The Giant Magellan Telescope (GMT) Corporation is pleased to announce that nine astronomical research organizations from three continents have signed the Founders' Agreement to construct and operate the 25-meter Giant Magellan Telescope at Las Campanas Observatory in the Andes Mountains of Chile. In the United States the participating institutions are the Carnegie Institution for Science, Harvard University, the Smithsonian Institution, Texas A& M University, the University of Arizona, and the University of Texas at Austin. The two Australian members of the Founders group are the Australian National University and Astronomy Australia Limited. Most recently, the South Korean government has approved participation in the GMT project, with the Korean Astronomy and Space Science Institute as the representative of the Korean astronomical community.
- Astronomers discover link between supermassive black holes and galaxy formationMon, 2 Feb 2009, 17:07:42 EST
- Astronomers discover new type of pulsating white dwarf starThu, 1 May 2008, 11:56:11 EDT
- Merging galaxies create a binary quasarWed, 3 Feb 2010, 13:43:56 EST
- Looking through Galileo's eyesFri, 9 Jan 2009, 3:28:44 EST
- Taken under the 'wing' of the small magellanic cloudWed, 3 Apr 2013, 11:33:49 EDT