Among the many intriguing aspects of the deep sea, Earth's largest ecosystem, exist environments known as hydrothermal vent systems where hot water surges out from the seafloor. On the flipside the deep sea also features cold areas where methane rises from "seeps" on the ocean bottom.
- Scientists break record by finding northernmost hydrothermal vent fieldThu, 24 Jul 2008, 14:36:40 EDT
- Great Lake's sinkholes host exotic ecosystemsTue, 24 Feb 2009, 17:50:55 EST
- Expedition to Mid-Cayman Rise identifies unusual variety of deep sea ventsTue, 20 Jul 2010, 17:23:05 EDT
- More deep-sea vents discoveredMon, 14 Feb 2011, 11:06:11 EST
- Eddies found to be deep, powerful modes of ocean transportThu, 28 Apr 2011, 14:35:19 EDT