There is no practical, economic way to build structures that could stand up to the savagery of EF5 tornadoes like those that ripped through the South in late April, experts say, but damage from lesser storms could be reduced by better building practices and better enforcement of existing codes.
- Massive tornado onslaught raises questions about building practices, code enforcementFri, 13 May 2011, 21:01:49 EDT
- NJIT professor tells architects building practices to withstand hurricanesMon, 7 Jun 2010, 18:05:51 EDT
- NJIT expert advises on the do and don't of building in hurricane-prone areasMon, 15 Jun 2009, 14:50:40 EDT
- Increase in tornado, hurricane damage brings call for more stringent building standardsMon, 8 Aug 2011, 13:35:43 EDT
- Double jeopardy: Building codes may underestimate risks due to multiple hazardsTue, 13 Sep 2011, 20:35:14 EDT