The Philadelphia Phillies, St. Louis Cardinals and Arizona Diamondbacks should win their divisions, while the Atlanta Braves and the Cincinnati Reds will make it to Major League Baseball's post-season as wild card teams in the National League (NL) in 2012, according to NJIT's baseball guru Bruce Bukiet. The San Francisco Giants, Milwaukee Brewers and Florida Marlins could be close on the heels of the Reds and Braves but should miss out on the post-season by 3 or 4 wins. For more than a decade, Bukiet, an associate professor and associate dean, has applied mathematical analysis to compute the number of regular season games each Major League Baseball team should win. Though his expertise is in mathematical modeling, rather than baseball, his projections have compared well with those of so-called experts over the years.
- NJIT mathematician publishes 2012 Major League Baseball projectionsThu, 29 Mar 2012, 14:38:22 EDT
- NJIT mathematician publishes 2013 Major League Baseball projectionsFri, 29 Mar 2013, 21:02:32 EDT
- NJIT baseball guru says Yankees, Dodgers should make World SeriesWed, 14 Oct 2009, 13:50:08 EDT
- NJIT professor uses math analytics to project 2011 Major League Baseball winners Thu, 31 Mar 2011, 18:35:36 EDT
- NJIT prof names baseball winnersTue, 9 Mar 2010, 11:37:30 EST