Sometimes it's hard to tell friends from foes, biologically speaking. Naturally produced in the body, urokinase plasminogen activator and plasminogen interact to break up blood clots and recruit clean-up cells to clear away debris related to inflammation. In fact, urokinase manufactured as a drug effectively clears clogged arteries by generating clot-busting plasmin from blood-derived plasminogen.
- Friend or foe? How the body's clot-busting system speeds up atherosclerosisThu, 30 Oct 2008, 15:22:01 EDT
- Blocking toxic effects could make clot-buster saferFri, 23 Jan 2009, 10:30:22 EST
- Brain may use clot-busting drug naturally as protection against strokeWed, 5 May 2010, 14:25:27 EDT
- 'Clot-busters' no more effective than traditional therapy in treating lung blood clots Mon, 16 May 2011, 18:35:16 EDT
- Most stroke patients don't get clot-busting treatment in timely manner, study findsFri, 11 Feb 2011, 9:33:02 EST