The drug rapamycin extends lifespan in lab animals, yet it's linked to two hallmarks of diabetes. By teasing apart its activity, researchers have determined that inhibiting only the protein cluster known as mTORC1 prolongs life in mice without adversely affecting glucose tolerance or insulin sensitivity.
- Duality of longevity drug explainedThu, 29 Mar 2012, 16:37:52 EDT
- Knocking out key protein in mice boosts insulin sensitivity Thu, 10 Nov 2011, 20:35:27 EST
- Easter Island compound extends lifespan of old miceWed, 8 Jul 2009, 13:24:18 EDT
- Protein critical for insulin secretion may be contributor to diabetesMon, 26 Oct 2009, 15:09:46 EDT
- Salk scientists detect molecular obesity link to insulin resistance, type II diabetesTue, 3 Mar 2009, 12:23:25 EST