Scientists at Northwestern University report a surprising discovery that offers a possible new route for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases. In a study of the transparent roundworm C. elegans, they found that a genetic switch in master neurons inhibits the proper functioning of protective cell stress responses, leading to the accumulation of misfolded and damaged proteins.
- Protecting cellsWed, 24 Aug 2011, 15:34:52 EDT
- Protein protects neurons in brain from damage due to inflammationThu, 2 Apr 2009, 13:09:15 EDT
- Over-abundant protein prompts neurodegenerative cascadeTue, 15 Jun 2010, 17:24:14 EDT
- Neurodegeneration 'clumping proteins' common in aging processTue, 10 Aug 2010, 17:42:51 EDT
- Synergistic interaction enhances pathogenesis of Parkinson's diseaseWed, 23 Dec 2009, 12:24:38 EST