About 550 light-years from Earth, a star like our Sun is writhing in its death throes. Chi Cygni has swollen in size to become a red giant star so large that it would swallow every planet out to Mars in our solar system. Moreover, it has begun to pulse dramatically in and out, beating like a giant heart. New close-up photos of the surface of this distant star show its throbbing motions in unprecedented detail.
- Close-up photos of dying star show our sun's fateTue, 15 Dec 2009, 12:18:34 EST
- Scientists discover new planet orbiting dangerously close to giant starTue, 18 Nov 2008, 14:52:25 EST
- Exoplanet caught on the moveThu, 10 Jun 2010, 16:11:54 EDT
- Lost in space: Rogue planet spotted?Wed, 14 Nov 2012, 9:05:53 EST
- A look into the hellish cradles of suns and solar systemsWed, 19 Aug 2009, 10:10:38 EDT