Some color shades offer better protection against sun’s ultraviolet rays
Economy-minded consumers who want protection from the sun's harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays — but rather not pay premium prices for sun-protective clothing — should think blue and red, rather than yellow. Scientists in Spain are reporting that the same cotton fabric dyed deep blue or red provide greater UV protection than shades of yellow. Their study, which could lead to fabrics with better sun protection, is scheduled for the Nov. 4 issue of ACS' Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, a bi-weekly journal. Ascensión Riva and colleagues explain that the color of a fabric is one of the most important factors in determining how well clothing protects against UV radiation. Gaps, however, exist in scientific knowledge about exactly how color interacts with other factors to influence a fabric's ability to block ultraviolet protection factor (UPF).
The scientists describe use of computer models that relate the level of UV protection achieved with three fabric dyes to their effects in changing the UPF of fabrics and other factors. In doing so, they dyed cotton fabrics in a wide range of red, blue, and yellow shades and measured the ability of each colored sample to absorb UV light. Fabrics with darker or more intense colors tended to have better UV absorption. Deep blue shades offered the highest absorption, while yellow shades offered the least. Clothing manufacturers could use information from this study to better design sun-protective clothing, the scientists indicate.
Source: American Chemical Society
- A honey of a natural sunblock for UV-protective clothing: Honeysuckle extractWed, 1 Jun 2011, 17:34:54 EDT
- X-rays show why van Gogh paintings lose their shineMon, 14 Feb 2011, 14:32:50 EST
- Ultraviolet radiation not culprit killing amphibians, research showsMon, 24 May 2010, 11:36:00 EDT
- Technology protects cotton from caterpillar's appetiteTue, 1 Feb 2011, 13:10:23 EST
- Was Kepler's supernova unusually powerful?Tue, 11 Sep 2012, 14:05:27 EDT
- Some Color Shades Offer Better Protection Against Sun’s Ultraviolet Raysfrom Science DailyThu, 15 Oct 2009, 13:35:09 EDT
- Some colour shades offer better protection against sun's ultraviolet raysfrom Science CentricThu, 15 Oct 2009, 5:21:21 EDT
- Some color shades offer better protection against sun`s ultraviolet raysfrom PhysorgWed, 14 Oct 2009, 14:56:35 EDT
Latest Science NewsletterGet the latest and most popular science news articles of the week in your Inbox! It's free!
Learn more about
Check out our next project, Biology.Net
From other science news sites
Popular science news articles
No popular news yet
No popular news yet
- Stem cell transplant restores memory, learning in mice
- Superstorm Sandy shook the US
- 2 landmark studies report on success of using image-guided brachytherapy to treat cervical cancer
- Calculating tsunami risk for the US East Coast
- Researchers discover mushrooms can provide as much vitamin D as supplements