Since falling to a low of 100 in 1999, the Catalina Island fox has rebounded to a number — 1,542 — above its previous level, thanks to conservationists' efforts.Reporting from Avalon, Santa Catalina Island -- The Catalina Island fox has made one of the most remarkable recoveries known for an endangered species, rebounding in just 13 years from near extinction brought on by a distemper epidemic, wildlife biologists announced Wednesday.
- New scorpion discovery near metropolitan Tucson, ArizonaTue, 19 Feb 2013, 22:03:43 EST
- Digging up evidence of 400-year-old global trade and wealthThu, 9 Apr 2009, 13:42:42 EDT
- Study of islands reveals surprising extinction resultsTue, 26 Aug 2008, 17:36:05 EDT
- Too hot, too cold, just right: Testing the limits of where humans can liveSun, 20 Feb 2011, 15:33:50 EST
- 'Magical thinking' about islands is an illusionThu, 8 Jul 2010, 13:43:31 EDT