On warm days, the beach seems an ideal destination for family rest and relaxation. Who hasn't built a sand castle or been buried up to the neck in sand? However, that family fun has a dark side -- sand can harbor illness-causing microbes. Unfortunately, there are no guidelines for sand quality at recreational sites.
- New insights into when beach sand may become unsafe for digging and other contactWed, 11 Apr 2012, 13:37:15 EDT
- What science says about beach sand and stomach achesTue, 11 Aug 2009, 9:51:46 EDT
- Saving sand: South Carolina beaches become a model for preservationFri, 23 Oct 2009, 15:00:45 EDT
- Fecal microorganisms inhabit sandy beaches of FloridaTue, 13 May 2008, 10:39:13 EDT
- 'Super sand' for better purification of drinking waterWed, 22 Jun 2011, 16:35:34 EDT