When HIV was discovered as the causative agent of AIDS in 1984 (and has since been repeatedly proven, despite denialists claims - see Ben's post) scientists were relieved: "It's a virus! Phew, viruses are something we can deal with. Alright, somebody go cook up a vaccine: problem solved". According to wikipedia, senior figures in the US health system claimed that a vaccine would be ready in as little as two years. 25 years later HIV is getting the better of us like no other disease, and the vaccine front has seen failure after failure. Continue reading for a brief analysis of the latest HIV vaccine study: even better continue reading at Blue-Genes.net where this post was born and bred.
- HIV vaccine failure probably caused by virus used, says new researchMon, 16 Nov 2009, 15:32:19 EST
- A flu vaccine that lastsMon, 6 Dec 2010, 16:32:32 EST
- Hopkins-led team solves failed vaccine mysteryMon, 15 Dec 2008, 15:49:54 EST
- India continues to progress in AIDS vaccine development effortsMon, 18 Aug 2008, 0:22:02 EDT
- Flu vaccine may not protect seniors wellFri, 1 Aug 2008, 4:56:54 EDT