Thawing permafrost will have far-reaching ramifications for populated areas, infrastructure and ecosystems. A geographer in Switzerland reveals where it is important to confront the issue based on new permafrost maps – the most precise global maps around. They depict the global distribution of permafrost in high-resolution images and are available on Google Earth.
- Global permafrost zones in high-resolution images on Google EarthTue, 21 Feb 2012, 10:36:06 EST
- Thawing permafrost likely to boost global warmingMon, 1 Sep 2008, 3:49:46 EDT
- Stream water study detects thawing permafrostWed, 5 May 2010, 15:46:43 EDT
- Thawing permafrost likely will accelerate global warmingWed, 16 Feb 2011, 13:37:49 EST
- Bad sign for global warming: Thawing permafrost holds vast carbon poolWed, 3 Sep 2008, 11:09:11 EDT