Mother's vitamin D status during pregnancy will affect her baby's dental health
Low maternal vitamin D levels during pregnancy may affect primary tooth calcification, leading to enamel defects, which are a risk factor for early-childhood tooth decay. Today, during the 86th General Session of the International Association for Dental Research, investigators from the University of Manitoba (Winnipeg and Victoria) present the results of a study they conducted to determine the vitamin D status of pregnant women, the incidence of enamel defects and early-childhood tooth decay among their infants, and the relationship with pre-natal vitamin D levels. Two hundred six pregnant women in their second trimester participated in the study. Only 21 women (10.5%) were found to have adequate vitamin D levels. Vitamin D concentrations were related to the frequency of milk consumption and pre-natal vitamin use. The investigators examined 135 infants (55.6% male) at 16.1 ± 7.4 months of age, and found that 21.6% of them had enamel defects, while 33.6% had early-childhood tooth decay. Mothers of children with enamel defects had lower, but not significantly different, mean vitamin D concentrations during pregnancy than those of children without defects.
However, mothers of children with early-childhood tooth decay had significantly lower vitamin D levels than those whose children were cavity-free. Infants with enamel defects were significantly more likely to have early-childhood tooth decay.
This is the first study to show that maternal vitamin D levels may have an influence on primary teeth and the development of early-childhood tooth decay.
- Mother's Vitamin D Status During Pregnancy Will Affect Her Baby's Dental Healthfrom Science DailyFri, 4 Jul 2008, 16:35:13 EDT
- Mother's vitamin D status during pregnancy will affect her baby's dental healthfrom PhysorgFri, 4 Jul 2008, 10:56:26 EDT
Latest Science NewsletterGet the latest and most popular science news articles of the week in your Inbox! It's free!
Check out our next project, Biology.Net
From other science news sites
Popular science news articles
- Genomic info may help researchers fathom bedbug insecticide resistance
- Hepatitis virus-like particles as potential cancer treatment
- Lithium battery catalyst found to harm key soil microorganism
- Turbulent times: When stars approach
- New tarantula named after Johnny Cash among 14 spider species found in the United States
- Genome of the flowering plant that returned to the sea
- Researchers' preclinical trial upends conventional wisdom about responses to fear
- Reconfigurable origami tubes could find antenna, microfluidic uses
- Scientists build a neural network using plastic memristors
- How 'more food per field' could help save our wild spaces