It turns out you can be too thin -- especially if you're a nanoscale battery. Researchers have built a series of nanowire batteries to demonstrate that the thickness of the electrolyte layer can dramatically affect the performance of the battery, effectively setting a lower limit to the size of the tiny power sources.
- Nanopower: Avoiding electrolyte failure in nanoscale lithum batteriesWed, 21 Mar 2012, 19:33:22 EDT
- NRL scientists demonstrate novel ionic liquid batteriesFri, 15 Apr 2011, 10:03:18 EDT
- ORNL scientists reveal battery behavior at the nanoscaleTue, 14 Sep 2010, 15:21:33 EDT
- Graphene nanocomposite a bridge to better batteriesWed, 27 Jul 2011, 22:33:37 EDT
- ORNL research paves way for larger, safer lithium ion batteriesThu, 24 Jan 2013, 0:05:45 EST