon, 5 Jan 2009, 16:22:18 EST