Algal blooms can considerably interfere with summer holidays by the sea. In the coastal zone of temperate regions a spring algal bloom is not a sign of excessive nutrient input, but most of all a consequence of the more intense solar irradiation in spring. When algal blooms end, the algae die and their remnants constitute an important nutrient supply for the whole ecosystem.
- Nutrient supply after algal bloom determines the succession of the bacterial populationFri, 4 May 2012, 12:35:34 EDT
- International experts weigh-in on harmful algal bloomsTue, 6 Jan 2009, 16:56:31 EST
- A thirst for blood sparks toxic algal bloomsTue, 30 Jun 2009, 9:14:32 EDT
- Brown tide culprit sequenced: Genome of the first of algal bloom speciesMon, 21 Feb 2011, 15:32:54 EST
- Algal blooms hit the poor of India hardTue, 1 Jun 2010, 9:56:37 EDT