As astronomers continue to discover more exoplanets, the focus has slowly shifted from what sizes such planets are, to what theyre made of. First attempts have been made at determining atmospheric composition but one of the most desirable finds wouldnt be the gasses in the atmosphere, but the detection of liquid water which is a key ingredient for the formation of life as we know it. While this is a monumental challenge, various methods have been proposed, but a new study suggests that these methods may be overly optimistic.
- Astronomers find world with thick, inhospitable atmosphere and an icy heartWed, 16 Dec 2009, 13:39:02 EST
- New method of finding planets scores its first discoveryMon, 13 May 2013, 16:04:47 EDT
- VLT detects first superstorm on exoplanetWed, 23 Jun 2010, 13:33:36 EDT
- Lightest exoplanet yet discoveredTue, 21 Apr 2009, 9:57:21 EDT
- Astronomers detect first carbon-rich exoplanetWed, 8 Dec 2010, 13:36:53 EST