Australian Department of Defence is currently culling hundreds of kangaroos on the outskirts of the capital Canberra that have produced heated discussions and hit international headlines. Australia's iconic animal has multiplied so much over recent years that Canberra now has three times as many kangaroos as inhabitants. The situation is particularly critical at two enclosed military sites on the outskirts of the city, which form an ideal refuge for the eastern grey kangaroo (Macropus giganteus).
- Plague of kangaroos threatens one of Australia's last remaining original native grasslandsWed, 21 May 2008, 12:29:26 EDT
- Global warming threatens Australia's iconic kangaroosWed, 15 Oct 2008, 11:35:48 EDT
- The first kangaroo genome sequenceFri, 19 Aug 2011, 3:32:16 EDT
- Australian first: Kangaroo genome mappedTue, 18 Nov 2008, 9:01:24 EST
- Mother kangaroos at higher health riskWed, 6 Jul 2011, 3:34:05 EDT