It's not always easy spotting the cuckoo in the nest. But if you don't, you pay a high price raising someone else's chick. How hosts distinguish impostor eggs from their own has long puzzled scientists. The problem remained largely unsolved while looking at it through our own eyes. It was only when people started thinking from the birds' perspective that they began to understand how hosts recognise a cuckoo egg in the nest.
- How birds spot the cuckoo in the nestTue, 15 Jul 2008, 9:08:40 EDT
- Birds use social learning to enhance nest defenseThu, 4 Jun 2009, 14:37:26 EDT
- Birds' strategic mobbing fends off parasitic invadersThu, 29 Jan 2009, 13:57:40 EST
- Scientists get bird's-eye view of how cuckoos fool their hostsMon, 26 Apr 2010, 15:51:36 EDT
- Researchers crack cuckoo egg mysteryWed, 22 Sep 2010, 10:50:44 EDT