A new emergency review tool to help research ethics review during public health emergencies
A new emergency review tool will help research ethics boards and institutions to expedite research while respecting the procedures of ethics reviews, states an article in CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal) (pre-embargo link only) http://www.cmaj.ca/embargo/cmaj090976.pdf. Pandemic (H1N1) 2009, which focused international attention on emergency preparedness for public health threats, highlighted the need for timely research. However, there are challenges to combining speed and flexibility with intense scrutiny in conventional research ethics reviews. The World Health Organization (WHO) recently held a special technical consultation on research ethics in infectious disease outbreaks following international requests for guidance from research ethics committees.
"We propose a new framework to guide departures from normal research ethics review during emergencies," writes Catherine Tansey, University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, with her coauthors. "It will be a combination of increased diligence with enhanced procedural flexibility in proportion to risks and circumstances."
The authors conclude that the emergency review may also be a useful model to improve procedures in research ethics review.
- Ethics review of research in the context of humanitarian relief workTue, 28 Jul 2009, 6:36:53 EDT
- Mayo Clinic review of ethical decision making with end-of-life careFri, 1 Oct 2010, 13:57:20 EDT
- Synthetic Biology: funders move to address social and ethical challengesSun, 8 Jun 2008, 22:21:28 EDT
- Will genomics help prevent the next pandemic?Mon, 26 Oct 2009, 15:09:42 EDT
- Ethical evaluations of nanotechnologyTue, 27 Jan 2009, 12:08:55 EST
- A new emergency review tool to help research ethics review during public health emergenciesfrom Science CentricTue, 8 Jun 2010, 11:01:45 EDT
- A new emergency review tool to help research ethics review during public health emergenciesfrom PhysorgMon, 7 Jun 2010, 13:31:50 EDT
Latest Science NewsletterGet the latest and most popular science news articles of the week in your Inbox! It's free!
Learn more about
Check out our next project, Biology.Net
From other science news sites
Popular science news articles
No popular news yet
No popular news yet
- Stem cell transplant restores memory, learning in mice
- 2 landmark studies report on success of using image-guided brachytherapy to treat cervical cancer
- Calculating tsunami risk for the US East Coast
- Researchers discover mushrooms can provide as much vitamin D as supplements
- Cutting back on sleep harms blood vessel function and breathing control