Avocado, a significant fruit crop grown in many tropical and subtropical parts of the world, is threatened by Phytophthora root rot (PRR), a disease that has already eliminated commercial avocado production in many areas in Latin America and crippled production in Australia and South Africa. Just in California the disease is estimated to cost avocado growers approximately $30-40 million a year in production losses.
- UC Riverside entomologist helps manage invasion threats posed to California's avocadosTue, 22 Jun 2010, 18:38:14 EDT
- Holy guacamole: invasive beetle threatens Florida's avocadosWed, 4 Feb 2009, 12:07:43 EST
- Beetle-fungus disease threatens crops and landscape trees in Southern CaliforniaTue, 8 May 2012, 15:34:07 EDT
- Invaders could devastate Florida avocado industryTue, 21 Sep 2010, 11:17:14 EDT
- Warming climate threatens California fruit and nut productionWed, 22 Jul 2009, 5:33:22 EDT