Creating catalysts that can operate efficiently and last a long time is a big barrier to taking fuel-cell technology from the lab bench to the assembly line. The precious metal platinum has been the choice for many researchers, but platinum has two major downsides: It is expensive, and it breaks down over time in fuel-cell reactions.
- Brown chemists report promising advance in fuel-cell technologyMon, 24 May 2010, 17:11:11 EDT
- Breakthrough in designing cheaper, more efficient catalysts for fuel cellsThu, 23 Feb 2012, 16:34:20 EST
- For platinum catalysts, smaller may be betterMon, 28 Jun 2010, 13:16:34 EDT
- New fuel cell catalyst uses 2 metalsThu, 14 May 2009, 14:37:25 EDT
- Hydrogen fuel tech gets boost from low-cost, efficient catalystMon, 2 May 2011, 11:21:55 EDT