Asteroid Mining Not an image from Planetary Resources, just a stock photo we happen to have of asteroid mining. Kevin Hand Planetary Resources, a mysterious organization whose investors include Google execs Larry Page and Eric Schmidt, Microsoft alum and astronaut Charles Simonyi, director James Cameron, "space visionary" Peter Diamandis, and Ross Perot, Jr., is planning to announce more details of the project this coming Tuesday. We'll be covering it, so we thought we'd give you a heads-up. It has something to do with space resources and exploration--its LinkedIn page says it "develops technologies and systems to enable low-cost commercial robotic exploration of the solar system," and cofounder Peter Diamandis has hinted at asteroid mining--but we don't know much more than that at the moment. Check in here on Tuesday (and, I mean, on Monday too, for other things) for the reveal.
- Solar wind tans young asteroidsWed, 22 Apr 2009, 13:45:00 EDT
- Asteroid monitored from outer space to ground impactWed, 25 Mar 2009, 17:17:11 EDT
- Rendezvous with an asteroidThu, 26 May 2011, 14:40:24 EDT
- Jupiter's youthful travels redefined solar systemMon, 6 Jun 2011, 16:38:11 EDT
- Study puts solar spin on asteroid moon formationWed, 9 Jul 2008, 13:35:53 EDT