Mayo Clinic identifies promising treatment for inherited form of kidney disease
A drug therapy shows promise for treating an inherited form of kidney disease called autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD), Mayo Clinic researchers say. The medication, tolvaptan, slowed the pace of kidney cyst growth over the three years of the study. The phase three clinical trial results were being presented November 3 at the American Society of Nephrology annual meeting and published online in the New England Journal of Medicine.
The multicenter study found tolvaptan demonstrated a nearly 50 percent reduction in the rate of increase in total kidney volume (a measurement of kidney cyst growth) in ADPKD patients over the study period, compared to placebo.
"ADPKD is the most common inherited and the fourth most common overall cause of kidney failure worldwide," says lead author Vicente Torres, M.D., Ph.D., Mayo Clinic nephrologist.
"In most patients with this disease, relentless cyst growth within the kidneys destroys the tissue, causes hypertension and painful complications, and negatively impacts the quality of life," Dr. Torres says. "The results of this study reveal a potential treatment that blunts kidney growth, lessens associated symptoms and slows kidney function decline when given over three years."
While the trial findings are encouraging, tolvaptan has not yet been approved for this indication, Dr. Torres notes.
The study was funded by Otsuka Pharmaceuticals.
Source: Mayo Clinic
- Promising treatment for inherited form of kidney diseasefrom Science DailySun, 4 Nov 2012, 20:04:41 EST
- Advancing understanding of treatment through clinical trialsfrom Science DailySun, 4 Nov 2012, 20:02:02 EST
- Mayo Clinic Identifies Promising Treatment for Inherited Form of Kidney Diseasefrom Newswise - ScinewsSat, 3 Nov 2012, 23:30:53 EDT
- Stereotactic radiosurgery shows promise for kidney cancerfrom Science DailyThu, 1 Nov 2012, 11:30:42 EDT
Latest Science NewsletterGet the latest and most popular science news articles of the week in your Inbox! It's free!
Learn more about
Check out our next project, Biology.Net
From other science news sites
Popular science news articles
No popular news yet
- Eggshell porosity can be used to infer the type of nest built by extinct archosaurs
- NASA study suggests carbon content of temperate forests overestimated
- Iowa State astronomers say comet fragments best explanation of mysterious dimming star
- Satellite video shows Hurricane Sandra moving north along Mexico's west coast
- Aging star's weight loss secret revealed
- Annual Antarctic ozone hole larger and formed later in 2015
- Study reveals the architecture of the molecular machine that copies DNA
- NASA study: Mass gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet greater than losses
- Quiet 'epidemic' has killed half a million middle-aged white Americans
- New class of DNA repair enzyme discovered