Researchers have identified two genes associated with binge drinking that may open doors to new, more effective treatments for excessive alcohol drinking. The scientists found that manipulating two receptors in the brain, GABA receptors and toll-like receptor 4, "caused profound reduction" of binge drinking for two weeks in rodents that had been bred and trained to drink excessively.
- University of Maryland School of Medicine study identifies genes associated with binge drinkingMon, 28 Feb 2011, 15:34:38 EST
- Binge drinking college students are happier than their non-binge drinking peersMon, 20 Aug 2012, 10:03:14 EDT
- Binge drinkers let down guard against infectionThu, 17 Sep 2009, 19:51:17 EDT
- Daily alcohol intake can lead to binge drinkingThu, 28 May 2009, 21:33:09 EDT
- Drinking in excess associated with increased risk for metabolic syndromeWed, 30 Jul 2008, 8:21:43 EDT