The political hurdle could be high for a Delta doctor looking for low-cost rural healthcare solutions in an unlikely place: Iran. Dr. Aaron Shirley has devoted his career to serving the rural poor in the Mississippi Delta, but now the 77-year-old pediatrician believes the key to reducing the nation's highest infant mortality rates lies in a surprising place: the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Low socioeconomic Mississippi Delta children willing to try fruits and veggies, but few availableSun, 19 Apr 2009, 13:50:05 EDT
- Cuts to Mississippi levees could build new land in sinking deltaTue, 20 Oct 2009, 17:36:04 EDT
- Scientists find slow subsidence of Earth's crust beneath the Mississippi deltaMon, 2 Apr 2012, 15:34:38 EDT
- Gulf oil spill: Mississippi River hydrology may help reduce oil onshoreThu, 17 Jun 2010, 12:11:27 EDT
- A Mississippi river diversion helped build Louisiana wetlands, Penn geologists findSun, 21 Oct 2012, 15:42:28 EDT