While some galaxies are rotund and others are slender disks like our spiral Milky Way, new observations from NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope show that the Sombrero galaxy is both. The galaxy, which is a round elliptical galaxy with a thin disk embedded inside, is one of the first known to exhibit characteristics of the two different types. The findings will lead to a better understanding of galaxy evolution, a topic still poorly understood.
- Split-personality elliptical galaxy holds a hidden spiralMon, 22 Oct 2012, 13:34:51 EDT
- New insights on how spiral galaxies get their armsTue, 2 Apr 2013, 13:37:41 EDT
- Exceptionally deep view of strange galaxyThu, 5 Feb 2009, 10:26:04 EST
- Forming the present-day spiral galaxiesThu, 4 Feb 2010, 11:24:40 EST
- 4 unusual views of the Andromeda GalaxyThu, 21 Jul 2011, 6:08:06 EDT